Magnetic rugs/ bandages yey or neigh?

Delicious_D

Visit site
As with the title, i have never used any of these myself but someone recommended them to improve circulation. Are they any good? The ones i looked at are rather expensive and i dont want to fork the money out on albeit a nice rug, but useless for the purpose?

Lolo

Visit site
Well, we did a blind test with ours- didn't tell the instructor we were using one, worked the horse exactly the same between one lesson and the next but used the magnetic rug over the 2 week gap. In our next lesson, she asked what we'd been doing differently as he was so much looser and willing to work- a big deal, as he was a stiff, slightly arthritic old man!

So Reg wears one, and Bee borrows his! I imagine the new pony will also borrow it when Reg allows her to ;) :D

Delicious_D

Visit site
You getting a new pony? How exciting! Well doen with bee's recovery btw :)

Can i ask why make of rug you used and where you got it? I dont know if it will work on KS and SI issues, but might be worth a try!

asset2004

Visit site
I have both FMBs and Bioflow rugs and also the Aerborn magnetic leg wraps from the Thermalux material.
I use them as a preventative measure and found them both very good.
The Bioflow is 5'3 and is too small for my horses now, PM is interested as its rare to find small magnetic rugs

Delicious_D

Visit site
ill need either a 6'6 or a 6'9 really, otherwise i would be biting your hand off asset :(

Do you think the bioflow come up small?

Delicious_D

Visit site
Neigh they dont work. Check out some papers. Have a good placebo for owners though so if it makes you feel better get one :) if not use a thermatex rug or bandages and you will see the same results

Thought this might be the case :(

She is well rugged to keep warm, was hoping IF they worked, might compliment the shocwave/tildren/steroids shes getting, never mind. :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have some good quality magnetic boots and do have confidence they help. I do realise the act of putting on something that supports the leg will have an effect but I love mine and use them at events and to help any swelling or slight injuries.

Lets put it this way I wouldn't be selling mine to anyone and yes they were quite pricey ;)

Delicious_D

Visit site
Thing is, i dont want to spend a fortune on holistic aids if they dont work :S mare is costing me a fortune as it is on veterinary management!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Thing is, i dont want to spend a fortune on holistic aids if they dont work :S mare is costing me a fortune as it is on veterinary management!

Is there anyone you can borrow them from? The friend I leant mine too was convinced enogh to buy a set of her own and I bought mine after a recommendation from my trainer.

Tiffany

Visit site
There's no real scientific evidence to say they work in any way although I still went ahead and bought a Premier Equine magnetic rug :) It's worth it simply because while my mare is wearing it, she stops eating :D and physio said she felt looser last time she came to see her.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I believe they do work, even if they just give them that extra warmth. I use magnetic boots on my pony. He was incredibly lame and stiff and these have improved him no end!

Delicious_D

Visit site
It not really boots she needs, more for her spine/ SI joint.... i wonder about maybe buying some magnets and sewing them onto an old rug?

Vickijay

Visit site
I just bought a premier equine magnet rug from eBay it still had the tags on and it was £55, so might be worth looking on there.

Mine wore it for the first time at the weekend, I was surprised how warm they were under it. I don't know if it works or not but was willing to give it ago. There is a lot of evidence saying not but lots of people say they work.

I just looked on eBay and there are 2 rugs and 1 kit where you sew the magnets into your own rug on there...

kezimac

Visit site
It not really boots she needs, more for her spine/ SI joint.... i wonder about maybe buying some magnets and sewing them onto an old rug?

I did exactly this I think I bought 10 magnets - then sewed into a rug, my horse now has a back on track rug and boots and so I don't use the magnets - if u are interested I would sell them as just been sat stored and would be cheaper than buying a rug

Nicco

Visit site
Really think magnets make a difference whether used in a rug for back issues or boots for legs problems. Have used them for over 20 years on different horses, eventers and dressage horses and believe they have really helped and kept the horses competing when vets have said competition days are over.

rowy

Visit site
I am a scientist (doing a degree in equine sports science) but like to keep an open mind so bought some cheap equilibrium magnetic stable wraps.
My mare has always used ordinary equilibrium stable wraps so just swapped to the magnetic ones.
I forgot I had swapped them and her joint supplement ran out and she usually goes a bit lame and stiff on the lunge when she doesn't have the joint supplement.

I was shocked to see her completely sound and not stiff at all! Because I had forgotten she had magnetic boots on I was confused as to what made her much better before remembering the boots. Her legs are much less filled as well so was impressed.
I would buy a rug as well but don't think it would work as well because her back is dippy so it wouldn't touch her back. The equilibrium massage pad worked wonders on her though.

SillySausage

Visit site
I am a scientist (doing a degree in equine sports science) but like to keep an open mind so bought some cheap equilibrium magnetic stable wraps.
My mare has always used ordinary equilibrium stable wraps so just swapped to the magnetic ones.
I forgot I had swapped them and her joint supplement ran out and she usually goes a bit lame and stiff on the lunge when she doesn't have the joint supplement.

I was shocked to see her completely sound and not stiff at all! Because I had forgotten she had magnetic boots on I was confused as to what made her much better before remembering the boots. Her legs are much less filled as well so was impressed.
I would buy a rug as well but don't think it would work as well because her back is dippy so it wouldn't touch her back. The equilibrium massage pad worked wonders on her though.

I've got a degree in Equine Science and I did pretty much the same.

Horses back legs much less puffy in the mornings and less stiff after a night in them - even if he hates them!

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
We have a mare who was on death row last year due to sever lymphangitis. It flared up again this winter and rather than bandaging we have been using magnetic boots. She has not had any swelling since using them. We also have old mare (28+) who uses them overnight to help with her stiffness and they definately help.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site

I am also doing a degree in equine science and we did an assignment into magnets along with research and we all found them to not work

**Gallop-on**

New User
Visit site
I have some Bioflow boots I bought for when my mare pulled her ligament.

They definately helped bring the swelling down without the restrictions stable bandages offer. I also used them on my gelding's tendon injury and, again dramtically reduced his swelling. He is in his 20's so I use them before I ride for around an hour if he's coming straight out of the stable to get rid of any fluid on his legs.

Really do rate them for boosting lymphatic system, which is why I think they aid healing. Wouldn't use them for long periods tho.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I would think it would be really hard to know whether it's actually the magnets or just the warmth created? I have been really unsure as whether to go for ordinary leg wraps or Back On Track. Atm Im thinking ordinary as I don't think I can justify an extra £100 (2 sets for 2 horses).