Mad Cows

dunthing

Visit site
What is going on with cattle right now. Three attacks in a very short space of time. One poor woman killed, dog killed and now a farmer trampled by his own herd. I've been around cattle for years and never known so many attacks. Or are the papers picking up on it and "embroidering" like they usually do?

juliehannah58

Visit site
Having been involved in an accident that left my partner in hospital and my dog killed, I can tell you it's terrifying.

I have just been interviewed on Radio 2 about the subject, with Jermey Vine and David Blunket. If it's all I can do to raise awareness then I bloody well will! The more people who know the better.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I think it's partly in the media eye atm, but also it's the time of year when there are calves about and it's been so hot and muggy, with lots of flies lately I'm not suprised they are feeling a bit tempermental/skittish.
My uncle farms cattle and had a near miss yesterday, was saved by being able to get the landy in time. And this time a few years back he had trouble as well...which is what makes me think its the season for it...

Foxford

Visit site
Sadly, I knew the lady who was killed in yorkshire. It has really shaken me up, and made me think twice about public footpaths running through cattle fields.
frown.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As I have said before on similar threads, I went to three inquests in the space of a very short space of time all dealing with the deaths of three different farmers caused by their own cattle, stretching back several years.
No 'embroidering' on my part, I can assure you.

Aru

Visit site
june and july are the most dangerous time of year to be working with cattle..most cows have young calves at foot and the bulls are at their most dangerous as its the breeding season and they can be territorial and take it very badly when you come between them and their harem of cows...plus as tinkerbee pointed out the weather and fly dont help

marble

Visit site
daughter of a dairy farmer, so have been with dairy cattle all my life, one thing you do not do, it enter a field or area with cows and calves, they are very very defensive, in the "old days" there was not so much use of public right of ways, unfortunately now people feel they can walk in most areas and unfortunately often take dogs with them....the cattle will attack, often what happens is cattle circle dogs, who then run away to owners, and that is when attacks happen, please do not blame cattle, they are only doing what nature intended...instead keep away, also remember, beef cows and bulls may be bigger, but dairy cattle, ie friesans, holsteins are much, much more aggresive.

jrp204

Visit site
The trouble with farmers is that they get complacent around the animals, i'm not being critical as i am a farmers daughter and have stayed in agriculture and have done it too. You think you know your animals but it only takes a silly thing to spook them or wind them up. Most dairy cows would not be out with calves but beef herds will and can become quite defensive.

EstherYoung

Visit site
It's all very well saying don't enter fields of cows at this time of year but you don't always know they are there.

How is best to handle this scenario? Huge expanse of open moorland. You've been walking for about three miles since you last went through a gate. You climb over the brow of a hill and ahead of you, on the only path, are a small herd of cows with calves. You need to get past them, as it's a short way back to the car forwards but an 8 mile trek if you retrace your steps. As it's marshy moorland, making a detour off the official path to avoid the cows may not be safe either. Ideas?

junglediva

Visit site
I dont know what is wrong with the cows this year. We have kept cows for over 30 years and this year whilst calving ive never seen the cows so protective. it must be the weather or something.

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The trouble with farmers is that they get complacent around the animals, i'm not being critical as i am a farmers daughter and have stayed in agriculture and have done it too. You think you know your animals but it only takes a silly thing to spook them or wind them up. Most dairy cows would not be out with calves but beef herds will and can become quite defensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is complacency at all. It's a job. You can't not be around or handle your cows.

We've been kicked, bunted and run at by the odd cow but have never suffered a stampede as yet.

I am not surprised that some herds will attack dogs as they are prey animals and all prey animals work by safety in numbers to overpower their predator. Our milkers are generally rather wary of dogs and move away from them....largely because we move them with a dog. However, we NEVER enter the field of heavily in-calf or newly calved cows/heifers with the working dog......EVER! It's common sense.

I'm not sure what would happen if Bess, our Border Collie, was in with the newly calved cows, but a sheepdog is a whole different thing than a domestic dog that will run away frightened from cows that turn on them. Bess would likely stand her ground and attempt to send them away. Our dog is also trained to run away from us if need be (ie in the event of an attack. She would not seek shelter by us....well I hope she remembers her training if in need of it)

I personally don't believe cows are acting any differently this year to others. I suspect the nice weather we've had has brought more walkers out as the fields and footpaths running through them are nice to walk over at the moment.

Same as in winter, we will see alot of walkers when the ground is frozen too as they know they won't get muddy.

Our cows and calves are only kept together for a maximum of 36 hours anyway. Some think that's cruel, I accept that, but it does help to sever a bond and stop the problems of protectiveness.

Respect is the key here. Even though we are familiar with cows we respect what they are capable of. I would never take my Cocker Spaniel in the field with the cows....only the trained working "cow" sheepdog.

Members of the public are quick to blame the farmer and their cows, but they can't help doing what comes natural to them...the same as the fox can't help killing chickens and the Magpie has a likes to munch on baby birds. Footpaths are the bane of every farmer's life. You can't expect farmers to not put stock in fields with footpaths, it's not feasible, we'd have to give up farming.

Education for walkers is the key. If it concerns you....then don't take your dogs walking over farm land. Grazed pasture will obviously have some stock on it somewhere, otherwise it would be rough and overgrown.

Be aware guys....these attacks needn't happen. There are plenty of safe places to walk one's animals.