Magnesium amounts - calmer & balancer?

nativepony

Visit site
I feed a calmer and also a balancer. It’s just occurred to me that they both contain magnesium so would I be feeding too much, which am I right in thinking can have the opposite effect from a calming point of view? I’m happy with the calmer I’m using and have been feeding Thunderbrook base mix but was thinking of swapping to their Daily Essentials as my mare is a good doer but just worrying I may be feeding too much magnesium?? 🤔

Shay

Visit site
Magnesium is relatively easily excreted. You'll be wasting money if you feed too much but probably not harming the horse. You must allow plenty of water so excess can be excreted in urine. If you feed more than the horse can get rid of that way they will develop diarrhea as the horse seeks to excrete more than can be removed through urine alone. But unless you catastrophically dehydrate the horse whilst continuing to feed excess magnesium you won't harm the horse. Only your bank balance.

Leg_end

Visit site
As the other posted said, excess magnesium is excreted so you won’t do any harm. My horses are currently on 60ml mag ox per day and I know others who feed 100ml+.