Maggot problems

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This humid weather is a huge problem for my old lad who has suffered 2 sessions of maggot strike this summer. I smother him in Battles yellow fly strike cream twice daily, he has a bespoke fly rug with a long fringe around the bottom of it, fly spray on rug and access to a very shaded shelter which he uses.

Any ideas of what else I can do to prevent the poor old lad suffering. I don't feed garlic but does that help with fly control if I did ? I know it is not ideal for horses, but at his age he can have anything that might help stop fly strike.

All and any ideas gratefully received.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Flypor around the sheath has meant the horse thats suffered the previous 2 summers hasnt had a problem this year.

Its utterly hideous. I have a very stronf stomach but the first time I found maggots was just grim!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Flypor around the sheath has meant the horse thats suffered the previous 2 summers hasnt had a problem this year.

Its utterly hideous. I have a very stronf stomach but the first time I found maggots was just grim!
The problem I have is that he is incredibly skin sensitive. I put phazer around his tummy and thighs along with the Battles cream around the sheath, and he blistered.

I don't touch deosect with any of mine after the little mare had the most violent of reactions to it, which included throwing herself on the concrete yard.

I've just looked at the snuggy hoods fly body rug with the sheath cover, but I can't see how it is remotely hygienic to have pee (assuming he would pee with it on) soaked fabric against his skin, surely that would attract more flies. I attend to him 4 times daily the sheath cover would still be stinky.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I was going to suggest the power phazer gel as it works very well on one of my susceptible donkeys, but no help if yours is allergic. I wonder if something as innocuous as sudocrem slathered everywhere might discourage them without creating a bad reaction? Your poor boy. 🙁

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old horse used to get this. Other than keeping him really clean I never managed to stop it properly.
I always knew when he’d start licking at his tummy what I’d find 🤢

Po Knee

Visit site
I use sudocrem in the mornings and vaseline in the evenings around the sheath edges, plus citronella gel in the general area. My aim is to create an unwelcoming environment, and so far it seems to be working well.

tatty_v

Visit site
OH found them in my old boy’s sheath this evening 🙁 I’d been keeping it really clean but as he has so many melanomas up there it’s hard to get into all the nooks and crannies. Never had it before so I’m doubling down on the deosect and praying for this bloody wet and warm weather to end!

Auslander

Visit site
Assume it's in his sheath AA?
Alf has had a few incidences of fly strike in his sheath, and I have a fairly foolproof method of eradication. I clean his sheath thoroughly to get rid of as many maggots as I can, rinse it out with the hosepipe (many horses may not tolerate this - Alf loves it), then squirt (on vet advice) a tube of ivermectin wormer up there, and massage it into all the nooks and crannies.
I have a theory that our older gentlemen start to smell a bit funky in the rocket pocket department as they age, hence the increased likelihood of flystrike

Reactions: tda

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Maybe Germigel? It doesn’t actually say it’s a fly repellent on the bottle but many websites list it as one, as well as an antibacterial gel. I think it would be worth patch testing since he is so sensitive though.

Otherwise I think I’d give sudocrem or something else greasy/sticky a go to try and make it unfavourable.

Nettle123

Visit site
I used to wash our old boys sheath area daily with dilute Dettol. It built up quite a strong antiseptic smell and seemed to prevent him being attractive to maggot flies. Used it on the sheep too after the odd patch of strike.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Ask your vet if any of the sheep products would help.
We use Clik on our lambs. It has one chemical in it (dicyclanil) & it's only action is to prevent fly eggs from hatching into maggots. It doesn't seem to irritate the lambs' skin. I don't know if it's ok for horses but it would be worth asking.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I have noticed that my old cob attracts flies far more than the younger horses in the herd. At the moment I am using a home made concoction based on eucalyptus oil, put Vicks vapour rub on his fur, and on the headpiece of his fly mask, and zinc and castor oil nappy cream on exposed skin. Also noticed his sheath needs cleaning far more than it used to.

SDMabel

Visit site
I have a mare with a paralysed tail that gets fly strike on her dock if im not careful.

I try to keep it as clean as possible and use Clik the sheep fly application that Goldie's mum mentions above.

My mare has pink skin and is very sensitive, we did a patch test first but she had no reaction, I keep a streak of that on her dock then at least if I miss the eggs they wont turn into maggots !!

Might be worth an ask ?