Mallenders - best treatment?

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
My PL cob has got a touch of mallenders. The affected area has been clipped off. I've been reading past threads but the variety of treatments people use is mind boggling! It seems everyone has their own way of treating it!

To hand I have HibiScub and T-Gel - which do I use? Could I use both or is there a risk for over treating? I don't want to weaken his natural barriers and leave him vulnerable to infection. I have also read that applying a cream such as E45 or Sudocrem will help soften the scabs so they can be picked off?

Please can someone shed some light on his mysterious skin condition (I hadn't even heard of it until this evening)!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't pick the scabs off. This is a form of dermatitis, not bacterial in nature like mud fever. The cream will soften the scabs and they will fall off by themselves. Getting wet stimulates the skin to form more scabs, so best not to wash it. My mare's mallenders and sallenders have cleared up since I stopped feeding her anything with teven the tiniest bit of wheat in it - so no commercial treats, she has carrots as rewards.

Welshboy

Visit site
I keep the hair trimmed quite closely around the scabby area. I wash with Selsun shampoo every few weeks (leaving it in for 5-10 mins before rinsing) - similar effect to T-Gel. In between I use an moisturiser for psoriasis Epaderm and find that when massaging the cream in it loosens the excessive skin/scabs. I find it's slightly worse in the damp, winter weather - have to keep a little more on top of it

Harriettie

Visit site
Yes, baby oil worked with my boy, but it also made his hair fall out, as did pig oil. Epiderm is what I've found to be best after 16 years of trying to cure it (and realising there is no cure.....), so now I just treat the symptoms. Its best if clipped completely as well.

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
At the moment I'm thinking I'll wash in T-Gel once a week to get rid of any sort of build-up that may have occurred and apply a moisturising cream of some sorts (now thinking Vaseline?) 4 times a week (can't do more than that as he's only loaned out 4 days a week and on his non-loaning days I can't really expect yard staff to traipse down the field to rub a bit of moisturiser onto a couple of scabs!).

If it is indeed a dry skin condition (have read it's similar to psoriasis) then why do so many sites suggest HibiScrub as an effective treatment? Surely all HibiScrub would do is dry out the area even more, making it more susceptible to future cracking? Is applying an anti-bacterial really necessary? I'm thinking I may need to HibiScrub the first time round before applying some sort of barrier (such as Vaseline?) as the flies were really bothering him trying to get in it - not good!

EDIT:

Just found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leovet-Silver-Ointment-Horses-Ponies/dp/B00O56KPM8 - antibacterial and moisturising! Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
At the moment I'm thinking I'll wash in T-Gel once a week to get rid of any sort of build-up that may have occurred and apply a moisturising cream of some sorts (now thinking Vaseline?) 4 times a week (can't do more than that as he's only loaned out 4 days a week and on his non-loaning days I can't really expect yard staff to traipse down the field to rub a bit of moisturiser onto a couple of scabs!).

If it is indeed a dry skin condition (have read it's similar to psoriasis) then why do so many sites suggest HibiScrub as an effective treatment? Surely all HibiScrub would do is dry out the area even more, making it more susceptible to future cracking? Is applying an anti-bacterial really necessary? I'm thinking I may need to HibiScrub the first time round before applying some sort of barrier (such as Vaseline?) as the flies were really bothering him trying to get in it - not good!

EDIT:

Just found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leovet-Silver-Ointment-Horses-Ponies/dp/B00O56KPM8 - antibacterial and moisturising! Any thoughts?

Some people mix up a treatment for mud-fever (which some vets don't recommend for MF) and mallenders/pastern dermatitis. There is no bacteria involved in mallenders, it is just like psoriasis/eczema, the skin seems to produce too many cells which do not fall off like normal skin cells do (very layman's explanation, there!).
I have found the Leovet silver ointment very useful for my mare's legs. I keep them dry, have NOT clipped, although I have done so in the past, and used the silver ointment twice daily when it was at its worst but after a diet change, her scabs have improved enormously and now I just keep a tub on hand, in case.

paddyrose

Visit site
I have had a fantastic result with Dovobet Gel . My husband has psoriasis so had some of this from doctor. However he finds Aveeno is much better so had some gel left. Thought Id try it on my cobs legs as it is similar to psoriasis too much skin growth. After 4 days applying twice a day it has totally cleared it. All scabs have gone Amazing!
Not sure if its available without prescription though.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have had a fantastic result with Dovobet Gel . My husband has psoriasis so had some of this from doctor. However he finds Aveeno is much better so had some gel left. Thought Id try it on my cobs legs as it is similar to psoriasis too much skin growth. After 4 days applying twice a day it has totally cleared it. All scabs have gone Amazing!
Not sure if its available without prescription though.

Its aveeno I'm using, I find it amazing for me and the horse.