Madam Carrie Cat has developed Feline Leukaemia.

Ratface

Visit site
Today, Madam Carrie Cat favoured the universe and me with a lovely poo! She'd obviously had a bit of the fresh roast chicken that I put down last thing yesterday evening. What a good cat!
She's still stuffing Cheese Dreamies as well. I might try her on fresh salmon today. Any reason that I shouldn't do so?
I've got one tin of Purina Gold Chicken Pate left.
She's still doing the demanding "Must Get Up/Must Get Down" routine from dusk until dawn, and hogging The Pillow. Purring constantly and conversing via "Waaah" unless fast asleep. Currently on the settle, allegedly asleep, but has one eye open if she can hear me move.
GnCxx

Shady

Visit site
Today, Madam Carrie Cat favoured the universe and me with a lovely poo! She'd obviously had a bit of the fresh roast chicken that I put down last thing yesterday evening. What a good cat!
She's still stuffing Cheese Dreamies as well. I might try her on fresh salmon today. Any reason that I shouldn't do so?
I've got one tin of Purina Gold Chicken Pate left.
She's still doing the demanding "Must Get Up/Must Get Down" routine from dusk until dawn, and hogging The Pillow. Purring constantly and conversing via "Waaah" unless fast asleep. Currently on the settle, allegedly asleep, but has one eye open if she can hear me move.
GnCxx
Feed her what she wants, but not too many Dreamies.
If poo was good, you can rule out FeLV and quite a few other things.
If the getting up and down all the time is a new thing that could be important
Not sure how old Carrie is, but aging often brings restless behaviour and picky eating. One of mine is now 16 and since about 13 , she is up and down pacing most evenings and refuses all her normal food by rotation. My cat cupboard looks like a pet food store

Sandstone1

Visit site
I am glad that she seems a little better. Do not despair just yet. Her condition may well be treatable and things may not be as bad as you think. I am a person who often thinks the worst but sometimes its not always as bad as you think
Whatever the outcome if you have some tests you will at least know what you are dealing with.
Should it be something nasty you have the option of letting her go but on the otherside you may be able to treat her and with the help of petplan have her company for some time to come yet.

Ratface

Visit site
Feed her what she wants, but not too many Dreamies.
If poo was good, you can rule out FeLV and quite a few other things.
If the getting up and down all the time is a new thing that could be important
Not sure how old Carrie is, but aging often brings restless behaviour and picky eating. One of mine is now 16 and since about 13 , she is up and down pacing most evenings and refuses all her normal food by rotation. My cat cupboard looks like a pet food store
Thank you for your message. Madam Cat has always been a tear-around cat ever since she decided that I was a safe person to be around. She's 13 in May. She's quite capable of going up and down the perpendicular stairs from the aft cabin to the wheelhouse, but unless the weather is really warm, and she can stretch out and roast her tummy in front of the wheel, she tends to ignore the wheelhouse and stay in the body of the barge. She like sitting on the work surfaces in the galley, watching the sea birds and chattering with menace as they fly and float past.
The getting up and down onto the bunk, as long as I'm in it, has always been a habit of hers. She does the same if I'm on "her" settle in the saloon. However, I'm not allowed to sit on her side (the long side - it's a narrow, upside-down L shape). If I do, she stalks off and sulks under the midships companion way where I can't see her. She's a quick study, having read "How To Train Your Human For Complete Obedience" from end to end.
I'm not sure that she has arthritis at the moment. She can hurtle up the interior part of the wood burner stove chimney with the speed of light. She generally does that as the finale of a temper tantrum!
Thank you and everyone else for sharing your collective wisdom, advice and support. It's very much appreciated. GnCxx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m glad to hear she’s feeling better. I think it’s fair to tell the vet that you have spoken to your insurance people and they will deal directly with them. Bar the usual suspects, I’ve never known a vet refuse to deal directly with an insurance company. Ours had a bit of a whinge for expensive treatment once, they’re a small practice so I empathised and expedited payment.

Proper diagnosis definitely needed.

Ratface

Visit site
I’m glad to hear she’s feeling better. I think it’s fair to tell the vet that you have spoken to your insurance people and they will deal directly with them. Bar the usual suspects, I’ve never known a vet refuse to deal directly with an insurance company. Ours had a bit of a whinge for expensive treatment once, they’re a small practice so I empathised and expedited payment.

Proper diagnosis definitely needed.
Alas, having checked on the vet practice practice, they've sold out to CVS. The animal owners have to pay up front for (at a minimum) the visit before even sitting down.
:(