magnesium

mightymammoth

Visit site
I feed "straight" magnesium rather than a calming type supplement, I feed it for hooves rather than calming. I've heard that it only works as a calmer if your horse is deficient of magnesium but worth a try.

rema

Visit site
Most horses diets are lacking in Magnesium (not enough in forage/grass)..I feed CalMag from the Farmers shops..I use it for a Laminitic IR as it helps with getting rid off the fat deposits and is good for hind gut absorption..

Tash88

Visit site
I use Magnitude by Equine America, £20 for 6 months supply, you only feed a tiny amount each day so it isn't expensive at all. I use it because my horse is sharp and lacks confidence, of course I do all I can to give him that confidence when riding him but I find that the calmer has had a subtle, positive effect and he concentrates more. Not a major change but all he needed really. Another livery on the yard uses it because her horse is difficult in the field and constantly irritates the other horses rather than settling to graze, this was leading to injuries in the herd so she put him on magnesium and it has helped him too.

pansymouse

Visit site
I feed Magnitude too and wasn't sure it was making a difference but last night when I had my mare clipped she certainly was much less of a pain. Granted she had 3ml of Sedalin and a twitch too but in the past she has always been a monster fidget even with those; the Magnitude was the only thing different this year.

JillA

Visit site
I feed magnesium oxide - much higher percentage of magnesium than calmag, and more palable. Magnesium acts to block the over production of adrenaline, so if they are deficient it is as though they are permanently running on adrenaline. I knew mine was, my soil test revealed a shortage and I gather a great deal of the grassland in the UK is also low, as a result of years of forcing grass with high doses of nitrogen.
If you suspect it might help, it is cheap enough and innocuous enough to just try it for a couple of weeks. If it hasn't made a difference by then it isn't going to, and any excess will have been excreted so no real harm done.

Patricks mum

New User
Visit site
I use Magnitude, worked wonders on mine, I started giving it to him after I had had a major operation and couldn't afford to be falling off. Several others on our yard also use it to good effect.

DJ

Visit site
I use mag-ox, i get it from my trimmer. It made a massive difference to mine, and if i haven`t fed it for any reason (like the last few weeks as we`ve moved) you can tell straight away.

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm going to be the odd one out and say I use NAF Magic calmer... during the summer he was on the powder daily, and the shots whenever I took him out to a lesson (I would never compete with a calmer but I was struggling even to have a lesson at home without him spooking and then bronking me off over the summer!). Did work, one particular day he actually felt like a donkey on the instants... however now winter has hit I've taken him off again, as a) I want to compete and b) He has settled right down since the grass has lost it's lushness.

Next year I'm going to try him on a digestive supplement rather than a calmer as I don't think it was the mag that did anything, I think it was the pre and pro biopics in the calmer. He does get skitty on grass so wonder if the behaviour came from digestive upset? He was also a bit girthy over summer and that has calmed right down too, so think I need to go that route rather than a magnesium calmer next time...

WelshD

Visit site
I stopped the magnesium supplements and started feeding Brewers yeast and salt and thats made a big difference

PollyP99

Visit site
I'm going to be the odd one out and say I use NAF Magic calmer... during the summer he was on the powder daily, and the shots whenever I took him out to a lesson (I would never compete with a calmer but I was struggling even to have a lesson at home without him spooking and then bronking me off over the summer!). Did work, one particular day he actually felt like a donkey on the instants... however now winter has hit I've taken him off again, as a) I want to compete and b) He has settled right down since the grass has lost it's lushness.

Next year I'm going to try him on a digestive supplement rather than a calmer as I don't think it was the mag that did anything, I think it was the pre and pro biopics in the calmer. He does get skitty on grass so wonder if the behaviour came from digestive upset? He was also a bit girthy over summer and that has calmed right down too, so think I need to go that route rather than a magnesium calmer next time...

My mare is the same in every way, spooky, broncing , slightly girthy, on magic worked during the summer now seems v chilled so have left it off as I too think its grass growth related. In summer she's on short grass now on long, the sharp growth of the short may have been magnesium deficient, perhaps the more hay like long stuff ( not so heavily grazed) is not.

Have also had a day recently when she looked so sleepy and rode like a seaside donkey!

khalswitz

Visit site
My mare is the same in every way, spooky, broncing , slightly girthy, on magic worked during the summer now seems v chilled so have left it off as I too think its grass growth related. In summer she's on short grass now on long, the sharp growth of the short may have been magnesium deficient, perhaps the more hay like long stuff ( not so heavily grazed) is not.

Have also had a day recently when she looked so sleepy and rode like a seaside donkey!

Very possibly that, but the fact that Magic has the pre and pro biotics and the digestive soothers make me wonder whether he just has a funny tummy on the rich grass... but something in the Magic made a difference. Will be trials next summer - thinking about trying their Thrive or maybe even GastriAid and seeing if there's a difference...