M6 closed near Birmingham after horse box crash

WelshD

Visit site
To be fair the skateboarder wasnt being deliberately disrespectful in the face of the accident, he was stuck in the jam some miles back and simply trying to entertain himself, as others do in stationary traffic
He would have had no idea of the tragedy unfolding up ahead

meandmyself

Visit site
The photo that got me is the one of the lorry. I can't believe how badly the cab is damaged!

So sorry for the loss of the pony and dog. Hope they both went quickly.

The man on the skateboard doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's not like he was stopping the rescue crews from working.

Mince Pie

Visit site
To be fair the skateboarder wasnt being deliberately disrespectful in the face of the accident, he was stuck in the jam some miles back and simply trying to entertain himself, as others do in stationary traffic
If you read the comments at the end of that article he says that himself, and apologises for any offence he may have caused.

maree t

Visit site
So sorry for the loss of the pony and dog. We recently broke down in the horsebox on the M26 and spent an hour and a half on the hard shoulder. Thank god our ponies who had to stay on board were so so good but the highways people were fantastic and were prepared to close the motorway if they became distressed. The kids were sitting away from the box but the lorries thundering past were horrible. We were very lucky and all ended well but I live in dread at being stuck in the most dangerous place on the motorway.
I hope the owner is recovering

applecart14

Visit site
The pics on the daily mail website are chilling :(

Makes you wonder about a single person travelling alone with 3 horses and a dog though, it seems that no one with the lorry was able to catch the horses, not criticising the woman obviously - just a musing :)

Those poor horses must have been terrified, and must have jumped off themselves? Well done on them for loading too - that is not easy. I have had to load my friends horses after the trailer they were in flipped over, it took a while!

I always travel on my own but often wonder what I'd do in an emergency. To be honest there is very little you could do, in reality a frightened horse is a very dangerous horse. Best left to the professionals, and a bit of calming juice injected into the horse.

Visit site
Been reading through the threads.
Just to support information covered. I was one of the member of public at the scene (100m behing the crash, saw the horses jump). Two children in the horsebox cab caught the animals, who bolted after the crash. They were unhurt, acted magnificently. I calmed the grey who was well behaved considering the trauma. Emergency services took control immediately. My prayers and thoughts are with the two injured parties, especially with the van driver.
This was a very, very lucky escape considering the impact.

MagicMelon

Visit site

Exactly. To be honest, who cares about the skaterboarder anyway?! How horrific for the owner to have lost one of her horses this way, my absolute worst nightmare. And to lose her dog too by being run over, not even in the accident is pretty brutal too :(

JS65

Visit site
I didn't realise the horsebox driver had children in, how awful for them to go through that.
I thoughts are with all involved and hope we hear that all are recovered from the ordeal.

putasocinit

Visit site
So so sad esp to those that lost their lives, so unnecessary, may they fly free, god bless. Hope owner makes a full recovery and children get over the fright.

Oldenburg27

Visit site
The Van cut up the horse box and sadly both stopped in the 1st lane on the motorway and the Lorry hit the horse box sadly. This was from a good source, very very very sad :(

JS65

Visit site
There has been no mention of the lorry driver, the lorry looks totally smashed at the front, do we know how he is ?

Puppy

Visit site
I could cry reading about the little dog :(

Glad to hear that the owner is making good progress in hospital though :)

Solo1

Visit site
A few months ago I went XC schooling with the horse that sadly died. Rider's the friend of a friend, it's so sad and strange. RIP

courier Control

New User
Visit site
Hi Guys and Girls,

Thought I had better register here and post to answer one of the questions as yet untouched. I know the driver of the van involved and have only today discovered it was him. As of today Chris is still in critical condition in hospital and I hope that you will all join me in wishing him a speedy recovery. I have no information as to how or why the accident happened and speculation would serve no purpose. On a purely personal level this guy would honestly do all he can to help anybody he could, and i'm certain that he is extremely grateful to all who assisted him in his time of need. As soon as i hear further progress on Chris I shall update you all here.