Magnets for dogs?

Oneofthepack

Visit site
My old lurcher Indie has some sort of problem with her shoulder joints, neck and hips (old age, arthritis, prolapsed disc or all three depending on which vet I talk to!) She gets about really well and is lively and happy but occasionally in the last week she's yelped when getting on or off the sofa and seems to be a bit more unsteady than usual. We've tried lots of different things and settled on Medrone, a steroid, as this seems to help the most.

I don't want to mess about with her medication anymore but wondered if anyone had experience of using a magnet attached to a collar to help with this sort of pain? I have a friend whose agility dog has arthritis in her front feet and she swears the magnet has helped but I'm sceptical.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Where OH used to relief milk one day a week, they had what had been a brilliant cow dog, a collie that was 14 and very stiff from arthritis in her shoulder, probably caused by a kick years ago from a young heifer. They had tried everything from the vets and nothing seemed to help much; they were talking about doing the decent thing for her because, like yours, she'd yelp in pain and not move if she could help it. It wasn't the fact she couldn't do her job again as she was also a much loved pet but they hated to see her in pain. Friends of theirs had taken a franchise with Bioflow and unknown to OH, they suggested trying a collar for her which they did, not believing it could help. She wore her collar for the first time on the Wednesday, the day after OH milked; he didn't see her again until his next day, the Tuesday a week later. He thought they had a new dog which was fetching up the cows from the bottom fields and couldn't believe it was Meg. He still talks about it now, it was like a miracle, she went on to fetch up the cows for another 3 years, something undreamed of just that week earlier, he hadn't expected to see her again and it was all down to the magnetic collar. After all, she didn't 'know' it was any different from a normal collar like a person would did she?

Got to be well worth a try surely although I know, some animals and people they suit, others they don't but it's got to be worth the small expense I would have thought.

Thistle

Visit site
I had a bioflow collar for my old staffie who had arthritic elbows, she was on short term bute to make her last months comfortable.

She lived another 4 years with no further pain relief, and was sound and fit until she was PTS due to a tumour.

I then used it on my lurcher who has neck problems with similar results.