Making a pathway down the field...Advice please

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Hi all,

Well I think it's safe to say we have got through the first winter having horses at home in our new rental property. I would like to try and improve the winter field. My main problem is because it's heavy clay, the better ground is about 50m from the gate. Sometimes the horses would just stand by the gate not wanting to wade through the bog which resulted in us trying to drag them down the field away from the boggy area and onto dry land. We tried putting electric fencing further down the field to keep the horses down there but it just mean't even more mud as they congregated waiting to come in. The gate to the field does have hardcore and I'd much rather they waited there. I would like to construct some kind of path down the edge of the field along the fence for them to go up and down so they don't make such a bog next winter. As we are renting, I don't want to spend a fortune as we might not be here for years. I've looked at MUDCONTROL mats but they are very expensive for a 50m path. Has anyone had success with grass mats? Generously, our landlord is prepared to put more hardcore down around the gate but obviously he's not going to put 50m worth. He is also lay down whatever i decide to get . Can anyone recommend something ideal for such a walkway please?

FFAQ

Visit site
Mud control mats aren't cheap but they are probably the easiest option. Having said that, if you have time and the inclination you could perhaps make a path of old paving slabs. Grass mats have never worked for me - they just ruck up and tear under my heavy horses (we're on clay too). I have seen them work well on sandy soil when they were laid in the spring and the horses were kept off them for anything other than coming in or out of the field.

chaps89

Visit site
I had standard grass mats in my gateways, laid in spring. Amazing spring/summer/autumn, come winter they did get lost under the mud. However it was definitley firmer ground to walk on with them underneath the mud than just mud. But I doubt they'd stand up to heavy use on clay, sorry.

Hallo2012

Visit site
i laid 20mm limestone directly on top of the soil when it was dry. i think my path is about 35m and from memory took 10 ton. its only a narrow path but a thick layer.

however if the horses are going up and down it loose i suspect it would just get churned up and disappear.

foxy

Visit site
I am on clay and invested in mud mats this winter and all I can say is they are great and yes expensive but you can move them or take them with you when you leave

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We have hardcore and planning tracks along the edge of one field to solve the mud issue, as also on heavy clay. I costed 50m of mud control mats and it was a lot of money. Our local farmer did ours for us and it was definitely a more cost effective option.

TPO

Visit site
For those of you who do have Mudcontrol mats, if you out down a one slab wide path do you find the horses choose to use it rather than the muddy ground?

I've got a 2 mat wide track through a paddock and two gateways before it widens and they use it in single file.

Once in the big field it's either 3 or 4 wide, cant quite remember but I think maybe 3 staggered, and it sort of curves from gateway to trough. They use it and walk the curve rather than just going straight into the field

NLPM

Visit site
For those of you who do have Mudcontrol mats, if you out down a one slab wide path do you find the horses choose to use it rather than the muddy ground?

Yes, they do (& I've had several disagreements with one of mine in particular when we meet, heading in opposite directions, and both refuse to step off the path into the mud...).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Yes! We have a shelter with Mud control mats down as the floor and then a 'patio' into the field. Then we have more mats, as hardstanding, with the water trugs at the edge of them. The horses don't step off the mats on some wet days

Fred66

Visit site
You can get grass protection on a roll, used for protecting grass at events for car parking, also for golf courses. Haven’t a clue whether it would double up for horse tracks but might be cheaper if for rented property

Hallo2012

Visit site
You can get grass protection on a roll, used for protecting grass at events for car parking, also for golf courses. Haven’t a clue whether it would double up for horse tracks but might be cheaper if for rented property

too slippy, i looked in to this.