Making your own ice-vibe style boots

paddi22

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had designed any homemade ice-vibe style cooling boots. Working on a budget eventing this year and looking for some cheap and cheerful ideas to save cash and buying new equipment. I was thinking of using the ice cube bags, but my worry is having the ice either too close to him so it ice burns him, or too far away and its useless..

Has anyone made their own that work well? Any tips appreciated!

Visit site
Ice Vibe boots are totally different to what you are describing. They vibrate! And in certain patterns depending on what setting you put them on.

Plain simple ice boots - yes by all means use an IceCube bag and out a tea towel between it and your horses leg. Enough protection to stop ice burn, not too thick to prevent the ice from doing its job.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I got a pair of old tendon boots and those ice packs - wrapped the packs in one of those cotton bags you can get in aldi and fit them inside the tendon boots. I did get one of those cheapo adult vibrating toys out of a local pound shop for fairly cheap (soz) and attempted to attach them to the inside of the boots but it was a disaster.

I gave up and ended up buying the premier equine cold water boots instead. Just threw the boots into a bucket of ice cold water with the ice packs and left them while I went ride as they need an hour for the crystals to cool.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I am currently icing my girls leg daily and use thin dish cloth, ice bags and a large support boot. I found a tea towel a bit too thick and it interfered with the cooling. No vibrating though, but quite effective and cheap.

Embo

Visit site
I bought a set of Woof Wear ice boots, they came with 4x gel ice packs which sit inside mesh compartments. Not used them yet as bought them off-season & not needed as yet but they weren't expensive, around the £35-40 mark IIRC.

PorkChop

Visit site
I use tubigrip - 69p from Home Bargains - doubled up on the leg, and then insert either bog standard frozen ice cube bags - a whole sheet per leg - or the resuable gel ice packs.