Madam Carrie Cat has developed Feline Leukaemia.

Ratface

Visit site
As above. Over the past month, MCC has been losing weight and not bothering to clear up her wet or dry food. Still drinking water though, and doing her "I waaant to get uuup!" "Nooo! I waaant to get dooown!" act. She's lost a lot of weight and also stopped doing zoomies round the barge. Researched the Internet and it seems most likely that she has Feline Leukaemia, which is incurable.
I've spoken to her vets who say that it will be £250 to pts and add to a mass cremation. I said that she is fully insured by Petplan and I will pay any extra. I gave them the policy number, having phoned Pp and explained the situation. (Extra will be £85) Vet clinic said that was all very well, but that they've often not been paid and that's why they demand the full amount up front.
I'm so upset re MCC's illness and this has made it much worse. I can't stop crying, which upsets her.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? It was only a year ago that I had to have King Kevin Kat pts, which was a dreadfully botched job.
The previous owner wants to come and say goodbye to her. I'd really rather that he didn't. When he brought her here, he cried all the time he was here which was difficult for both me and MCC. Currently, they're off skiing and will be back next week.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
So sorry.
Has the diagnosis been confirmed?

I'm confused about the insurance arrangements. Surely all you'd have to pay up front is your excess and the rest is for the vet to claim from the insurance.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh Ratface, I'm so sorry to hear this. You don't need extra upset with the payment on top of the heartbreak.

Having just put down my dear Timothy yesterday (19 years old. Had him from a tiny squib of sick, abandoned kitten), it's a *feeling that I can empathise with.

*but also, I paid £64 for exactly the same procedure.

Ratface

Visit site
So sorry.
Has the diagnosis been confirmed?

I'm confused about the insurance arrangements. Surely all you'd have to pay up front is your excess and the rest is for the vet to claim from the insurance.
Re: the diagnosis. This was made by me, via google. Her symptoms are very obvious and getting worse. Re: paying in full up front. Unfortunately not. The vets say that I have to pay up front because "some insurers don't pay". I told the vets that she was with Petplan, (on a Premium Level Plan)
Oh Ratface, I'm so sorry to hear this. You don't need extra upset with the payment on top of the heartbreak.

Having just put down my dear Timothy yesterday (19 years old. Had him from a tiny squib of sick, abandoned kitten), it's a *feeling that I can empathise with.

*but also, I paid £64 for exactly the same .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
R you need a diagnosis, those symptoms are also those of other things, including kidney failure, one of two extremely common conditions in older cats, and that is treatable.

I'm sorry MCC is ill and hope you can get some treatment and reassurance soon.

Ratface

Visit site
Sorry, pressed "send" too soon. Re vet. receptionist telling me it had to be paid in full up front: she said "We don't care who they're insured with. You've got to pay us before you even sit down in the waiting room".
So, now I've got to choose the death day.
I let the people who gave her to me know the sad news. They immediately offered to pay for the proceedure. I thanked them and declined. Now weepy husband wants to "come and say goodbye". I really don't want him to. It's going to be bad enough for me to cope with without him crying all over her, and I would find it hard not to cry as well. I might resort to saying that I had to rush her in at short notice. Would that be a very bad thing to do . . .?

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I would change vet, and have the cat diagnosed by someone other than Google. I would also try worming her, as one of our cats presented with similar symptoms last summer, and it turned out that he just had worms. The standard over the counter treatment we used regularly hadn't done its job, but one from the vet did. It was less than £15 for the wormer sold by the vet, so hardly unaffordable, and certainly worth trying.

Ratface

Visit site
R you need a diagnosis, those symptoms are also those of other things, including kidney failure, one of two extremely common conditions in older cats, and that is treatable.

I'm sorry MCC is ill and hope you can get some .

Ratface

Visit site
King Kevin Kat was diagnosed with that and had treatment for it, which didn't have any noticeable effect on his ill-health. He died from an incurable stomach tumour.

Ratface

Visit site
I would change vet, and have the cat diagnosed by someone other than Google. I would also try worming her, as one of our cats presented with similar symptoms last summer, and it turned out that he just had worms. The standard over the counter treatment we used regularly hadn't done its job, but one from the vet did. It was less than £15 for the wormer sold by the vet, so hardly unaffordable, and certainly worth trying.
She's already had her monthly worm treatment via vet script. She has had monthly flea and worming treatments ever since I've had her.

Ratface

Visit site
Re: taking MCC to the vet for a diagnosis. Are they then going to add that to the fee to pts? Which I will then have to pay up front?
Unfortunately, I am a widow, with no opportunity to save for events such as these. I have no one who will come with me.
I've just checked for an appointment with the vets. Soonest they can do is 15/04/2024. Two weeks time. So I've booked that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would change vet,

I would also change vet if you can, I paid £104 in December for euthanasia and cremation of one cat, which you’ve been quoted more than twice as much for.

Do you have a PDSA near you Ratface? You are on benefits, I think you've said, so you will qualify for assistance from them.

NinjaPony

Visit site
If she is fully insured, you could start a claim now for the diagnostics and investigate. If you need to pay upfront, could you put it on a credit card? That’s what I’ve been doing for ongoing large vet bills and I’ve received the payouts before I had to pay off the card. Wouldn’t normally advise using a credit card but unexpected vet bills are one of those things they are good for. PDSA is also a good shout, even just for a simple blood test.

Ratface

Visit site
I would also change vet if you can, I paid £104 in December for euthanasia and cremation of one cat, which you’ve been quoted more than twice as much for.

Do you have a PDSA near you Ratface? You are on benefits, I think you've said, so you will qualify for assistance from them.
Thank you for your suggestion re PDSA. I am not on "benefits". I have my OAP pension and my Local Authority Pension. Old Horse has the LA pension in its' totality. MCC and I have the weekly OAP pension.
I've just phoned the vets and described MCC's symptoms and history. I have an appointment at 1800hrs. I don't expect to be bringing her back.
And no, I don't have anyone to go with me.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion re PDSA. I am not on "benefits". I have my OAP pension and my Local Authority Pension. Old Horse has the LA pension in its' totality. MCC and I have the weekly OAP pension.
I've just phoned the vets and described MCC's symptoms and history. I have an appointment at 1800hrs. I don't expect to be bringing her back.
And no, I don't have anyone to go with me.
Fingers crossed it isn't as serious as you suspect.

As for the previous owner, he really shouldn't be your problem so ignore for now, msg him when you feel able to and not before.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Oh I am so, so sorry to read this @Ratface . How much bad luck can a person have, and what is wrong with that vet practise? I've heard of vet hospitals demanding some payment before treatment with uninsured pets, but for insured ones? And it's Petplan, I don't even live in your country, and even I recognise that insurance company, so it's not like she's insured in some obscure new company, which will *poof* disappear before they get payed.

Holy heck, it's like when you get seriously ill, but has to be healthy to have the strength to deal with all the crap. Can you call back and demand to know if they've had any problems with specifically Petplan before, and also ask if it would be enough with a written confirmation via email from Petplan in advance? Can you go to the appointment you've gotten, and just demand that they send in the paperwork to Petplan in advance, so that they know that they get their money, and then they'll just have to do the euthanasia afterwards?
If she gets worse before the appointment, can you take her to someone else further away?

I can totally understand if you don't want to put her through extra examinations. Knowing the end result, I sort of wish that I had done that with Blomma, just accepted that she'd had her time, and euthanised her without trying to fix her latest ailment. But I did what I did, I can't change that now.

About the previous owner wanting to come to say goodbye, maybe try to be both compassionate, but honest, and perhaps send them a message something along the lines of:
I'm very sorry, I truly understand that you want to say goodbye, but I'm alone, and grieving so much that I can't handle someone else's grief on top of what I'm already going through. I hope that you can take some comfort in knowing that I'm spoiling her with treats, and is doing what's best for her.

I hope you have some lovely days together, with lots of purring, and demands on your attention. Again, I'm so sorry, she must've thought she came to heaven when she came to live with you, and had her very own personal slave to look after her.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Ratface

Visit site
Thank you for your responses, judgemental and otherwise. Yes, the vets do need payment before letting me in to see a consultant. No, they don't care that she's insured to the hilt and that I can prove this. I'd made an appointment for this evening but had to cancel it as a very kind friend has offered to front up the money, but it won't be in my a/c for several days. So - MCC and I will continue to co-exist as best we can. She's warm and comfortable, eating very little but regularly drinking and using her (cleaned out twice daily) litter tray with no bother. She's become somewhat withdrawn, but enjoys being stroked and gives continual head bunts.
I will consider my options after having ensured that my adored cat is safely asleep for the last time.

Ratface

Visit site
Oh I am so, so sorry to read this @Ratface . How much bad luck can a person have, and what is wrong with that vet practise? I've heard of vet hospitals demanding some payment before treatment with uninsured pets, but for insured ones? And it's Petplan, I don't even live in your country, and even I recognise that insurance company, so it's not like she's insured in some obscure new company, which will *poof* disappear before they get payed.

Holy heck, it's like when you get seriously ill, but has to be healthy to have the strength to deal with all the crap. Can you call back and demand to know if they've had any problems with specifically Petplan before, and also ask if it would be enough with a written confirmation via email from Petplan in advance? Can you go to the appointment you've gotten, and just demand that they send in the paperwork to Petplan in advance, so that they know that they get their money, and then they'll just have to do the euthanasia afterwards?
If she gets worse before the appointment, can you take her to someone else further away?

I can totally understand if you don't want to put her through extra examinations. Knowing the end result, I sort of wish that I had done that with Blomma, just accepted that she'd had her time, and euthanised her without trying to fix her latest ailment. But I did what I did, I can't change that now.

About the previous owner wanting to come to say goodbye, maybe try to be both compassionate, but honest, and perhaps send them a message something along the lines of:
I'm very sorry, I truly understand that you want to say goodbye, but I'm alone, and grieving so much that I can't handle someone else's grief on top of what I'm already going through. I hope that you can take some comfort in knowing that I'm spoiling her with treats, and is doing what's best for her.

I hope you have some lovely days together, with lots of purring, and demands on your attention. Again, I'm so sorry, she must've thought she came to heaven when she came to live with you, and had her very own personal slave to look after her.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}
Thank you. I've already put the previous owner off. Him turning up and crying all over her wouldn't have been helpful at all.
The very wealthy wife has offered to pay for all her treatment. I've thanked her profusely, but declined.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m really sorry to hear that MCC is not so well.

I’d echo the call to get a proper diagnosis, especially as people are prepared to stump up pending the insurance claim going through. Pet Plan are good payers and will pay vets direct, so I’m pretty shocked that the vets are insisting on upfront payment.

I posted on another thread that I had convinced myself recently that my 23 yo Cushing’s mare had come to the end of her days, but on getting the vet out to see her just a couple of minor tweaks - reducing her Prascend dose and using Keratex hoof hardener on her soles - and she’s back bouncing happily around again. A completely different horse to the dull, footsore horse of a month ago.

I’d presumed that the Cushing’s had finally got her, but not yet it’s hasn’t.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My cat had those exact symptoms also, lethargy, considerable weight loss, dull coat, drinking lots, very vocal and she ended up having thyroid issues which is also another treatable, common in elderly cats, condition. I do think RF that it would be best to try to get a formal diagnosis if you can, there's such a plethora of things it could be. Perhaps you could try another vet that will accept direct insurance payment, even if you have to drive out of area?

Sorry to hear MCC is unwell either way.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Sorry your cat is ill. First you need a diagnosis really. It may well be treatable. This is going to sound very harsh but you are not a vet and if diagnosing was as simple as googling we would not need vets!
Secondly and I do not wish to make things worse for you but please check your insurance as not all pay for putting to sleep.
Old cats can have kidney disease or thyroid problems to name too which can be treated. It may be something worse but you will need tests to find out. Some vets do do direct claims so it may be worth changing vet.
I am sorry you are in this situation but it may not be as bad as you think.
Your vets do not sound as if they are very nice.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Sorry to hear about MCC, she sounded such a character, and they are more than just cats they are much loved companions

I think I'd want to go down the route of getting bloods taken, then make a decision, as YBCM said it could be kidney disease - our dear little girl we had when I was still living at home had it, she dropped a lot of weight having always been a little chubby - she also had something with her thyroid can't remember if over active or under active

While there's no cure for kidney disease, you can improve her quality of life with tablets they give and renal biscuits - I'm pretty sure pet plan covered both her kidneys and thyroid, and then her diabetes when she got them, why not give them a ring and just chat through what they would and wouldn't cover so you know once something is confirmed either way - I'd also ask them about the PTS and what they would and wouldn't cover

Could you get a 0% credit card with no time limit for paying it off? You could then use this for the diagnostic tests and then pay off with the insurance money

Pet plan were brilliant with paying out when "the Alley Cat" had suspected FIP - we never got as far as a diagnosis as he massively deteriorated the night before he was due to have an ultrasound and was PTS - even though we never got a concrete diagnosis, they paid out for various parts (I seem to recall the actual PTS wasn't covered but I can't remember, maybe it was as it was due to the illness). They were quick at doing it once I'd submitted the claim as well

I'd certainly give them a ring and see what is and isn't covered, but in your position I'd want to at least get bloods so you know what you're dealing with - it may be treatable with the help of insurance, if it isn't at least you know there was no other possibility (I too wouldn't put an elderly cat through chemo or ops)

Bluewaves

Visit site
I’m so sorry. It’s really hard having to make a decision of how to treat a cat with symptoms like this. My cat was like this with his diabetes and his thyroid before he got treated. Even though he looks fat and well now, he still has days when he feels sick and is off food and makes me worry that he is feeling worse than he lets on. I hope the vet can advise you.

alibali

Visit site
Hi RF, so sorry to hear about MCC. I think the best thing you can do in this situation is to ring Pet Plan and explain the situation. There is a thing they can do which is basically a pre-authorisation for treatment in some situations. I don't know if your situation would be covered but it's worth asking. Basically it means they guarantee the vets they will pay out an agreed amount. Worth exploring anyway. It would also give you an idea of where you stand financially with the policy IF you decide to have any investigation undertaken. Best wishes to you both