Mablethorpe Beach Donkeys - Disgraceful Condition thread pulled?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
:mad:

A member brings an equine welfare problem to light and it's removed.

Please can all members that commented on the pulled thread re-comment. It is paramount that this issue is not disregarded or forgotten.

Tim Johns at the BBC is very interested to hear from anybody who has any information regarding the donkeys, their owner Dallas Denton-Cox, East Lindsey District Council and all those involved in allowing these donkeys to work. I suspect the original thread was pulled due to the naming and shaming of the vet involved.

City Mare

Visit site
Most definitely - I'll go through my profile and do a copy and paste later. Not that any of my comments were material, but does mention comparisons with other donkeys - oh and a link to the petition on the FB page.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Thanks Daisydo and City Mare.

I am very disappointed in the TFC decision to pull the thread. I understand that the TFC has to earn a wage and regard higher orders and is undoubtedly as concerned regarding the welfare of these donkeys as we are.

Have either of you emailed Tim Johns?

Shame on the individual who pushed the button. Freedom of Speech - what an insult to those who actually give a damn about animal welfare and the people who exploit them.

City Mare

Visit site
I'm here!

Right so I have looked through my profile and all previous posts have disapeared.

As i said before (although you won't know due to thread being deleted) I am down south, so don't feel qualified enough to "report" the condition of the poor donks - simple, because, I haven't seen them in the flesh.

I also said that I thought perhaps people seemed unconcerned as generally donks do look said, hairy and unkempt; even when they're in the best of health. HOWEVER, I recently saw donkeys giving rides at a local horse show - and they looked stunning (although still sad looking - but thats just the donkey way I guess). It certainly made me realise that actually the Maplethorpe donkey pictures do not look good at all.

There were previous posts from The Donkey Sanctuary, but no updates from them. But they did confirm that the owner would NOT adhere to their (TDS) best practice and that they were concerned about their condition.

But just because I am miles away, doesn't mean I don't want to help - and am open to suggestions as to what I can do from down here; like you, I am disapointed by the lack of action that seems to be taken so far. People feel concerned enough to post but it there doesn't seem to be much proactivity (or at least updates from those in know). Hopefully there is something going on in the background...

I'll post the facebook link again and the link to the petition (although there seems to be uncertainty of when it's submitted and how effective it's going to be :( )

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-condition-of-Mablethorpe-Beach-Donkeys/249344921760691?ref=ts

http://www.eldc.gov.uk/committee/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=15&RPID=1475355

It would be great to hear updates from those who are closer to home though...and thank you for reposting this subject. It's a real shame the whole original post had to be pulled.

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
It did name a few people (at least one professional person I can think of) so maybe it was pulled due to slander/libel fears??

polly1976

Visit site
I again did not see the original post but having viewed the FB link etc things shall we say do not exactly appear correct. Can anyone post a few lines of what the exact concerns are and how you want others to help! thanks

bumblelion

Visit site
I did get in touch with the donkey sanctuary and the lady I spoke to said that she was aware of the situation and was going to inspect them. I will ring her tomorrow again and see where they are with things. The pictures (evidence) of the poster that went there on holiday were appauling and the person who lives in Mablethorpe backed these photos up and the poor welfare standards of these donkeys.

On a plus note, the donkeys at skegness are very well looked after as my daughter had a ride on them a couple of weeks ago and it looks like I may be taking two of them in over the winter. What I don't understand is why the donkeys at Skegness are well looked after and healthy and the ones at Mablethorpe aren't, when they're so close to each other. East Lindsay district council need to pull their fingers out as even a muppet can compare them and see the cruelty these donkeys have imposed on them, (ill fitting tack, unable to access water freely and long hours).

Godknows

Visit site
Sorry didn't see the original thread and don't have access to facebook. But could the BHS get involved and throw a bit of weight behind it as they came to the rescue of Spud and Carrot?? Just a thought!

canteron

Visit site
I suspect the vet who granted the licence wasn't too happy about being named. The Mablethorpe Donkeys have long been a contentious point, they are the only (I think) Seaside Donkeys in the country who won't sign up to the Donkey Sanctuary Seaside Donkey Scheme - for obvious reasons (they wouldn't be approved with their current standards!).

There have been long term questions about any vet who would OK these donkeys. I don't live in Lincolnshire, but I have picked that up.

I can remember the vets name if you would like to know (nice picture of him on their website). I sure he shouldn't be ashamed of being named?

All the ELDC council have to do is make sure that any Donkey Ride operator on their patch is affiliated to the Donkey Sanctuary scheme and all would be well - it would give them protection against any charges, help Mablethorpe's image and all round everyone would be happier with no real downside?

Last edited:

Emilieu

Visit site
103 views and nobody else comments.

Equine welfare is the top of everyones list, clearly!

Hello, i read the original thread and have followed with interest, I followed the link and signed the petition (can't see the Facebook page as I am at work) but didn't post a comment as I had nothing useful to add and the thread was already at the top so didn't need bumped- maybe others have done the same?

Please update if there is anything else that can usefully be done from afar.

Horses24-7

Visit site
I must say how horrendous i think it is to let animals work under such conditions:mad:

I can't believe members of the public would pay to ride a donkey that so obviously suffering. I lecture animal welfare at a uni and it sickens me the amount of people who are totally oblivious to animal welfare and feel that us as humans have some hierarchy right over other animals. How this isn't prosecutable under the animal protection act i don't know? Are the RSPCA involved? Surely these donkeys should be removed from the owner as they are so obviously not free from pain and suffering!

Please can someone pm me any email addresses etc that I can email to help the suffering of these donkeys stop. Also I'm sure a lot of my students would get involved given half the chance if there is any role they could play please let me know.

mulledwhine

Visit site
I suppose, as I said on the thread that was pulled, a lot of people will have not understand what a healthy happy donkey looks like (as the ones in Skegness are) and will assume that because they are on the beach then checks will have been done and oked, even though the owner seems to have said he can't believe he gets away with it :(

City Mare

Visit site
I must say how horrendous i think it is to let animals work under such conditions:mad:

I can't believe members of the public would pay to ride a donkey that so obviously suffering. I lecture animal welfare at a uni .

Gosh, I don't know how you do that; I bet you hear some heartbreaking stories :(

canteron

Visit site
I did get in touch with the donkey sanctuary and the lady I spoke to said that she was aware of the situation and was going to inspect them. I will ring her tomorrow again and see where they are with things. The pictures (evidence) of the poster that went there on holiday were appauling and the person who lives in Mablethorpe backed these photos up and the poor welfare standards of these donkeys.

The Donkey Sanctuary posted on here to say they were dealing with it and then .... nothing. So please let us know.

I will email all councillors and the vet involved suggesting that all they have to do is make it a condition that anyone who has their donkeys on any ELDC beach will sign up to Donkey Sanctuary standards. I can't see any downsides to that.

After all, Mablethorpe could possibly get some publicity like this .... rather than the negative publicity this has and will continue to do.

http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/node/4512

Horses24-7

Visit site
Gosh, I don't know how you do that; I bet you hear some heartbreaking stories :(

The ones that upset me the most is when animals are being deliberately exploited. Alot of the times it is peoples lack of knowledge but I could rant all day about factory farming conditions, so don't get me started! Lol :rolleyes:

canteron

Visit site
Visit site
Saw original post and have to say if they are in bad condition when theyre on public view, what happens during the winter when they are not working ?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
The Donkey Sanctuary posted on here to say they were dealing with it and then .... nothing. So please let us know.

I will email all councillors and the vet involved suggesting that all they have to do is make it a condition that anyone who has their donkeys on any ELDC beach will sign up to Donkey Sanctuary standards. I can't see any downsides to that.

After all, Mablethorpe could possibly get some publicity like this .... rather than the negative publicity this has and will continue to do.

http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/node/4512

Thanks Canteron. I fully support the Donkey Sanctuary and hoped they would keep us informed too - perhaps their reticence is due to some legal to-ings and fro-ings?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I emailed East District Lindsey Council several weeks ago and have received no reply. I have also emailed the MP for Louth and again not received a reply. Very disappointing.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site

I can't believe members of the public would pay to ride a donkey that so obviously suffering. I lecture animal welfare at a uni and it sickens me the amount of people who are totally oblivious to animal welfare and feel that us as humans have some hierarchy right over other animals. How this isn't prosecutable under the animal protection act i don't know? Are the RSPCA involved? Surely these donkeys should be removed from the owner as they are so obviously not free from pain and suffering!

Please can someone pm me any email addresses etc that I can email to help the suffering of these donkeys stop. Also I'm sure a lot of my students would get involved given half the chance if there is any role they could play please let me know.

Please, please email Tim.Johns@bbc.co.uk.

Emails to ELDC and associates are being ignored.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Many thanks to all those who have replied. :)

I have emailed several people who may have an interest in this story and have been met with apparent disinterest. :(