Lurches/Whippets

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Are they particularly prone to damaging themselves? Friend has one that seems to be continually in the wars with one thing or another ??‍♀️

gryff

Visit site
My first two were. I had about 8 months, at one point, where I took one to the vets to have stitches out, then had to bring the other one in for stitches in the afternoon?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️. Both lived to a ripe old age though and were never ill. I lost one at 19 and the other at 16.
My current three have had no issues at all - fingers furiously crossed.

paisley

Visit site
Are they particularly prone to damaging themselves? Friend has one that seems to be continually in the wars with one thing or another ??‍♀️

To the extent that I'd watch mine belting off on a walk and think "hope this isnt too expensive"

He'd also be damn lucky if he was allowed off lead on any public holiday, double vet fees!

There's also the command "Show me" where he'll stop for inspection of the damage and treatment (yes, I carry a mini medical kit ?)

Annette4

Visit site
Yes. And very dramatic with it, a lot of screaming for the smallest injury.

Dobby is like that (he couldn't possibly walk on his leg - nip resulting in small hole) for 3 days.

Fizz is the exact opposite. She skinned her front leg half way through a walk and I had no idea until she bled on my car seats :eek: I've lost her in the woods next to where we do toss and fetch before and she's reappeared with a massive thorn in her side without a flinch.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Our aged deerhound/bull terrier lurcher has only skinned a leg once when he was much younger. He has a sensitive tummy and has medication for a bit of urinary incontinence but other than that has been a very healthy and straightforward dog.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Yes! I usually have the bank holidays reserved for injuries - you know, just for extra satisfaction!! The cone of shame is available at all times, never put away, because, well, that would jinx it now would it?!
My eyes now always are peeled for barbed wire and thorny bushes and I'll do my best to keep (the brainless) whippet-thing away from.

Baccara

Visit site
Like all dogs, it just depends. Ive had more greyhounds and lurchers than the fingeer on both hands. My current lurcher, Colin has only had one trip to the vet in the 11 years Ive had him. He managed to run into our drive gate, split his side open, and screamed like a banshee! Others Ive had, had scrapes and cuts which have only been noticed after a cuddle. So it does depend on the individual .

{97702}

Visit site
Like all dogs, it just depends. Ive had more greyhounds and lurchers than the fingeer on both hands. My current lurcher, Colin has only had one trip to the vet in the 11 years Ive had him. He managed to run into our drive gate, split his side open, and screamed like a banshee! Others Ive had, had scrapes and cuts which have only been noticed after a cuddle. So it does depend on the individual .

I just had to say, Colin is a wonderful name for a lurcher ??

{97702}

Visit site
Yes. And very dramatic with it, a lot of screaming for the smallest injury.

Oooo no I’ve found lurchers just the opposite - Talisker ripped his dew claw clean out 3 times and didn’t make a sound, Millie has come back from running around in the woods covered in blood and looking like an abattoir and she was bouncing around quite happily ??

The greyhounds on the other hand..... oh yes, the Greyhound Scream of Death..... ???

{97702}

Visit site
Which is why Millie is no longer allowed off the lead on normal walks now, every single time it resulted in picking her up 3 miles away where someone had found her and/or a trip to the vet for stitches ?

lovekita

Visit site
I just got my lurcher 4 weeks ago (shes goimg 3 month next tusday). She is always puting herself in between horses legs. She is gomna get walked over. Only a mater of time. But she is already badly injures as she stuck her back leg in a bench last week went she went to jump off it... All hip ligament damaged. She sein 2 vet and im bringing her again next friday to a 3rd vet to see if i rather amputate as she isnt putting leg propelly down. I got her to go hacking in harsh mountain with horses and beaches for gallop... perfect breed they said. Sound like she wont make that active life after all?

Attachments

• 20200714_193840.jpg
    20200714_193840.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 14

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The vet told me 3/4 of injuries he sees are springers. We had to stop going to the woods because of Zak’s werewolf behaviour with other dogs, but since we no longer walk there, there have been almost no injuries bar Bear yanking muscles/snapping dewclaws running through the woody bit of the park.

Brownmare

Visit site
My first whippet liked to do something major to himself at least once a year ? but sadly he also ended his life the same way by running headlong into a tree ????
Second whippet so far seems to have slightly more of a sense of self-preservation **touches wood frantically** and her worst injury to date resulted from the removal guys shutting her tail in a door and breaking it!

twiggy2

Visit site
I just got my lurcher 4 weeks ago (shes goimg 3 month next tusday). She is always puting herself in between horses legs. She is gomna get walked over. Only a mater of time. But she is already badly injures as she stuck her back leg in a bench last week went she went to jump off it... All hip ligament damaged. She sein 2 vet and im bringing her again next friday to a 3rd vet to see if i rather amputate as she isnt putting leg propelly down. I got her to go hacking in harsh mountain with horses and beaches for gallop... perfect breed they said. Sound like she wont make that active life after all?
It's only a matter of time if you don't stop her doing it, she is a dog and only 12 weeks old she won't know the risk she is at, accidents happen but allowing her to be around the horses feet is foolish

TwyfordM

Visit site
Given we found a hole in my greyhounds neck that looks like she's had a run in with a pencil or something a similar size/shape today and absolutely no clue whatsoever how she's done it .. Yes bloody accident prone! ?

The scream of death is so so accurate ?