Making your own chaff

holeymoley

Visit site
Okay so I appreciate I may have gone completely off my rocker. However. I have just had a hay analysis done on my lovely meadow hay which has came back with probably the best results I could’ve asked for. So. I feed simple systems chaffs which are basically just chopped Timothy grass/alfalfa. Could I effectively make chaff out of my hay? My guy is ems laminitic so he has basic feeds with added vitamins etc I don’t need the chaff to have any added oils etc

Esmae

Visit site
We turned a garden shredder into a very effective chaff cutter. You do need some kind of mask though as it kicks up quite a bit of dust and seed etc. Saved us a fortune in bagged chaff.

rextherobber

Visit site
We turned a garden shredder into a very effective chaff cutter. You do need some kind of mask though as it kicks up quite a bit of dust and seed etc. Saved us a fortune in bagged chaff.
Do you mind saying what make and model you use? I was wondering about this, but thought it would clog up..

Lois Lame

Visit site
Making your own chaff sounds great.

A long time ago I learned of someone with a chaff cutter locally who I took some bales of hay to. It was the best chaff I ever had. Lovely and coarse. I saw the machine and I remember it as being huge. It was electric I think, or maybe it ran on fuel. But the chaff smelled fresh and lovely.

(Some years ago I bought a sack of lucerne chaff that smelled like fumes. I took it back to the feed merchants.)

_Annie_

Visit site

I'd also love to know the make & model, please!!

Esmae

Visit site
It was a cheap Bosch from B&Q. Don't know the model off hand but probably any cheap one would do. I seem to think that we had to make the gap smaller where it actually cuts or it didn't manage to cut the hay at all. Hubby sorted it. I'm no engineer. Any practical type of bloke that is good with engines could probably fix one up. Definitely worth the effort. Also we attached it to a workmate to get it higher off the ground to allow us to have a big sack underneath to catch the chaff.