Madam Carrie Cat has developed Feline Leukaemia.

Ratface

Visit site
Dear all. Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I'm feeling a mixture of utter flatness and anticipated grief. I'll invest in some Curtain Therapy (pull oneself together) and go down to the veterinary clinic tomorrow and have a chat with them about what tests they would do to clarify what range of illnesses/syndromes Madam Carrie Cat's symptoms might indicate.
Her Ladyship is currently snoozing on the cushioned saloon settle in Loaf Mode. She's eaten some Cheese Dreamies' garnished premium wet food, and drifted back to sleep.
In a way, I wish that she would die in her sleep. The ghastly mismanagement of King Kevin Kat's euthanasia still haunts me. However, this is another vet practice, where I had a previous cat pts, and it was very peaceful. Gx

Shady

Visit site
I am really sorry Carrie Cat is not well Ratface, but the symptoms you are describing do not suggest FeLV . She is an indoor cat, and it would be extremely rare if you brought the virus in on your clothes.
I am trying to be mindful of your circumstances, and what sounds like a far from ideal vet situation, but you do need a vet to see her asap as it could well be something treatable .
Personally I would accept help from her previous owners, but you must do as you think best
I really do understand how you might automatically think it's terminal, and try and prepare yourself mentally , but I promise you that I have just been through a really horrible time with one of mine, and when he dropped to 3 kilos and was either being sick and/or leaving liquid poo everywhere I thought that was it, but he has finally responded to the correct meds and is putting on weight and looking more like his old gremkitty self again .

Clodagh

Visit site
I wonder if the vet needed money up front as no insurance company that I know of would pay for pts on an undiagnosed condition.
Many years ago my best ever horse was kicked and had a visible broken hock and dangling tendon but the insurance would only pay if I shipped her to the vets first for diagnostics. I was not putting her through transportation so just paid.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Oh Ratface, so sorry to hear MCC is unwell. I hope you manage to get a diagnosis and it's treatable. If it is kidney related, then the tablets can work wonders. My C cat improved massively when he was given them. Sending hugs to you both.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Dear all. Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I'm feeling a mixture of utter flatness and anticipated grief. I'll invest in some Curtain Therapy (pull oneself together) and go down to the veterinary clinic tomorrow and have a chat with them about what tests they would do to clarify what range of illnesses/syndromes Madam Carrie Cat's symptoms might indicate.
Her Ladyship is currently snoozing on the cushioned saloon settle in Loaf Mode. She's eaten some Cheese Dreamies' garnished premium wet food, and drifted back to sleep.
In a way, I wish that she would die in her sleep. The ghastly mismanagement of King Kevin Kat's euthanasia still haunts me. However, this is another vet practice, where I had a previous cat pts, and it was very peaceful. Gx
I hope you get a good outcome. Its a bugbear of mine that vets want people to find large amounts of money straight away. If they can prove they are insured I think direct claims should be allowed.

I'm Dun

Visit site
If you can wait till Friday I can lend you the money. I'd give you it if I could, but I'm so poor its just not doable. I can lend you it for a while though. I can do an instant transfer so its with you straight away. or ring up and pay the vet for you. Just please get a diagnosis. You need to for your own sanity if nothing else.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I’m so sorry to read that MCC is unwell, it can be so difficult to cope with and especially having lost your king so recently. I hope you are taking good care of yourself as well as of your feline ruler.

I would like to echo others in suggesting you obtain a firm diagnosis if it is any way within your means to do so, not purely for MCC’s benefit but for your own peace of mind as well. I know from experience that it is possible to reach a diagnosis without seeing a vet sometimes but I also say this as someone whose family dug the grave for the old cat and then had to fill it in again on finding out she had a treatable infection. 🙈 That was a year ago and she is still bossing us all around.

There may also be other local charities prepared to help you out with the cost of a vet appointment - I fostered cats for one near me and they often assist in similar cases. Our vet practice is wonderful but they too ask for payment upfront, even for insured animals, and then the owner claims back from the insurer. They do not cover the cost of euthanasia for animals over a certain age.

Wishing you and MCC all the best at this stressful time.

Boulty

Visit site
There are a variety of conditions that can cause loss of appetite and weight loss in cats (really sorry but can’t remember how old she is). There’s obviously the common ones of renal disease, hyperthyroidism and diabetes (which if she’s overweight she is at increased risk of) but there’s a variety of other options as cats tend to hide symptoms unless you’re paying minute attention. Some are treatable, especially if caught early (most become harder / more complicated to treat the longer they go on for) some are not but I’d say it’s worth a consult before you write her off.

If she is insured but you’d struggle to pay upfront then if you have transport it really would be worth ringing around to find a practice who would be willing to try doing a direct claim for you as they do still exist. (Your other option if someone will lend you the money for an initial consult which you can pay them back when insurance pay out would be that if she needs further investigations you ask for them to do a pre authorisation with the insurance company which is basically them guaranteeing they will pay the claim. Normally if this is done 99% of vets will then accept a direct claim)

If she’s been an indoor cat all her life (correct me if I’m wrong but I didn’t think she went out) I’d be very surprised if she’d suddenly developed FELV.

paddy555

Visit site
Thank you. I've already put the previous owner off. Him turning up and crying all over her wouldn't have been helpful at all.
The very wealthy wife has offered to pay for all her treatment. I've thanked her profusely, but declined.
I'm so sorry for what you and MCC are going through.

Can I just give a different perspective on this? I can't remember how you got MCC but obviously the previous owners still think a lot of her. If I was the previous owner of an animal in this position I would want to contribute to help the animal get a diagnosis and see if treatment was possible. I would hope the new owner would accept help because I would be doing it for the animal even if that help was only helping to fund PTS.

(Please don't take offence at this comment)

Ratface

Visit site
If you can wait till Friday I can lend you the money. I'd give you it if I could, but I'm so poor its just not doable. I can lend you it for a while though. I can do an instant transfer so its with you straight away. or ring up and pay the vet for you. Just please get a diagnosis. You need to for your own sanity if nothing else.
Thank you, I'm Dun.
I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow morning and see if I can arrange this, and what it will cost. I can probably pay the visit fee - £50 - straight off, but I'll need to find out what the cost of the analysis and reporting will be.
I'll get back to you.
Gill. X

Ratface

Visit site
I'm so sorry for what you and MCC are going through.

Can I just give a different perspective on this? I can't remember how you got MCC but obviously the previous owners still think a lot of her. If I was the previous owner of an animal in this position I would want to contribute to help the animal get a diagnosis and see if treatment was possible. I would hope the new owner would accept help because I would be doing it for the animal even if that help was only helping to fund PTS.

(Please don't take offence at this comment)
Thank you, Paddy555.
I informed the previous owners about MCC's illness and probable outcome. They did offer to help financially, but the caveat was that the previous owner (the husband) must come down and say goodbye to her. He got in such a distraught state saying goodbye to her when she was going to live a calm life of luxury and ease that I think it would be of no benefit to MCC (or me!) for him to come down in the current circumstances.
It took me a good hour to get him off the boat after he'd had coffee, examined the circumstances in which MCC would be living and found them adequate and MCC became quite frightened by his behaviour.
My friend, who initially sourced MCC and is extremely cat-savvy, and who I have informed of the current situation and my plans going forward, agreed that it wouldn't be in her (MCC's) interests for him to come down.
Again, many thanks for your concern.
Gill.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I don't know how old MCC is but having had two cats with FL I do know a bit about that. With the first it showed up at a few weeks old, the other was at 5 which I think is about the norm. If she is older than that I would think it unlikely to be FL but more likely to be thyroid, had a cat with that too. Everything crossed that it is something treatable, just too cruel for you to lose her too.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would, from experience of 3, expect thyroid to make the cat hungry, but thyroid and kidneys are of course the two big issues with older cats so hopefully this is treatable.

I hope you are both OK this morning R.

Ratface

Visit site
Thanks, all, for your kind enquiries re Madam Carrie Cat's current health. She has decided to move away (for the time being, anyway!) from Death's Door. Spent most of the night doing her "I waaant to get uuup" "Nooo - I waaant to get dooown!!" routine. Finally, around 0630hrs, she decided to take over the pillows and I was, yet again, wedged up against The Bucket. And, of course, it was raining, so I had the drips as well . . .
I've cancelled the pts appointment and have now got an appointment for next Wednesday for a full exam and blood work. At least this may give a clearer picture of Madam's health and likely prognosis. Let's hope that she doesn't attempt to shred the vet. I've warned them that she's not particularly keen on new people handling her . . .
GnCxx

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I swear they know when a vet visit has been booked. Ours has been sneezing, watery eyes and coughing. Not eating much looking like he’s going down hill (this is a longstanding issue that requires antibiotics). Book appointment and as soon as I’m off the phone in he comes all bright and breezy, meowing and looking 10 years younger. He’s still going to the vets for bloods and a check over little swine.

I hope MCC remains well between now and next Wednesday and that they find something treatable. They are such a worry.

Ratface

Visit site
Thank you for your kind message. Much appreciated. MCC is now fast asleep, paw over face, snoring gently! I'm going to creep out and go and get fresh cooked chicken and possibly some fresh cooked salmon, to try and tempt Dear Madam to try a little morsel. If she doesn't, I'm sure the neighbours - or the seagull horde will appreciate them.
Fingers crossed.

Birker2020

Visit site
As above. Over the past month, MCC has been losing weight and not bothering to clear up her wet or dry food. Still drinking water though, and doing her "I waaant to get uuup!" "Nooo! I waaant to get dooown!" act. She's lost a lot of weight and also stopped doing zoomies round the barge. Researched the Internet and it seems most likely that she has Feline Leukaemia, which is incurable.
I've spoken to her vets who say that it will be £250 to pts and add to a mass cremation. I said that she is fully insured by Petplan and I will pay any extra. I gave them the policy number, having phoned Pp and explained the situation. (Extra will be £85) Vet clinic said that was all very well, but that they've often not been paid and that's why they demand the full amount up front.
I'm so upset re MCC's illness and this has made it much worse. I can't stop crying, which upsets her.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? It was only a year ago that I had to have King Kevin Kat pts, which was a dreadfully botched job.
The previous owner wants to come and say goodbye to her. I'd really rather that he didn't. When he brought her here, he cried all the time he was here which was difficult for both me and MCC. Currently, they're off skiing and will be back next week.
I'm so sorry to hear this x

Shady

Visit site
Thanks, all, for your kind enquiries re Madam Carrie Cat's current health. She has decided to move away (for the time being, anyway!) from Death's Door. Spent most of the night doing her "I waaant to get uuup" "Nooo - I waaant to get dooown!!" routine. Finally, around 0630hrs, she decided to take over the pillows and I was, yet again, wedged up against The Bucket. And, of course, it was raining, so I had the drips as well . . .
I've cancelled the pts appointment and have now got an appointment for next Wednesday for a full exam and blood work. At least this may give a clearer picture of Madam's health and likely prognosis. Let's hope that she doesn't attempt to shred the vet. I've warned them that she's not particularly keen on new people handling her . . .
GnCxx
That sounds more promising Ratface
Until the vets appointment I would monitor extra closely . Full blood works are expensive and might not be necessary
Take her temperature every day and try and see what her breath is like. Kidney issues can produce a particularv smell
Is she more restless, any tenderness anywhere. Have a poke around carefully.
Dirt box...super important. Try and see what's going on in there , and how many times it's used for both.
Any little thing different make a note of . I have saved so much money and time over the years ticking off lists , and making lists!
It really does help the vets, and your pocket.
Keeping all crossed for you X

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I’m so sorry that MCC has been poorly Ratface but your vet practice sounds horrible. I could understand their attitude if you had a history of bad credit but otherwise I think it is completely unreasonable. If that receptionist had told me I couldn’t so much as sit in reception until I had paid in full that would be the last she’d hear from me. Disgusting, disrespectful and rude.

m1stify

Visit site
my cat lost a lot of weight in a short space of time and it was his thyroid, and just needed a tablet a day and he perked up. So hopefully it is just something like that.

Ratface

Visit site
I’m so sorry that MCC has been poorly Ratface but your vet practice sounds horrible. I could understand their attitude if you had a history of bad credit but otherwise I think it is completely unreasonable. If that receptionist had told me I couldn’t so much as sit in reception until I had paid in full that would be the last she’d hear from me. Disgusting, disrespectful and rude.
Thank you. Yes, but the only other Veterinary Hospital that I have had experience with is the one that made an almighty bodge of King Kevin Kat's euthanasia and they have now banned me. I wrote a review of the practice which was highly critical of their newly-employed young

practioner. They requested a write up and got one. Perfectly polite, factual and with a brief conclusion stating that I would never go there again. No response, other than to send a collection of "In Memori" things which upset me even more.

oldandgold

Visit site
So sorry Ratface that you are having to go through this. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts and off to cross fingers, legs and anything else that can be crossed. Take care

Ratface

Visit site
So sorry Ratface that you are having to go through this. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts and off to cross fingers, legs and anything else that can be crossed. Take care
Thank you so much for your kind message. Much appreciated.

rara007

Visit site
Im not sure what company your vets is but often £250 is the minimum deposit for a direct insurance claim these days. If they don’t do direct claims at all for Petplan then probably worth calling elsewhere as some vets will.