Making small bale haylage

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Just looking for some advice/previous experience!

We've left about 4/5 acres to cut this june - Initially I was thinking of doing large bales of haylage, however as I've only got H and Tango (who is really tiny!) I'm not getting through the big bales before it's going off - and it's not even warm weather yet so if we have a scorching summer (ever hopeful!
wink.gif
) I'm going to be stuck (unless I have a couple of friends join me which is a possibility).

So... I'm thinking of perhaps doing the small bales of haylage which means I won't waste any (unless it's a bad bale of course!) and also - it will be more manageable - ie I won't have to invest in a tractor to move the darn stuff! LOL!)

Any pro's and cons?

And anyone know of the cost implications?
Thanks
Kate x

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
The pros are obvious - small, more manageable bales that don't have the opportunity to go off
Cons
cost - wrap and netting are major parts of cost of making haylage

you might struggle to find a contractor with small enough wrapper

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Thank you for your help - i'll have to ask whether it would be a viable option.
If not - it's a tractor that's required! My OH will love that!
wink.gif

Kate x

myhorsefred

Visit site
I made small bale haylage last year and was very pleased with it.

I made 230 bales off 4 acres and it cost just over £2 per bale to make and wrap. I used a local contractor and he did everything.

I sold most of my bales for £6.50 per bale! so made a good profit too, and it meant the haylage I was feeding my two horses worked out to be free.