Madness??

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
I am 73. Last March I had to retire my horse unexpectedly. Since May I have been looking for another horse. Long search - lame horses - suspect sellers. Earlier this week I saw a lovely boy who ticked all the boxes - green in the school but that was expected. Hacked him out and felt so very safe. Hi is 4!! Vetting is tomorrow. Am I mad ??

Ratface

Visit site
Go for it! I'm 77, living with a life-limiting chronic illness. Still riding my spooky, 16hh advanced-sense-of-humour 30yr-old Arabian. I ride on a Christ Lammfelle sheepskin pad, which has a grab handle across the pommel. I always have my little finger hooked under this. I also have long legs and ride long.
I think you'll be fine. Good luck.
PS. I've always found singing helps, too. Distracts the horse and keeps me from being a tense, hunched bundle of nerves.

Birker2020

Visit site
I am 73. Last March I had to retire my horse unexpectedly. Since May I have been looking for another horse. Long search - lame horses - suspect sellers. Earlier this week I saw a lovely boy who ticked all the boxes - green in the school but that was expected. Hacked him out and felt so very safe. Hi is 4!! Vetting is tomorrow. Am I mad ??
No but take bloods just in case he doesn't work out.

Good luck!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes you're mad but for heavens sake what else is life for?!?

As Arnold Bennett said "no pleasure is worth foregoing for an extra 2 years in a Weston-super-Mare care home".

Go for it, but please report back.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Yes you're mad but for heavens sake what else is life for?!?

As Arnold Bennett said "no pleasure is worth foregoing for an extra 2 years in a Weston-super-Mare care home".

Go for it, but please report back.

YCBM I love that saying!

OP your just as mad as the rest of us - life is for living. As the 'youngsters' say YOLO!

fingers crossed for the vetting.

We will need photos too!!

Green Bean

Visit site
You are inspirational! I bought a horse at 50 because I didn't want to wait until I retired at 60+ and wouldn't be physically able to keep up with the horse - you are proof that age is just a number!

maya2008

Visit site
Many, many years ago I bought a just-turned-4 year old. She was my first horse, and had only ever been hacking. On paper it should have been a disaster.

Yet in reality she was the horse of a lifetime. She kept me safe, we had a blast together and she didn’t mind that I needed to figure out the schooling stuff along with her (I had regular lessons!!). Best horse ever. Adding to that, my daughter’s pony has been a foot perfect first ridden since the moment she sat on her at backing at 3yo - they potter along safely in all situations and that pony is a literal saint.