maintaining tack

Visit site
i dont own tack, yet, and i was doing some research on the stuff before i get a horse, read a couple websites but they just instructed me to dry it when its wet. so i was wondering if you need specific products special cleaner, or could some leather shoe polish work to maintain it? help will be greatly appreciated

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Visit site

toppedoff

Visit site
Good heccin luck, it's nice to see you're waiting to get all the info out there 😀

I also thought to of link this, if you haven't already made a budget she's also from Surrey -

gypsiegal567

Visit site
every few uses this is what i do:
get some warm water and dip your washing sponge in then ring out very well
run over the tack working out the dust, grease and grime
once the worst is removes get your soap sponge out and use a glycerin based saddle soap and work into tack
then use a leather conditioning product such as neatsfood oil, a balsam etc to condition and soften the tack
i hope this helps:)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
every few uses this is what i do:
get some warm water and dip your washing sponge in then ring out very well
run over the tack working out the dust, grease and grime
once the worst is removes get your soap sponge out and use a glycerin based saddle soap and work into tack
then use a leather conditioning product such as neatsfood oil, a balsam etc to condition and soften the tack
i hope this helps:)

A cotton dishcloth will get more dirt off than a sponge, and saddle soap is a poor cleanser (always rinse off) and a poor conditioner. Oil should be used very seldom, mostly should be avoided. Glad it works for you but there can be better ways to do things.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I wouldn't recommend the Horseman's, or many others - if you use the search function on tack cleaning, or conditioner, you'll find a ton of info on here. Including the fact that one of the very best conditioners for traditional English leathers is made by one of our own, @cremedemonthe .
I’m sure CDM stuff is the best but I’ve cleaned my tack with Horseman’s one-step and others such as Lederbalsam regularly dissed on here all my life (53) and my tack is absolutely fine, supple and I’ve never had any break apart from horse stepping on reins.