Making a 'fat track' round your paddocks ?

cobden99

Visit site
I have 2 horses at home, one a PB welsh who gets fat just looking at grass, and a miniature who has had laminitis before. I've read the paddock paradise book and am wondering if his is an idea that would work in the Uk, land of much rain and clay soil - or would it just become a poached boggy mess. Has anyone used a track around the perimeter of their fields to encourage their horses to keep moving to search for food ? Or is it a mad idea. Would you leave it as a bare track or has anyone actually put anything else down, like stone or sand ? Any advice/ experience gratefully received.

josie_s

Visit site
Sorry I'm no help but would b interested t see the responses to this, sounds like a plan t me ....

texel

Visit site
Yes I set up a PP last year in a 2 acre paddock.

I then split the rectangle in the middle into 2 sections so in effect I had 3 grazing areas. I could move the ponies around to rest other sections as required.

It took me 5 hours to set up with the electric fence posts and tape. It took me a couple of years to save up for the posts and tape I had to buy alot.

I found it worked well the only problem is during the very windy weather we had earlier in the year it blew sections of it down, despite the fact I had used 20mm and 10 mm tape to try to make it flap about less in the wind.
I have had to dismantle it all, I will need to set it up again.

I will try to find a photo of it.

appylass

Visit site
I do it, although not in the same way as the book, i.e I don't have lots of different surfaces. I have two tracks, one on 11/2 acres ish, one on about 3. Works like a dream for two porky natives. I do have to be careful in winter as they can get very boggy, I usually end up sacrificing one of them, but it recovers well with a bit of rest and care.

cobden99

Visit site
Thanks for your replies - so did you literally just strip graze your existing fields but in a track ? Didnt take up the grass or cover it with anything ? Im just worried that a track around the perimeter of 3 acres, even if quite narrow, will still have too much grass on for my fatties. ..

AngieandBen

Visit site
I've been doing it for years now! I split an acre paddock in half. Run a track around both halves so I have a figure of eight. They then get strip grazed a paddock at a time so by the time they have eaten down one, the other has grown back.

I have hedges on two sides and lots of trees so plenty of shade. Works very well and my ponies stay at the same weight all summer :)

texel

Visit site
It may seem they will have too much grass but you see they will follow their instinct to eat on the move so to speak.

I only put mine in the middle if they ran out of grass on the outside. This then meant the grass in the middle was so much longer with a diverse selection of plants.

Give it a go you will be really surprised.

foxy1

Visit site
Yes I set up a PP last year in a 2 acre paddock.

I then split the rectangle in the middle into 2 sections so in effect I had 3 grazing areas. I could move the ponies around to rest other sections as required.

It took me 5 hours to set up with the electric fence posts and tape. It took me a couple of years to save up for the posts and tape I had to buy alot.

I found it worked well the only problem is during the very windy weather we had earlier in the year it blew sections of it down, despite the fact I had used 20mm and 10 mm tape to try to make it flap about less in the wind.
I have had to dismantle it all, I will need to set it up again.

I will try to find a photo of it.

I find the electric rope better than tape, but I do put breaks in it so if they get caught in it, it comes down

TigerTail

Visit site
I have a track around 8 acres which the fatties are on muzzled.

Even if you dont use the grass in the middle - you've got it as standing foggage for october on, once all the richness has gone out of it they can eat it - saves hay and feed!

My track is about 12 ft, which im thinking is too wide atm as they arent moving very much, however have only just introduced these 2 as one is new so wanted them to have lots of space to get away from each other.

Will try to get some pics later. I used the hotline green and white rope btw much better than tape and doesnt knot so easily! You ideally want wooden or proper metal clawed corner posts to strain it as the plastic ones bend.