Lymphangitis aftercare of skin

Carrottom

Visit site
I'm going to try to speak to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any pearls of wisdom:
My horse has had a bad case of lymphangitis, he had IV painkillers and antibiotics and steroids and is now on oral antibiotics and Danilon. His leg is going down but still filled below the hock, the vet said it could take 2 weeks. At this time of year I usually start using mud fever prevention, either cream or powder but I'm not sure about putting it on his skin which still looks stretched and has been affected by the fluid that oozed through it. Does anyone have experience of this please?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't put anything on it without asking your vet first maybe flamazine would be good for it but I would definitely ask first because the skin is so vulnerable.

Global herbs restore is really good after horses have had a lot of medication it helps clear the liver, i always use it if one of mine have been a bit compromised from illness or had a problem and you only need to use it for about a month.

Skips11

Visit site
I've had the same thing recently, my mare has just come out of the vet hospital for the third time in 2 months for chronic lymphangitis, and we have gone through every stage repeatedly and tried everything. I used Flamazine which was great but also E45 really helped the thick scabby bits. Most important to keep the leg dry - towel dry gently after cold hosing/being in wet grass, but the skin is super delicate so only dab rather than rub with a towel. Generally I've found just a bit of E45, trips to the sea and then leaving it alone as much as possible is the best course of action.
I clipped my mares leg as it was much faster to dry and also meant I could see any tiny scratches quickly and hopefully treat them before infection gets in again. Last time she was at the vets, they couldn't find an entry point for infection but knew it must be there somehow, so they covered the whole leg in flamazine daily after cold hosing and drying to be on the safe side.
We've had the most success with hydrotherapy/the sea (great for reducing swelling and healing the skin), and I would also suggest asking to extend antibiotics longer than you think is necessary. We learnt this the hard way!
P.s. Metanium nappy cream is also fab for these things and is £2 in supermarkets!

This is when the skin was at its worst point in July, and this is the leg yesterday, 10 days after coming home (hopefully for the last time). Don't give up!Ebony Leg.jpgJuly Leg.jpgLeg.jpgSept Leg.jpg