Making/Buying Field Safe Headcollars??

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Usually i will refuse to keep a headcollar on a horse while turned out, due to the added risk of getting caught on fences and legs through it but he escaped onto the road a while ago spooking at fireworks and although i found him he ended up miles away with someone who had no idea where he came from. Im very interested in the BEIDS products and was thinking of registering with them. But as well as attaching the ID to a saddle while im out riding, i thought it would be a good idea to attach one to his headcollar so if he ever strayed he could be identified very quickly and the relevant people contacted if he needed a vet etc.

But im not happy about putting on a normal headcollar in case he ends up breaking something because hes wearing it. I have an old leather headcollar i dont mind him wearing all the time, but would it rub in the wet?

I also have lots of the padded type but they are just normal buckle fastening. Is there anything you can buy to convert a normal one into a safety headcollar?

:)

Holzdweaver

Visit site
The only headcollar i have found not to rub him is a rope one, but as these are pretty much unbreakable because of the pressure it puts on the horse, would a velcro insert work with one? just thinking they are so lightweight and dont get that heavy when wet either.

Dirty_D

Visit site
I know people who use a normal headcollar and take off all the metal/plastic 'holdy together bits' and then put baler band in their place.

The baler band then can snap if need be

Enfys

Visit site
Use a leather thong to tie the headcollar on rather than the buckle (reef knot will do just fine, it does loosen so check daily)

It will break in an emergency but is strong enough to keep the headcollar on.

Far cheaper and just as effective as any bought halter.

rockysmum

Visit site
I really dont like them, we tried them when we bought our youngster and I soon got rid of it.

I just cant see the point to be honest. If you get hold of them and the horse pulls back they come apart. I found it taught our youngster that this was a good trick. I would also worry if your horse does escape that someone might try to catch him with it and they really aren't safe to lead with.

team barney

Visit site
tekna breakaway, they are lead safe but will break if put under significant pressure just like a leather headcollar. Unlike a leather headcollar though once "broken" they are easily mended as you can just by a new breakaway for a few pounds.

newbie_nix

Visit site
I have to keep a collar on my boy as he has a pink nose and needs a nose shade. Am in NZ and he burns the tip of his nose really quickly without one. Sun cream not an option - he makes too much of a fuss when I make him wear it and then just wipes it off on grass, dramatically splashes around in trough etc so it doesn't stay effective for long!

It has been a bit trial and error but so far I am liking the velcro ones. Can't lead in them though - I swap for regular halter to lead him. Although he is very good at being led I know that if he spooked the velcro would rip.

Had to order mine from UK - got them from ebay - as none of the NZ tack shops seem to stock them. I got quite a few funny looks when I asked for them. Most people here rely on leather but MIL had to rescue a caught up one who was wearing a leather headcollar and looked like he had been there for hours.

Tekna ones sound interesting though so will bear them in mind.

The only problem I had with velcro/synthetic ones was a bit of rubbing probably due to the material being a bit cheap. As soon as I spotted the rubbing I swapped brands and adjusted the fit so think we are all good now but the baler twine idea is great. If the rubbing issue returns I might buy a lovely soft lined one and customise it myself.... either with baler twine or might chop it up and sew velcro panels in myself

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I needed to use a grazing muzzle over the summer I used an old headcollar which already had broken metal fixings and replaced them with heavy cable ties, hold under a reasonable amount of pressure but would break in an emergency

Snoopy1

Visit site
Horsewear make a field safe headcollar with a velcro attachement at the side which snaps apart if horse gets stuck in anything. I can vouch for its effectiveness as my boy has his left on all the time. He can be tricky to catch but I didn't want to/would not turn him out in a normal one. The field safe has been just the job and yes, there have been days when I have arrived to find him minus it so obviously works as it should

Dizzle

Visit site
Mine wears an extra full very old padded leather head collar, it doesn't rub and he could easily wriggle out of it if needed (and he has done when playing with the big eventers!) and several of the buckles are now held together with bailer twine but it does the job. I did try him in a correctly fitted non padded leather one and it rubbed him in a day.

Bryndu

Visit site
Hi,
I have used ordinary headcollars but cut a section out of the piece that goes over the poll, and replaced it with strong elastic so that the two ends join via the elastic (can be done by saddler but use domestic elastic not equestrian elastic). You can then use the headcollar as usual until such time as an emergency when the elastic breaks...

Bryndu :)

Auslander

Visit site
I have always "tagged" my horses, just using the small circular engraveable discs you can buy in key cutting places. Put them on saddles and rug buckles mainly, but have also plaited them into the manes of youngsters who live out, so that they don't have wear headcollars. If you incorporate the tag into the top of the plait, then finish off with a tight elastic, they stay in very well - especially when the plait gets welded together with mud!