Magnesium for Moody Mares?

Zirach

Visit site
Hi all, we have been feeding our mare Stroppy Mare in her food as she can be well, rather a 'stroppy mare' at times!

She really doesnt like the taste and to be honest with you I havent really noticed a huge amount of difference in the 3/4 months we have been feeding it.

I have heard from a friend that magnesium supplement (not the sulphate epsom salts as dehydrates) is good for stroppy mares and also helps with general overall calming (she can be quite a fizzy mare).

I have seen the commercial based products such as magic etc. but has anyone any other recommendations. There are so many to choose from!

Can you buy it in a more 'pure' form?

WandaMare

Visit site
I asked this question in the saddlery because someone recommended i give my mare a magnesium supplement too. She recommended Magnitude as the magnesium content is higher than in some of the other supplements. Its about £18 so not too pricey and lasts for ages. I've been happy with it and have noticed a difference in my mare so may be worth a try....

Zirach

Visit site
Thats sounds good to me - will have to ask my feed merchant for that. If it helps takes the 'edge' off her as well, then even better!

sackofbadgers

Visit site
I buy pure magnesium from my feed merchant for £4 a kilo. Very excitable mare who is now much improved. Still has her personality ;) but not so manic. It is the stuff he uses when he mixes his own feeds.. A kile lasts ages too as only feed 5ml a day

Zirach

Visit site
I buy pure magnesium from my feed merchant for £4 a kilo. Very excitable mare who is now much improved. Still has her personality ;) but not so manic. It is the stuff he uses when he mixes his own feeds.. A kile lasts ages too as only feed 5ml a day

-I will have to ask at my nearest feed merchants - I think thats Copdock, Ipswich as I dont think they will have that at tack shop I use. Thanks, that sounds a bit more cost effective!

skint1

Visit site
Our horse has been on Magnitude for about a month, we're hoping to stave off her mad 6 weeks in spring, I don't know if it's working or not, she has been a bit jumpy the last few days

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
I use Magnitude on my new mare - she wasnt a moody mare and she wasnt spooky but seemed very "Alert" especially when she was stabled.

Made a big difference, she looks more relaxed and softer all round and a 6 months supply is only £18.99

Visit site
Magnesium isn't technically a calmer..

Only horses deficient in magnesium should take it, magnesium deficiency symptoms are usually muscle spasms.

Some mares go into deeper phases of anestrous (not in season main hormone is progesterone) so when they go back in season there is a higher drop of progesterone causing the mare to act more mare-ish in some cases. Look for hormone balancers, Evening Primrose has helped humans but there is not hard evidence in horses, it may work for you though.

Mares that have a form of vaginitis often show the same symptoms as a mare in season. "Management of Estrus in the Performance Mare" is a great paper by Pryor and Tibary, it may shed some more light on the issue.

The issue is often the owners perception has changed once the horse is on a calmer.

Always ask your vet and don't just take the feed merchants advice, look for proven methods!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Cheapest way is to buy magnesium oxide off ebay or even cheaper go straight to the chemcial company and buy a large sack. Also for moody mares the herb angus castus is the actiev ingredient in most of the moody mare type supplements. Much cheaper to buy it straight!

skint1

Visit site
I'm coming to the conclusion that nothing really "works" we've tried most of the calmers on the market as our horse gets very keyed up when we take her out, nothing really mellows her out completely.

We thought the equine science biscuits worked, we took her to a Hunter Trial and she was so chilled out it was great but all the times we've used them since have not really seen the same effect.

hayinamanger

Visit site
I feed calcined magnesite for their feet and also thinking of it's calming properties, it costs about £8 per 20kg bag. I looked on a pot of Magic and the principle ingredient was cal mag.

Visit site
I'm coming to the conclusion that nothing really "works" we've tried most of the calmers on the market as our horse gets very keyed up when we take her out, nothing really mellows her out completely.

We thought the equine science biscuits worked, we took her to a Hunter Trial and she was so chilled out it was great but all the times we've used them since have not really seen the same effect.

Regimate is the best and only real solution.

Although, my mare did well on 'slut mix' awful name, fairly good product...

bvlgari

Visit site
I'm not sure about magnesium, but I put my mare on Equine America No More Moods about a month ago - she isn't perfect now - but a lot better (as in rideable :D). And she goes crazy for the taste - you also use alot less of it than some of the othe supplements so works out cheaper :)