Makeshift stable

Mrsmurphy

New User
Visit site
Morning everyone...

Somehow I have ended up with a little aged pony. The two big ones are going up to the stables tomorrow (currently in a field 2 mins from my house).
Just thinking - I have a large, slabbed back garden - what’s your thoughts on building an shelter for awful weather? She wouldn’t give a monkeys where she is, so I am not worried about her fussing or making a noise all night. Thanks in advance :)

meleeka

Visit site
I made a shelter out of ply sheets and used tin for the top. It’s lovely and warm, despite the fact it’s not even lined. Just make sure it’s well anchored down in case of wind. She might mind being away from her friends, even if she doesn’t let on. I have an oldie who outwardly accepts everything but inwardly worries. Is there anywhere to turn her out with company for the winter?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I don't think a shelter is actually the biggest issue. A couple of decent rugs would probably be fine. And she wouldn't be stood in the mud (so no mud fever/thrush issues)

I imagine these would be bigger issues:

Change of use if you've got neighbours who are likely to moan

Security--is it really pony proof?!

Poisonous plants/shrubs

Wrecking your garden (is the whole area paving slabs, or is it half and half lawn etc?)

In this situation I might give it a go, but I wouldn't throw any money at it until I was happy it was going to work.

(I have a small barn at home, probs 15ftx15ft, which opens onto the block paved driveway, and I currently spend far too much time wondering whether it's ridiculous to fashion some sort of pen in front of the barn using electric posts set in concrete in ice cream tubs.....?)

Mrsmurphy

New User
Visit site
Thanks all...
All slabbed, no plants out the back thanks to my bedlington digging everything up (raised borders too!).
Asked neighbours, all fine - pigeons one side and animals the other.
She will be out everyday - it’s a huge herd, take two mins for son to ride her up. I’m thinking of today’s like today - when it’s zero let up with the rain.
I should say, there is nothing posh about me. I live in a small mining village where I don’t think anyone would bat an eyelid at a pony in the garden - plus I’d bag the manure and the local boys can have it for free! :)

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
So she'll be grazing with your big horses during the day? If she's not fussed being on her own, could she "share" a stable with one of the big horses, as in she comes in during the day and then goes out over night?

teddypops

Visit site
I always think that you should try things and if it doesn’t work, try something else. I made a make shift stable using pallets joined together with ply covering them, it didn’t cost very much and easy to dismantle again. So, yes I would try it out!

Mrsmurphy

New User
Visit site
Stables and field separate. The stables have a small turnout for winter - not mine, rented. No option to let them share, not that mine would anyhow :)
The fields are rough - but friendly and close.
I just want the rain off her back now and then...
I was going to use pallets!!

JackFrost

Visit site
I have great fun building sheds. Agree that you really need somewhere that you can get her out of the rain/snow. She may use it more in hot weather, but if she doesn't use it at all, it will come in handy for storage/hay etc. Just make sure it can withstand abuse from scratching her bottom on it and other undesirable horsey habits, so build it well. Have fun!:)

Laurac13

Visit site
Hi there well done on the new addition

I made my mini elderly Shetland a field shelter in lockdown he loves and it cost next to nothing I got free pallets and free wood out of a skip and free ply and roofing cover from a builder ? the thick wood around the bottom is really heavy and it hasn’t budged an inch in all high winds here’s a few pics

Attachments

• EFDBF5A7-4AF5-4BF0-AA46-40D733CA244A.jpeg
    EFDBF5A7-4AF5-4BF0-AA46-40D733CA244A.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2A05A087-346E-4F97-B150-F7E43BE5D818.jpeg
    2A05A087-346E-4F97-B150-F7E43BE5D818.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DA3F1ACB-A1DF-4158-8983-6430CA38D1AF.jpeg
    DA3F1ACB-A1DF-4158-8983-6430CA38D1AF.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 25
  • C03908B3-FB96-4F55-BE7F-FCD82FA53B44.jpeg
    C03908B3-FB96-4F55-BE7F-FCD82FA53B44.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 23

paddy555

Visit site
it's a great idea. My pony was old when she came and had lived out as a feral pony and was in terrible condition. With us she is shut in every night and now, 7 years later she looks magnificent. She is around 34. The difference being kept in, rugged and fed makes to oldies is amazing.

Anything you can do to keep her warm and dry will pay dividends for her. :D

honetpot

Visit site
Pallets or buy a well made garden shed. I know at least three people who kept a pony in the garden, in a modified shed. Its less likely to upset the neighbours, and relatively easy to halve the door. You not need planning as a pony is a domestic animal.