M&M WHP Any Advice?

Pixie91

Visit site
So I want to have a go at some RIHS and HOYS qualifiers this year but I have no idea where to start. Shown successfully at county level with plaited workers but never had a go with M&Ms. I have a 7yr old, very pretty connemara gelding. Any advice on where to start, what to wear to stand out in the right way and the correct tack for the horse would be much appreciated. Also are NS universal bits allowed?? Look forward to hearing any advice!

minesadouble

Visit site
If I were you I would get out and do some novice workers first. Most BSPS areas will be running their early shows now. My advice would be go and watch one then enter the next. Chasing qualifiers is an expensive business and few people would try before giving a pony a novice season first. I'm not saying it's not possible to qualify a pony in it's first season but it wouldn't be easy.

As well as being pretty he must have good conformation, action and be true to type as well as obviously needing good jumping ability and a confident jump over varying obstacles. M&M WHPs don't face as big tracks as the plaiteds but at qualifiers they will be up to height and may be trappy too. Good Luck!

gallopingby

Visit site
Start with novice classes and see how you get on. The way to stand out is to keep tack simple!! Far too many now go in a collection of whatever is trending, a snaffle and no martingale as long as your pony is nicely schooled will get you a long way. The finals at HOYS and RIHS are very different tracks. RIHS is more a proper WHP course with plenty of room and pony needs to be able to gallop and go through water. HOYS arena is small and the course will be more technical - you will need to make sure your pony has been show jumping inside if in the bigger height classes, although qualifiers will vary depending on the venue. Remember there are fewer and fewer opportunities to qualify each year and unless you live within about 2 hours of Birmingham you're going to be permanently on the road!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have known judges who prefer to see all WHs in a martingale. You might need to watch a few judges to work out which ones do/don't prefer different pieces of tack.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I would definitely turn up and watch or compete at your local NPS, PUK, BSPS and Showing Register shows and see how it goes. The competition will be TOUGH! Your jumping technique, turnout and go round must be foot perfect. Take a look at Equinational photos for turnout and tack advice. You will also need to check on membership as you will need to be a member of one of the affiliated societies before you can qualify. You will also need to read the rule books on bitting in the different classes. You do not need to get a WH uniform of flash noseband and martingale if your horse does not need it. Some judges actually like to see a novice in minimum tack!

pennandh

Visit site
I do a bit of WH on Mr. H (rising 20, 13.1hh Highland, so we don't do big classes, but still), and my own personal experience has been that:

- Use the simplest tack possible, but control is paramount, so don't be tempted to strip your bridle down further than is safe (this may require a bit of experimentation at home and small shows to get right).

- If your pony can jump safely without boots, do (it looks much neater), but again, don't take off necessary equipment for appearance's sake.

- If you can afford one, get a proper old-school working hunter saddle, especially if your pony is a little short in the neck (as many M&Ms are), because it is amazing how much better the front end will look in a straight-cut saddle than in a GP (or even a VSD, to be honest - proper WH saddles take a bit of getting used to, but they look 1000x better than anything else and they're very nice to jump in once you've found the knack). If you can source one that fits without a numnah, even better (if it really needs padding under it, find a numnah that matches the colour, shape, and size of the saddle very closely so as to be as discreet as possible).

- Certainly at higher levels, knife-edge stirrup irons are so much smarter than anything else. If you're not confident about the efficiency of your stirrup bars for releasing the leather if you get a foot stuck, though (the system works far better on some saddles than on others), look for safety stirrups that are as plain and traditional-looking as possible (and not peacock irons for adults ever because that's not what they were designed for and they bend).

- If you feel you may need to use a stick, there are people out there who do very nice leather-bound short whips with brass caps and rattail ends, or white linen-thread-bound ones with leather handles and flappers if you prefer something a little heavier. Either is much neater than a standard short whip or jumping bat, and far more practical than trying to use a show cane for anything other than decoration.

- RHYTHM! I mean, it shows up in all WHP, so presumably you're already fairly up on it, but I see so many people go round WH courses like they're showjumping and it makes me want to cry.

mcnaughty

Visit site
So agree with the above on boots! They must be plain .... absolutely no day glo pink! They can also look completely rediculous in a feathered pony lol like tight legwarmers with fluff sticking out each end!

Rhythm - oh yes. You are not show jumping - the judge does not want to see trotting if you can help it, flat out gallop, rushing into fences or bouncing in front of the fences. A smooth forward going canter with minimal trot if necessary to balance or change leg.