Making a horse to go forward

mushting

Visit site
Weve got a 5 yr old mare on trial she was broken last November shes a 16hh cob x trotter and apart from her ground manners she is really lovely. the only problem we have is we were told not to use a whip on her as apparently she goes mad and we wont win the fight! so how do you get a horse to go forward when she doesnt seem to listen to leg aids but you cant use a whip? We have an 18yr mare that she will follow quite readily but Id like to be able to take her out on her own too but its impossible at the moment I wouldnt get anywhere.

MrsNorris

Visit site
When you say broken, what does she actually know? Sounds as though she has only been taught to tolerate someone on her back, rather than been properly broken.

mushting

Visit site
I dont know to be honest, Im not very clued up she does respond to the leg walk trot extra but sometimes she stops and just wont move forward unless the other horse moves forwards or the person on the floor moves forward i want to be able to ride her on my own

TarrSteps

Visit site
In the nicest way, are you sure this is the horse for you? You say her ground manners leave a bit to be desired, there is a big hole in the riding - horses should start to learn about going forward from the leg the first time they are ridden - and you seem a bit unsure how to proceed.

Do you have access to an instructor? This is really the sort of thing you would be best getting help with from someone who is there and can work through it with you.

Shay

Visit site
I think I'm with TarrSteps. You need an instructor. You've got a horse who, for some reason, is dead to your leg. There are loads of reasons for what you describe and the best way to find out what applies is to get help from a qualified person. Artificial aids - including the whip - might mask the issue for a while; but won't cure it. If you are really committed to this horse then you are going to have to put in the time and money training both yourself and her. At 5 she is very young still - and at 16hh already may have another growth in her. It is really important that she has exactly the right grounding. She is going to be too big to correct later.

Realistically you are going to spent the next 2 years or so training and producing her before you have a horse you can really get out and about on, do things with etc. Now that is no problem if this is your horse for life etc. Nor indeed if you think you might be able to make a profit producing and selling her - although that takes considerable experience which you seem to suggest you don't have. But if you are younger, or want to get out and about and do stuff now, you might want to be looking at something a little more developed and a little older.