mad idea re: turn out?

my bfg

Visit site
Over the last 2 years my girl has gone from hating being stabled to absolutely loving it, in august we moved from a field with a field shelter that I put a door on to create a stable for night time to a yard with stables with a short walk to the fields (DIY with no assistance)

A couple of weeks ago she started to show signs of not wanting to be turned out, planting on the way to the field, needing a haynet to settle (shes always been first out and it hasn't bothered her before this) shes in at the mo due a missing shoe and she's really enjoying it. Due to my work hours she's usually out first and in before 3 others but is eyeing up those who bring in earlier and racing round her field for about half an hour before I get there, she is rugged, has shelter in the form of trees and still has grass though fence line is getting churned up.

I can get her in early at the weekend so am thinking of keeping her in during the week (and schooling each night to give her a bit of exercise) and turning out at weekends only.

Was wondering in anyone else does this routine during winter?

Mince pies for anyone who finished this essay! X

eggs

Visit site
Could you not come to an arrangement with one of the other liveries where you turn their horse out with yours in the morning and then they catch yours in with their horse in the afternoon?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
If your horse is happy in then leave her in and turn out at weekends. No point in turning her out if she is either going to injure herself galloping round, or if she is standing at the gate wanting to be in. My TB is a bit the same - when the weather is rubbish she wants to be in after an hour, so on days like this, I just put her out for a short time. I would love horses which want to be out whatever the weather, and I'm sure my native loves to be, but the TB just doesn't! )

my bfg

Visit site
Have asked around and although most folk will help in an emergency they don't want to do it regularly due to lack of time on their lunch breaks/after work which is fair enough after all we are all DIY.

Have looked into to local grooms to but they can't garrentee what time they would be there also would cost me double my weekly rent to get them to get her in mon-fri.

There are horses turned out later and brought in early so the yards never empty. Though I realise the importance of turn out things are suggesting that keeping in during the week may work better x

Last edited:

catroo

Visit site
Is she turned out alone?

I'm afraid I don't think an hour of exercise is enough, 23hrs a day is a long time to be in a small box!

If your not turning out then you need to get her out of the box twice a day, even if just for a 20min leg stretch hand graze

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I also think 23 hours a day in a stable is not good. Have a think about why she might want to be in. Usually it is food or cold related, but also, at this time of year; fear. None of our horses want to be left in the fields overnight now, but they are happy and relaxed if left in the sand turnout which is right next to the house. I can only think it is because they feel safer there. Also, some horses just don't like mud and water and so hanker to come into the warm dry stable for some respite. But 23 hours a day cooped up is not good for a horse. Try to work out what it is your mare is unhappy with and see if anything can be done.

WelshD

Visit site
I have a pony that doesn't much like turnout in adverse weather (which according to him is most weather lol)

Occasionally and when the weather is awful I will indulge him by just turning him out for a couple of hours in the evening (I get everything ready in his stable, go home for tea then go back to bring him in) but i wouldn't want him to have such limited turnout for more than a couple of days - most of the time I rug him up well and kick him out regardless and he just has to cope with it!

Yertis

Visit site
You know her best, try it and see over xmas when you'll have time to monitor how it's going. I had an older ex racer who refused to go in fields from end of September to mid April, but he did have a little yard off his stable to wander around in if he wanted (mainly he didn't want lol !!)

bakewell

Visit site
Is there any possibility to have a slightly larger stable (corner box?) or one with a little bit of yard outside. If you could get a larger stable and have bed up one end so she at least got a variety of footing it would be better.
I too have a horse that prefers to be stabled. He'll go out for 40minutes, tit around, and then just stand waiting to be let in. He's not even that into grass. He goes out once a day on work days, and I try twice on his days off but you can tell he's not feeling it being lead down the second time. He is in regular exercise and will quite happily work or hack for hours and is never nappy.

lhotse

Visit site
My mare doesn't like to be out too long in winter, so if the weather is bad, then she only goes out for a couple of hours. If it's too windy, she is safer in as she hates it and just charges the fence. Yesterday was fine, we hacked for two hours then she stayed in whilst the ponies went out. Today she went out for an hour. She is perfectly happy, she gets plenty of hay and she's not charging around the field potentially injuring herself. If I tried to leave her out all day long, I think she would go nuts. If your horse is happy, then so long as she gets exercised or turned out for a short while whilst you much out, then go with whatever works best for your horse.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It's your horses so you decide what's best for you and your horse.
Ideally daily turnout is better.
Could you came to an area genet with someone so horse goes out for less time?
You turn theirs out and they bring yours in?

But you know your horse and what makes them happy, you don't wNt them stressed or injured so maybe try your plan and adjusted as needed.

my bfg

Visit site
I also think that its to much time shut in but she really does seem to prefer it. Tried popping her in the school while i muck out but she has a quick roll then paces by the gate.
Only change seems to be wetness of the ground, she has her own field but is surrounded by others, her neighbour who's she's friendly with comes in after her.
Grass isn't as lush as earlier in the year but she's usually stripped grazed so not used to masses of it.
Think I will try it whilst she's got to be in due to shoe then see how she's getting on, goes against what I think she should be doing but if she's happier then its got to be worth a try x

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Is she turned out alone?

I'm afraid I don't think an hour of exercise is enough, 23hrs a day is a long time to be in a small box!

If your not turning out then you need to get her out of the box twice a day, even if just for a 20min leg stretch hand graze

You've contradicted yourself a bit here - you don't think an hour a day exercise is enough, but then recommend two 20 minute (total therefore 40 minutes) leg stretches...........

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would be trying to find out why she behaves as she does when she is out.

I'm not surprised that she isn't comfortable outside tbh, no companion in the field and very little access to grass. I think I'd be looking for an alternative yard.

My Draft mare dislikes inclement weather but she has to put up with it, with her field companions and hay in the field, except in the very worst weather.