lying/ exagerating..more common in the horse world?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
This is actually why I like the horse world so much: you can tell me all the lies you want, but you can't ever lie to a horse.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
FW, please know I was not talking about you. I know there are actual rescues. But a lot of people play the abuse and rescue card because they get the attention they need out of it. I'm talking animals here. I have a SIL that Facebook has suited this purpose nicely. Really it's an illness with her. It's a very sticky situation as I have tried to intervene and point these things out to husband. It doesn't end well.

Terri

Lol I know you weren't but you reminded me how much I hate folk playing that card.

I used to work for a dog rescue and someone phoned me once to off load a dog and she said she thought it had been abused before she got it because it was terrified of lawnmowers and plastic bags - right so it was abused by a plastic bag wielding lawnmower was it?!:D

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I had to laugh at a girl who had broken in so many horses over the years and was always telling stories to anybody willing to listen. so when the time come for her 3 yr old to be backed I thought I would cast a eye over if I was around doing my horses to see if I could pick up any tips, without her knowing of course. Anyway I was shocked and she had never broken one in and had to send him away to break and than somebody re backed him for her a year later. She didn't have a clue so why lie and look stupid?

fatpony

Visit site
I used to have a sharer for my pony ( 4 y.o. at the time) but I stopped because I got fed up hearing stories from her about how he had spun or bolted or bucked etc. I just couldn't listen to it anymore - either she was lying or she was seriously pissing him off!

touchstone

Visit site
This is actually why I like the horse world so much: you can tell me all the lies you want, but you can't ever lie to a horse.

That is so true! :D

Pondering on this more, I think it works the other way too, sellers saying horses are safe as houses which blatantly aren't; horses which are lame being sold on without informing potential buyers, sellers lying about the horse's age etc.

There are real dangers in lying about things, either risking the neck of a potential purchaser by a seller who has lied about the horse being as quiet as they have said, or a buyer/rider overestimating their abilities and being overhorsed.

The instructors professing to have done this that and the other and charging for their 'experience' are simply fraudulent, but it just goes to show how far reaching a little exaggeration can become.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Touchstone you actually have a point, what the girl did in this case was deception. Surely there must be a case that her instructor fees were 'theft' as she was obtaining them by deception...interesting.

charlie76

Visit site
One of the people I am talking about once told me that she was running late as she had been jumping at a county show of which she was jumping and she would be as quick as she could as she was travelling by helicopter!!!! She arrived late in her white jods ( of course) as she had been competing ( apparently!!) not a single mark on said jods and it was all made up!!
Madness!!!
And tempting as it may be to flower your horses eventing career, I have caught many on the market out by simple using bdwp. It's amazing what some horses are priced at as they have been BE intermediate, yep, but you never got round!!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
At my old yard we had a girl we refered to as Jenni (as in Lawreston-Clarke) or Pippa (funnel) depending on what discipline she was talking about at the time. We just used to laugh it off.

However when I actually was placed at my first ever BE intro she couldn't even summon up the manners to say well done, or even look me in the eye.

It's all wishful thinking as far as I'm concerned. As for on here I think I tend to underestimate my abilities and I don't think I've ever given people riding advice. I'm just not good enough.

charlie76

Visit site
That is so true! :D

Pondering on this more, I think it works the other way too, sellers saying horses are safe as houses which blatantly aren't; horses which are lame being sold on without informing potential buyers, sellers lying about the horse's age etc.

There are real dangers in lying about things, either risking the neck of a potential purchaser by a seller who has lied about the horse being as quiet as they have said, or a buyer/rider overestimating their abilities and being overhorsed.

The instructors professing to have done this that and the other and charging for their 'experience' are simply fraudulent, but it just goes to show how far reaching a little exaggeration can become.

The trouble with instructors qualifications, if they are claiming to be BHS qualified and have 'lost ' the certificates the BHS won't tell you if they are really qualified as its apparently against data protection, I have , on a number of occasions have been suspicious of qualifications held and have had no way of checking.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The trouble with instructors qualifications, if they are claiming to be BHS qualified and have 'lost ' the certificates the BHS won't tell you if they are really qualified as its apparently against data protection, I have , on a number of occasions have been suspicious of qualifications held and have had no way of checking.

You could ask to she an insurance certificate for the teaching they do - that should contain details of BHS qualifications (but then again I suppose the dog could have eaten that too ;))

Lies can be very hurtful and dangerous when it leads someone to trust advice that puts them in a dangerous situation with a horse. However, I really have no ill feeling whatsoever towards those who embellish the details of their life or riding career just to show off or have something to talk about. Those types are found in all walks of life, not just horses - in fact I actually know a man who worked in the design office of BMC with Alec Issigonis when they conceived the mini (he would have been about 4 at the time). But I actually really like this kind of person - I love listening to their nonsense stories, they make life more interesting :)

nix123

Visit site
Well thats me b*ggered then, cos if anyone asks what discipline i do i just say "promising plodder" one down from happy hacker if you didnt know!:p

Dunlin

Visit site
Back when I was in riding schools I met at least 20 horses who were related to Milton and more that were related to Downlands Cancara.

There was also the time I saw my friends newly purchased Fjord which was actually a fat, badly hogged New Forest.

Money can't buy you talent but it did for one girl who paid the yards instructor to lie and tell everyone she was jumping 5ft on the school donkey.

I find it a source of entertainment but when money and safety come into the mix it's completely unacceptable.

Sunshine

Visit site
Unfortunately from experience it does seem more prevalent in the horsey world. On a livery yard once one of the liveries told every newby that another livery had been banned from keeping animals by the RSPCA, that her son was winning Grade B SJ, that she'd had a string of polo ponies in her youth, and that the chair of the local RC was not allowed to see his kids due to inappropriate conduct, so could not pass a CRB check.

Turned out she had 'bought' a horse on instalments and failed to pay in full, loaned one which got severely injured with no insurance and sent it back, and had run up a massive debt over £500 to the owner of the yard. She caused so much aggravation in that locality that she was eventually shunned by all. Heard recently she has moved onto another RC.

People like that are pure poison and best avoided, but are usually expert manipulators.

burtie

Visit site

Not true, someone once enquired about my BHSAI qualification. I wasn't a reg'd instructor at the time but was a BHS member. They couldn't find any evidence as I'd done them in my maiden name. They therefore wrote to me (this was the first I knew about the enquiry!) to tell me about the enquiry. I spoke to then and told them my maiden name and the dates and exam venues. They then wrote back to the person enquiring to inform them that I was qualified as I claimed to be!

Nicnac

Visit site
I think OP was referring more to those who live in a bit of dream world in terms of their ability/horse power/results rather than out and out deception which could cause harm. Two very different things imo.

Back to original question - no it's not just the horseworld. My husband and his mates jump waves out windsurfing, these waves grow and grow and grow in height and ferocity the more the 'run' is recounted, same snowboarding etc. etc.

maxapple

Visit site
My fav is people who write on Facebook - horse came 2nd in elementary dressage - omitting there were 2 in the class!

Or people exaggerating their horses behaviour - 'my horse reared and bolted' when what actually happened was said horse spooked at a something, did a tiny spook and trotted for a few strides. Or 'I fell off and had to go to a&e' when what happened was they slipped offvthevside, hurt their arm, made a drama out of it and went to a&e to be told they had a bruise!!!

snooples

Visit site
I dont see how people think they can get away with lies in this day and age of all results being online.
I heard someone claim they evented to international level whereas their record states they have only competed at intro level and not very well at that!!

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site

We're happy to say that this has recently changed, and anyone who is concerned about the validity of a person's BHS qualifications can now check them with us by completing a short form. Please call the Exams team on 02476 840508 or email exams@bhs.org.uk if you need to make a check.

If anyone claims to be a BHS Registered Instructor, it's quick and easy to check this - just visit our website to look them up. NB: there are a very, very small handful who choose not appear online but in those cases, a quick call to the Training team on 02476 840510 or roi@bhs.org.uk will also give you your answer.

We always recommend anyone progressing along our qualifications route joins the Register as an Instructor or Groom (please note that this is voluntary and a person doesn't join the Register automatically on gaining qualifications).

If your Instructor is BHS Registered, this means they will be appropriately insured, attend regular Continual Professional Development training days, have current current certificates in First Aid and Safeguarding and Protecting Children (formerly Child Protection), have had a criminal record check, and agree to a professional Code of Conduct.

TGM

Visit site
Just want to make a comment on BE records for riders who have been eventing a long time. Often you won't automatically see records for a rider before 1999 on a straightforward search, even if a rider has competed before that date. However the horse records seem to show all runs before that date.

Let say you were checking the record of Simon Jumps-Wildly who claimed to have competed Advanced in 1996. If you put his name into a BE rider search it would only show him competing from 1999 so you might assume that he is lying. However if his Advanced horse was still competing post 1999 then you could click on the horse name and see the pre 1999 runs, but the rider name will be recorded differently, probably as Mr S Jumps-Wildly, and you can click on that name and see all his older results.

Just a point to bear in mind before claiming someone has fabricated their eventing history!

Mistywoo

Visit site
Yes the big problem in the horse world, well most poignantly for us at the moment, is the people who shout the loudest have nothing to offer in terms of guidance or assistance.

The people who have lots of answers and lots to offer are the ones not making a scene to get your attention so often get over looked or drowned out.

PingPongPony

Visit site
I would probably be classed as one of the liars, as every time I say anything at all about how awful my mare has been, she decides that its the perfect time to behave herself again, so she always makes me look like a liar :( At least theres 1 person who has known this horse for years and sees it behave horribly quite often so she can confirm that i'm not lying but it still makes me feel stupid :(

RunToEarth

Visit site
I've never looked up anyone's records online, I find horsey chat boring most of the time so I'm only half listening!
My one pet hate is people that "gallop" everywhere. "When for a ride and my mare galloped off" when they just don't seem to register the difference between canter/gallop...

fatpiggy

Visit site
I've never looked up anyone's records online, I find horsey chat boring most of the time so I'm only half listening!
My one pet hate is people that "gallop" everywhere. "When for a ride and my mare galloped off" when they just don't seem to register the difference between canter/gallop...

He he, people used to say they'd seen me out hacking and knew it was me by the speed I was going at - wow, couldn't she gallop? Actually what they saw was my mare doing a very comfortable extended canter which ate up the ground. Very few ever saw her REALLY gallop partly because I had to hack out alone as she was a pain in company, and partly because they'd have needed time-lapse photography or just seen a blur because my God, she really could shift. Her boyfriend was a 16.3hh Irish TB compared to her being a 15.1hh Welsh D X and he was more than 10 years younger than her, but she left him and everyone else standing when they had mad half hours in the field. I used to get whiplash when she accelerated away and more often than not couldn't see anything for the tears gushing out of my eyes due to the resulting wind.

Going back to the original topic though, in my experience, the ones who shout the most know the least. The bigger their confabulations the lower the standard they have actually achieved. Its the theory of indirect proportionality.