malamutes

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Thanks for your kind words re my posts.
I imagine wolfhounds can be quite a handful too; I used to meet a youngster who would tear around my rather stunned samoyeds. Eventually they would pluck up the courage to join in, and it would all end in a barky, boundy pile up lol

fankino04

Visit site
Just thought I would add for any non malamute owners thinking of the breed here is a photo of what your house turns into after just a few minutes of brushing one.

Why oh why did I get a 2nd, oh well at least I am not houseproud.

misterjinglejay

Visit site
The fur is the least of it - my house has been destroyed! They ate the skirting board, door frames, the knob off the washing machine, carpets, drawer knobs, and added a window at dog height between the kitchen and living room. It had rather a jagged edge though lol. My samoyeds have never been that bad!

Bless them :D

fankino04

Visit site
As i have said earlier I think I break mals as neither of my 2 have ever been particularly destructive ( at least since we invested in wood floors, the pup tore the carpet up at 12 weeks old!!!) My sympathies go out to asbo as my 2 arent food defensive at all, dont pull (well the girl does for the first minute of the walk but is fine after that) and have generally been really easy to train, Ash got walking to heel in approx 1 week after getting him from the RSPCA where he dragged everyone around, they have never had crates, pup only cried for the first night we had her and then just "got it" and was fine till morning after that, they just get 5 minute time outs in the garden if they are naughty and thats all they have ever needed. The OH is now thinking its time we got a third!!!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
They are addictive LOL.
We plan to breed from our bitch when she's old enough, and it'll be a wrench to let them all go - so we won't lol.
Re Asbo - I know, and have answered her post as fully as I can. They are a difficult breed anyway (except yours), and to have one with 'issues' .......poor thing :(

fankino04

Visit site
We really wanted to breed from our girl but she was from a litter of 9 and I know i wont let any puppies go (hey I have a horse as a field ornament just coz I am too emotional to sell or loan her) so the OH put his foot down on the breeding front, but they are so cute!!!! If you need a home for one of yours I am here waiting xx

Cyrus

Visit site
They are addictive LOL.
We plan to breed from our bitch when she's old enough, and it'll be a wrench to let them all go - so we won't lol.
Re Asbo - I know, and have answered her post as fully as I can. They are a difficult breed anyway (except yours), and to have one with 'issues' .......poor thing :(

Erm your letting one go to me :p

asbo

Visit site
Picking one up tonight. He seems to have latched onto me, he's had a growl at all 3 kids today for nothing other than I was there at the time.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Asbo, if you have not already as mentioned on the other thread, put a house line on him. Just get a cheapo lead, cut it to the length of however comfortable you are to reach for, but not trailing where he can eat it, tie a knot in the end and fix it to his collar.

My young dog went through a phase of grumbling at people who came near me (including friends and family - he didn't know, he was just saying 'get away from me and my ma') which we are only just getting over and it cannot be allowed, in my opinion you need to just take him quickly, calmly and firmly (so that he makes the link between his behaviour and the consequence) and put him outside/out of the room each and every time he does it.
Do not get into conflict with the dog, especially if you have nothing physical to back it up with. Similarly do not back off and do not get others to back off - this is a message that he has got what he has wanted by growling.
Also do not leave toys or bones lying around to get possessive over also, if he has any treats he must have them in his crate when you get it.

That's just my opinion and how I dealt with it, I am sure others may have their own ideas.

asbo

Visit site
Asbo, if you have not already as mentioned on the other thread, put a house line on him. Just get a cheapo lead, cut it to the length of however comfortable you are to reach for, but not trailing where he can eat it, tie a knot in the end and fix it to his collar.

My young dog went through a phase of grumbling at people who came near me (including friends and family - he didn't know, he was just saying 'get away from me and my ma') which we are only just getting over and it cannot be allowed, in my opinion you need to just take him quickly, calmly and firmly (so that he makes the link between his behaviour and the consequence) and put him outside/out of the room each and every time he does it.
Do not get into conflict with the dog, especially if you have nothing physical to back it up with. Similarly do not back off and do not get others to back off - this is a message that he has got what he has wanted by growling.
Also do not leave toys or bones lying around to get possessive over also, if he has any treats he must have them in his crate when you get it.

That's just my opinion and how I dealt with it, I am sure others may have their own ideas.

Thank you, I was going to see about doing this, do you have any photos just so I can get a rough idea at what I am doing/tying him too etc. I need to get across to him tis is not allowed so want to work on it. f I remove him from the room he attacks the door to get back in, whats the best way to handle that?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Um, dunno if I have any pictures...it's literally just any old bit of thin lead or rope dangling from the collar that you can take a hold of. Just take it and put him out calmly and firmly. Could you put him outside in a secure area? I've never had a door attacker but if you had a metal babygate or playpen or something to put in front of the door that could prevent it.

I put my dog in his crate either in the living room or the car depending on where it happened, or back in his run, after her had performed a function (anything just to take his mind off being a toad, and implying 'you must do something for me') but as you want to introduce the crate as a positive I am not sure I would advise that just yet.

Last edited:

misterjinglejay

Visit site

Brilliant advice :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh and another thing we are working on is strange people to feed him and put their hands on him, but not to snatch food, as he is a very pushy dog, so hold the kibble in the hand in a fist, if he is bargy or pushy or nibbly, keep the hand in the fist or even push it towards him. When he backs off, open the hand, feed the dog. I always kept my hand on his lead so that he did get toadish, he would be swiftly removed from the situation.
I don't mind a defensive dog in the right circumstances but it has to be appropriate.

Again this is only an idea and something that I have done and you don't have to do it if you are not comfortable with it or if you think it will make him more foody.

Cyrus

Visit site
When Loco was that age she was not allowed toys as she became protective and possessive over them they were slowly reintroduced on my terms it didn't happen overnight but she now will happily accept people picking up her toys and taking them off her not just myself, the key with a malamute is consistency and keep calm

asbo

Visit site
Just wanted to up this thread and quickly add a photo or 2 of our new moot Storm.
Some people here will know my BIL/SIL owned Storm, but they announced 2 weeks ago they were splitting up, this was before Nanuq arrived, we have always told them we would have Storm if they couldn't keep him for any reason. Fast forward to Sunday just past and SIL got in touch and asked if we would rehome Storm from them as we are the only people they would let him go to. He was supposed to come tomorrow, but SIL brought him last night.
So, this is Storm, he's 7 yrs old x

asbo

Visit site
Thanks, we have loved him since we met him as a pup and its really nice to have him here. Hes lying on my feet with a marrow bone from the butcher happy as, he hasn't had many bones so we weren't sure if he would even eat it as they said hes not keen, but he loves it lol

Nikki J

Visit site
Just wanted to up this thread and quickly add a photo or 2 of our new moot Storm.
Some people here will know my BIL/SIL owned Storm, but they announced 2 weeks ago they were splitting up, this was before Nanuq arrived, we have always told them we would have Storm if they couldn't keep him for any reason. Fast forward to Sunday just past and SIL got in touch and asked if we would rehome Storm from them as we are the only people they would let him go to. He was supposed to come tomorrow, but SIL brought him last night.
So, this is Storm, he's 7 yrs old x

Asbo: he is GORGEOUS!! Looks very like my boy Tai who is a Mal x. Give him hugs and howls from me and the boys xx

Shutterbug

Visit site
Oh would be nice to see some possible relations for my boy x

hey - sorry I just saw this while browsing this thread. We have one of Claire at Malderstones dogs - hes much darker than your boy with difference facial markings and hes huge - hes not your typical malamute at all really. He's super lazy and the male pit bull terrier who lives next door to us is his best friend. :D Hes in the pic in my sig. Hes almost 4 now. How are you getting on with your guy? Whats his breeding?