Magnesium question?

Achinghips

Visit site
Is this one of the best supplements to feed, as well as a broad spectrum vit and min supplement?

From what I've read it's good for barefoot and laminitics as it prevents too much sugar uptake of spring grass, it defizzes, and stops itchyness. All of which my lad needs .....

Nocturnal

Visit site
It is certainly often found to be beneficial, the only way to know if it will improve your horse is to try it ;).

Oberon

Visit site
Looking at my personal grazing situation, my forage has lots of magnesium. But is also loaded with a high calcium and a high phosphorous. The high phosphorous means that the horse doesn't have a fair shot at absorbing the magnesium - so I add more to jump over the phosphorous.

Adding random minerals can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.....but magnesium isn't dangerous as it doesn't mess up absorption of other minerals and horses can excrete magnesium easily.

A horse deficient in magnesium have many symptoms - sore muscles and twitching, aggitation, sore hooves, loss of performance.....

High fat in the diet also inhibits absorption of magnesium.

If you add magnesium and the horse responds well to it, it's not because the magnesium is a magic ingredient - it's because the horse was deficient in it and you have got it back to it's normal state.

Oberon

Visit site
The most bio available form without side effects is magnesium oxide (the only mineral which IS best fed as an oxide).

Epsom salts is not good long term. It has a laxative effect and will eventually cause chronic diarrhoea.

Mag ox is available for the cheapest price here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNESIUM...r_Equipment&hash=item3f13969dc6#ht_1296wt_952

but ordering by phoning Equimins is also reported to be the cheapest way too.

jadeturner

Visit site
Hi, i would say is there anything that makes you think your horse may be dificient...or have you had your soil analysed and found that your pasture is low in magnesium?

Most horses get more than enough of most vitamins and minerals from a balanced, healthy high forage diet, and i would say that unless something makes you feel they need it, you are probably wasting your money....

But i am an equine science degree student with a nutrition lecturer with rather strong opinions about the wasted/misuse of supplements! might be worth speaking to whoever you buy your feed from to see what they think, but remember they too are trying to sell their products!

:) :)

Achinghips

Visit site
Nothing specifically makes me feel he's deficient, he came with mag ox which his last owner who had him for 8 years said was good for him. I haven't owned him long enough to see whether there's a vast difference, tbh, though his feetare a little more flaky, but then I'm hacking him out more, so who knows....