Maliniois

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The other types are a lot less full on and mostly bred for showing or pets, you only really have an issue with the working or part working bred/poorly bred Malis. The main issue being dogs that have tonnes of drive but no stability of nerve. Even at FMBB (Olympics for Belgian Shepherds) the Malis are by far the most populous breed in the sporting arenas.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I thought the AKC was the only main registry that divided the Belgians into different breeds.

For quite a while the only Mals I met were show lines and pretty nice and stable. Then the working lines became popular and the cr@ppy breeders flooded the breed and now, oy vey. Groenendael are very unstable. I was at an obedience several years ago given by Sylvia Bishop and there was a couple with their Goenendael. They screamed and snapped and in general were very unpleasant and took up a bunch of time. A friend with Tervs said something about that wasn't her breed. And they seem to be very different. There are some freaky Tervs here but they don't seem to be unstable and dangerous.
I've never met a Lakenois .

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know a Gronendael and a Terv with BH, the Terv trained at my club last year, does a few bits and bobs as well as IGP sport, from European lines, nice and stable. And of course the most famous Terv was Wellard from Eastenders :p
I see from a friend that an older Terv just passed IGP3 in the USA, which is apparently pretty rare over there, I imagine there are more of them doing sports in mainland Europe.

GSD Woman

Visit site

This is one of those things that people who want a Mal should see. There is a few other videos they should see. I don't have links but there are 2 of Mal puppies. One shows the puppies doing a mini obstacle course over and over and over again. The other shows a litter hanging onto bite pants as the human walks around.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
This is one of those things that people who want a Mal should see. There is a few other videos they should see. I don't have links but there are 2 of Mal puppies. One shows the puppies doing a mini obstacle course over and over and over again. The other shows a litter hanging onto bite pants as the human walks around.

Working GSDs too. If you dip a rag into a puppy pen, personally, I want one of the pups who is hanging on when you pull it up again. Good grip comes out of the womb...my first sports dog showed the behaviour of the pup on the jacket and still requires a gobstopper in old age. It's what **I** like, most sane people prefer a dog that won't eviscerate all the cushions.

Last edited:

GSD Woman

Visit site
CC, my older dog is like that. We don't do bite work but when I was able to play tug with him he didn't shake the tug or any of that stuff. He had a calm, full grip and could pull me off of my feet. After I had surgery on both of my wrists I can no longer tug. :-(

lizziebell

Visit site
Someone I met through dog training works Mali’s on a professional basis, and once said I should have one. That to me was such a huge compliment in terms of my dog handling/ training abilities.

lizziebell

Visit site
15 month old up for rehoming. They bought him thinking he was a GSD!

I mean, somebody should have known what he was.

Owners clearly in the clueless category and IMO shouldn't own a GSD either.

I saw a similar young dog up for rehoming recently where someone thought they’d bought a GSD puppy and it was Dutch Shepherd. Its just shocking !