Making a Hay Steamer

bailey14

Visit site
Just shove hay in empty bin (give it a good shake out first to seperate it otherwise the steam wont be able to penetrate it, wack in a kettle full of boiling water and put the lid on.
smile.gif
Its not about volume of water that you add its about the heat of the water to get the steam effect.

If you dont have a dustbin to use then just use an old shavings bag, feed bags tend to be pretty useless as the steam gets out of the holes in the bottom of the bag which are put in to prevent small animals/kids from suffocating if they decide to hide in them
grin.gif
Do the top of the bag up with bailing twine to stop the steam escaping.

You only need to leave it steaming for about 10 mins as the water will soon have gone cold.

Adina

Visit site
This works if you only have 1 or 2 horses:
Black bin with tight fitting lid
Kettle which can be boiled CLOSE to the bin (if you have to walk from feed room 100yds to bin, water will not be boiling).
Put hay in net, so you can get it out of bin - 2 thick slices. Pour over 2 kettles boiling water. Put lid on bin quickly. About 20 mins later feed to horse.
You can start this when you arrive at yard, by the time you have groomed and mucked out its ready to feed.
I used to do this until I moved yards and changed to haylage.

Marie_P

Visit site
I have made my own steamer which works better than using kettles of water - you get more continuous steam.

I took a wheelie bin from home (you can buy them at most agricultural outlets though), and bought a £30 wallpaper steamer from Argos.

Drill a hole near the bottom of the wheelie bin on one of the sides, poke the hose from the steamer in through the hole, and switch on!

Can do loads in a wheelie bin.

I steam for about 1/2 hour, it's done while I muck out, and the horses love the steamed hay.

Marie_P

Visit site
Having continuous steam has got to be better, as I'm sure that a kettle poured over in the cold of winter isn't going to keep steam going for more than about a minute.

It's really easy to do too, simples!
grin.gif

Yellow

New User
Visit site
Hi There,
I'm from the Netherlands and like to ask a question about the DIY-haysteamers if you don't mind raking up an old item.

I'm now using the bin+kettle but like to grade up to the wallpapersteamer
smile.gif

But.. the bin is outside-but-under-a-roof and it's freezing. How do you wallpaper-steamers keep the water from freezing up before it's all steamed up ??

And how long does it take to 'wallpapersteam' the hay anyway.

Thanks