Mallanders/Sallanders on a welshy

Dawng

Visit site
Hi, looking for any help or new ideas on managing this condition. He is not your usual hairy cob, just a 13.2 welsh pony. It was just one little patch but has now spread all the way round his 'knee' and fetlock on just one rear leg. How does everybody cope with this? He doesn't tolerate me putting cream on every day but it does not seem to affect him in any other way. Thanks for any replies. I'm currently using Flamazine. Have tried baby lotion and washed in teatree shampoo with no improvement.

Dawng

Visit site
Avoid washing it as much as possible especially with anything that will dry the skin, I clip as close to the skin as I can and then use Doublebase cream. If it looks sore and infected chat to the vet.
Thanks, I've only washed the once. It's not sore or infected, I've sent photos to the vet and he's said no other action necessary however I feel it could be improved.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ditto clipping, even that is sometimes enough for mine. I use sudocreme + sulphur powder because that’s what I’ve always used on his scabby bits ?

Dawng

Visit site
Ditto clipping, even that is sometimes enough for mine. I use sudocreme + sulphur powder because that’s what I’ve always used on his scabby bits ?
Thanks I'll maybe try clipping even though he's not very hairy and I have vet coming out next Monday

Dynamo

Visit site
I use Inecto coconut oil serum, which I buy in bulk off Amazon. It's much cheaper than any of the horse-specific oils on the market. Because it's a serum, I find it penetrates the hair down to the skin more easily than Sudocreme, which I find quite sticky, and it also doesn't run off like some of the horse oils. I apply it every day, without washing, and gently work it in down to the skin. My Welshie has become more tolerant of me doing it. It will loosen off any scabs, moisturise the skin, and provide a healing barrier, and it's cheap enough to use liberally every day, all year round as a preventative.

Ceriann

Visit site
I’ve only just started dealing with small patches around knees on front legs. I’ve washed gently weekly with a proper dandruff shampoo (with selenium sulfide) and then applied baby oil almost daily. Month in gone on one leg.

Visit site
I’ve tried so many products for my mare and resorted to taking her feather off, so I could treat it, the worst thing was to wash it, made it a lot worse. I’ve had great success with Nettex itch stop salve, just applying it to the skin on any of the areas, it was something I tried in desperation, as we are quite limited as to what we can get hold of over here. I’ve read a lot of good things about Farriers M&S cream too (but I can’t get hold of it here).

Im afraid it takes work to keep on top of it.

Dawng

Visit site
I use Inecto coconut oil serum, which I buy in bulk off Amazon. It's much cheaper than any of the horse-specific oils on the market. Because it's a serum, I find it penetrates the hair down to the skin more easily than Sudocreme, which I find quite sticky, and it also doesn't run off like some of the horse oils. I apply it every day, without washing, and gently work it in down to the skin. My Welshie has become more tolerant of me doing it. It will loosen off any scabs, moisturise the skin, and provide a healing barrier, and it's cheap enough to use liberally every day, all year round as a preventative.
I like the sound of this one.

Dawng

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions, it has given me some good ideas especially as what will work for one pony needn't do the same for another so I'm well up for trying anything and everything until I feel it's under control.

ALSO its good to know that i'm not alone, I hadn't really heard of this before and I certainly don't know anybody else atm locally that has the same problem. Thanks.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Another vote for clipping short and baby oil. I have mine in a spray bottle as I use it anyway as mane and tail conditioner. Completely cleared up in a few days.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Blue was suffering terribly with this when he arrived .
We keep him close clipped and after trying several things we found Mother Bee soothe and protect .
It manages it so well no pain no stamping no fuss when you have to touch his legs .

riversideeu

Visit site
I also clip regularly and use aqueous cream which is only £1 a tub ##every few days rubbing gently to remove the softened scabs. I too never wash the area.