Mad mare on the loose.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Not wanting to add to the "why do people own TB's" thread since there's good and bad in all breeds but have to say, my lads behaviour this evening must award him a huge brownie point (since he is a TB and ex racer to boot).

I was schooling in the far end of the field while another was being lunged down the other end. I heard a commotion, looked up and saw the mare break the lunge line and go absolutely nuts! She was rearing, bucking and f*rting before taking off like the racehorse she once was and headed straight for us.

As it's monsoon, the whole place is flooded so imagine crazy horse, flat out, splashing (a la black beauty during opening credits) and coming your way. I had a moment of very tight buttock clench absolutely expecting Casper to just about turn himself inside out and.... not a thing! In fact by the time she had passed us on her 5th lap of the paddock he let out a huge sigh and made it clear that loony mares behaviour really wasn't the thing at all and best we can do is ignore her and carry on.

At that precise moment, the brood mares in the adjoining field were brought in, this means all the lads run whooping at them and herd them out of the field. Great fun for all the mares who take off with tails in the air for a good gallop round before charging into their yard.

I would have totally understood any horse losing it at that point but again, no more reaction than an ear flick.

I am totally gobsmacked at his behaviour and there is little point to this thread other than to say that there clearly are some very, very sensible TB's out there and I feel incredibly lucky to have one of them. He gets no turn out and is fed barley and maize plus ad lib alfalfa enough to turn most into idiots. My last horse would very likely have killed me in the same situation and he was on the whole a pretty sensible IDxTB.

Am happy to be alive to tell the tale and even more so to have this horse in my life.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Well we did have a rather 'explosive time' a while back but that was down to a supplement. He's off it now and this is the result. Daresay a magpie will cough tomorrow and i'll be launched into orbit to serve me right for being so darn smug!

Emilieu

Visit site
:D well done your boy :D
I have had a very similar situation with my ex racer, we pulled into the middle of the school and the mare went round and round and round. Milieu was nearly asleep by the time they caught her and it all calmed down. My (non horsey) mum and gran were up to visit so I was really glad he decided not to join in with the lunacy and give me a showing up.
I suppose they must have seen some sights at the racetrack, crazy mares are nothing!!