Making the call

Equi

Visit site
It’s getting to the time to make the call on my old boy. It’s hard cause he’s technically still bright and interested in life but his pain relief isn’t helping with his arthritis much anymore. He struggles to get up and down and over the last week or two he’s began struggling to poo properly, and the final call was today when fell over and sort of huffed and stayed there. Dad thought he had had a stroke or something but he got back up after a min and went right back to sniffing about for scraps and seems fine. He has a heart murmur which may be starting to effect him - he does gag now and then.

With my last dog I feel I left it too late to pts, she died the day she stopped eating and to be honest a month before maybe even two would have been humane.

We go away in March for two weeks and I would never put him in kennels when he’s this way and my aunt who always dog sat passed away this year so we decided it will be before that, but it may be a lot sooner than I expected if this heart is going to be bothersome. Will take him to the vet as soon as they open again and see what they say.

Thistle

Visit site
I always live by 'better a day too soon than a minute too late'

I would talk to the vet, see if there are any stronger pain killers that won't make him to sleepy. If not (and he's prone to collapsing and obviously in pain) then I'd make that call. At least that way you can chose where and when rather than an awful out of hours search for an emergency vet miles away.

pippixox

Visit site
How’s horrible for you. But from what you described it would be for the best to say goodbye sooner rather than later.

Reactions: tda

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sorry you are at this point with your boy, agree with others better too soon especially as he is beginning to have problems. my lurcher also had a heart murmer and she had slowed down and i automatically thought it was her heart and made vets app expecting to be given some heart pills and she would perk up.. they said heart was as usual but the problem was arthritis in her hips, they gave me pain medication and after a week she hadnt changed so i made the call as the pain medication was also upsetting her delicate stomach. i suspect some people would have kept trying different things but i knew my dog and she wasnt happy and she was almost 13. i would have tried other things if she had been 5 but not towards the end of her life....still miss her everyday, it was just over 2 years ago....but dont regret my decision..

SillySausage

Visit site
I said goodbye to my Labrador last year at 15 years of age. Having been perfectly healthy with no issues and no medication she had a 'funny turn' one Saturday where she kept freezing and going absent from her surroundings. I gave her a lovely weekend and took her in the Monday morning.

She had gone in to the early stages of heart failure, so they offered me steroids to prolong her life. I had her put down there and then whilst she still had her dignity and was aware of her surroundings. I honestly feel like I didn't do it a day too soon, she was herself right to the end.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m another who would make the appointment and have a conversation with your vet. Mine was put in Codiene which I was able to get from a pharmacy with a prescription and it gave her a new lease of life until something else got her. It cost around £8 a month so not expensive. That may or may not be suitable for your dog but I think you have to come to terms with the fact it will only get worse if there aren’t any options.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Sorry to bring this thread back up, how is your old boy doing Equi?

We are in a similar situation with Aled now. He has been on tramadol and paracetamol for the last 6 months or so. Just before Christmas I went to pick up his latest prescription from the vets, and now there is a licensed product instead of tramadol for dogs which we were given. Over the last couple of weeks, it is obvious he is in pain, which he wasn’t before. I am booking him a vets appointment for next week to see if there are other options for him. She has been reluctant to issue an NSAID, as he does show early stages of kidney issues, hence the tramadol to start with. She did say at the time, with monitoring it will be possible to run one alongside the tramadol, and I think now is maybe the time to try.

Equi

Visit site
He’s still going. He’s not had any more incidents of anything and seems in really good spirits so I’m thinking it may have been the Xmas period making him tired (had visitors who would disturb him at all hours and come and go etc) now he back to normal routine he seems better. He’s got about four more days meds left and I’m going to take him to vet when it’s time to refill and have him get a check up - if his heart murmur has gotten worse or if she feels there is another issue arising he may not come home. If he does come home we will have to think about what on Earth we will do when we go on holiday at the end of Feb 😕

Lintel

Visit site
It's so difficult, my old terrier who lives with my mum and dad is getting slower and has some form of "cough" that the vet has no idea what it is... even after xrays...blood work etc.
Some days you can tell he is really struggling but other days he has his "maddie moments" running round the garden chasing the birds and wanting to play.
When his bad days get more than his good we will really have to think about it.
He is going into kennels next week but the kennels are excellent and have known him all his life.
How about getting someone to house sit and look after him for you? Or send him to luxury dog boarding in anemones home?

Good luck OP X

Goldenstar

Visit site
Is he on medication for his heart ?my oldie is going well on half a vetmedin twice a day it’s made a big difference .

Equi

Visit site
No because every time it’s been just a slight murmor vet didn’t think needed treatment for. We wouldn’t be willing to let a stranger stay in our house to sit him tbh!

My friend runs kennels and he would be welcome there I would just feel terrible putting a very old dog who spends 90% of his time in front of the fire into kennels in the middle of winter no matter how nice I know they are. It’s just something we’re going to have to deal with closer to the time if we need to :/

twiggy2

Visit site
I would not put an old dog in kennels, I would have someone stay in the home he knows and is comfortable in and I don't like the idea of strangers in the house when I am not here either.
Do you.know anyone with older kids who you could trust to stay or indeed a friend?

Equi

Visit site
Thought I would update. Billy will be going this week. His heart murmur has progressed significantly and now needs medication, his kidneys are in failure and although each is treatable for a bit it means the pain meds would need looked at and were at the point now it’s time to get ahead of things and let go even if he is bright. Vet said he’s headed for a catastrophe no matter what we do so is in agreement to do it now. He’s booked for next Friday but I don’t know if we will wait that long I don’t know if we can wait with that dread over us for a full week :/

{97702}

Visit site
I do feel for you equi, I’ve been there so many times & it just horrible. I must admit in your position I wouldn’t be waiting, I’d get it done ASAP - your dog will not know the difference, and waiting just spins out the pain for you ☹️

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
sorry equi, its always tough. fwiw my last dog was booked in for a week away but in the end I took him in several days before as it was time. the stress of watching and waiting is so hard and if he's due anyway-be kind to yourself too.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry, you are doing the best for him. once i had made up my mind with my lurcher i called the vet and asked them to come a s a p. my lovely vet came that afternoon even though he was supposed to be on holiday...i couldnt have waited......your boy wont know and there is always the chance he may get worse before friday.. hugs xx

pippixox

Visit site
SO sorry. I personally found it too long when I knew my dog was getting worse (same with my pony more recently). I knew Thursday at vets that it was terminal, had a wonderful weekend and he was pts Monday lunch time.
Thinking of you during this very hard time

Equi

Visit site
Billy has gone, it was very peaceful. He has now joined the many other animals in my own little pet cemetery.

52712777_10216438410490276_4378048868495917056_n.jpg