Maiden mare advice

McGrools

Visit site
Hi, seriously considering putting my NH TB mare in foal this time. She is 11, it will be her first pregnancy.
I would love to breed a NH racehorse, or pointer. The stallions I like have decent stud fees. I just wonder would you be optimistic that a first foal would be worth a pricey stallion, or would it be wiser to test the water as such with a cheaper stud ie a conemarra pony, ( I have always wanted a Connie tb for me to keep) to see if she can successfully carry a pregnancy.
I have heard of a few first foals being on the small side, and until she is proven as up to the job is it wise not to chuck too much money at it?

TheMule

Visit site
Would this be to sell or keep?
What are her own racing credentials? Would she justify a higher priced stallion based on her own performances/ family? There are some reasonably priced TB stallions around if you just want to make a fun horse that could be competitive in PTPs

McGrools

Visit site
Would this be to sell or keep?
What are her own racing credentials? Would she justify a higher priced stallion based on her own performances/ family? There are some reasonably priced TB stallions around if you just want to make a fun horse that could be competitive in PTPs
She has been placed a good few times over hurdles. One won. Ran 29 times in total.
I like her attitude, she has a good work ethic.
I’m not sure re buy or keep. Depends what comes out and if it would be worth anything or not. I’ve seen some nh bred foals going dirt cheap last week at goffs sales.
She is not overly big and is very fine so would want to add bone and size hopefully for the pointing job.

TheMule

Visit site
She has been placed a good few times over hurdles. One won. Ran 29 times in total.
I like her attitude, she has a good work ethic.
I’m not sure re buy or keep. Depends what comes out and if it would be worth anything or not. I’ve seen some nh bred foals going dirt cheap last week at goffs sales.
She is not overly big and is very fine so would want to add bone and size hopefully for the pointing job.

It doesn’t sound like she will make a commercial foal if racing is your target market. Has she done a useful job since then? To be worth money as potential allrounders (say if you used a Connemara stallion) they do also need to have proven themselves as that IMO.
Breeding to sell is very rarely worth doing.

McGrools

Visit site
It doesn’t sound like she will make a commercial foal if racing is your target market. Has she done a useful job since then? To be worth money as potential allrounders (say if you used a Connemara stallion) they do also need to have proven themselves as that IMO.
Breeding to sell is very rarely worth doing.
I agree, breeding to sell with any aspirations of making money is certainly not a thought. I would aim to keep unless it became apparent that horse would need a more professional set up than I can offer. I would love to ride in a point to point some day but am probably getting too long in the tooth myself to see it through 😆
I have had her 2 years and she is bold as brass jumping wise, and is very trainable and willing, but is having a couple of soundness issues now and I don’t want to leave it too late before I attempt a pregnancy so now seems a good time to have a go.

twiggy2

Visit site
I will be blunt.
I wouldn't breed from a mare that has soundness issues at 11yrs old.
She doesn't sound like she had a very successful racing career and doesn't sound like she has done much of worth since, there are so many so so horses out there nd not enough homes why add to the numbers?

Equi

Visit site
Hmm I’m semi in the same situation albeit on a much smaller scale. My mare is a great example of the breed but very very (very) limited decent stallion choices here. I could have her in foal tomorrow with just any stallion. Do I wait and go to a decent one or see what she breeds like first knowing she’ll put a good stamp on any foal anyway 😂

Sorry I’m no help. Decisions decisions.

McGrools

Visit site
You’ve possibly already looked but this site is a good starting place. I have to say I’m quite taken with Kingston Hill, and not just because I’m a big fan of Mastercraftsman!

NH Stallions
Yes I like the look of him. He looks nice and chunky. Almost a bit Connie like.
The A lister I would chose would be Gentlewave at Yorton. Going for a proven grade 1 producer.

McGrools

Visit site
To be fair, to run 29 times and retire sound is pretty decent, and going lame at 11 isn’t great, but it's an awful lot better than most broodmares 🤔
I agree, she ran over 3 miles on good to firm ground over 5 seasons, and was a tough cookie.
Far better than an unproven broodmare x

McGrools

Visit site
Hmm I’m semi in the same situation albeit on a much smaller scale. My mare is a great example of the breed but very very (very) limited decent stallion choices here. I could have her in foal tomorrow with just any stallion. Do I wait and go to a decent one or see what she breeds like first knowing she’ll put a good stamp on any foal anyway 😂

Sorry I’m no help. Decisions decisions.
Where are you that there are limited stallion choices?