Mammoth Hopalong Reports 3 in 1!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Three in one mammoth report coming up- apologies in advance for it being lengthy but I have lots to tell!

Report 1 - Strathearn HT 9th Sept.

I almost didn't make this event due to a severe bout of man flu in the run up to it. Thankfully it didn't progress into the more severe form of girl flu and I figured if I was able to survive a hack and clipping on the Saturday then I would survive XC on the Sunday! Managed to convice Mr FigJam to do the driving and decided I would just take it nice and steady as my breathing wasn't as good as would have liked.

Thankfully Hopalong was pretty unbothered by me not being quite 100% and happily skipped round the course clear. :) She was a little lookier than normal but I think this might have been due to my mindset not being quite as competitive as normal and so maybe letting her have more time to look and think about the spooky/ditchy fences. She did jump them all including a trakhener, ditch and step into water. Time not competitive enough for a placing but I was just pleased to have managed to get the run.

Strathearn004_zpsd834b692.jpg

Strathearn006_zps122d6121.jpg

Strathearn009_zps7bc00acc.jpg

Strathearn012_zpseb6b257e.jpg

Strathearn015_zpsdfa001f9.jpg

Report 2 - Beach party!

We had a quiet weekend mid-September where the sun came out and so a few yard pals and I decided a trip to the beach would be fun. We had lots of fun cantering up the beach, splashing in the waves and even found a branch that made a wee impromptu XC jump to play with! :D

Hopalong enjoying a canter through a shallow strip of water;
CamegBeach46_zps6040004b.jpg

"Jumping"
CamegBeach36_zpse2726200.jpg

CamegBeach53_zpsc01a0149.jpg

Me having a giggle about something while Hopalong is not very impressed at how deep I've made her get in the water!
CamegBeach83_zps9d99f2ac.jpg

More splashing in the water;
CamegBeach61_zps52aed8d6.jpg

FigJam

Report 3 - Gleneagles HT 7th Oct.

We had entered the 90cm class at Gleneagles and since it's a flat, short course, thought it would be fun to team up with my yard pal/hacking buddy to do the 75cm pairs class before. We hack out together all the time and our horses are like clones in terms of pace/attitude and Hopalong does lurve her pal R, so thought it would be a good laugh to do. Nice times with a 2hr gap between classes and no early start meant lucky Mr FigJam was dragged along again. ;)

Getting ready;
Gleneagles001_zpsc7798769.jpg

We set off out of the start box trying to keep them nice and steady- not so easy for me with Hopalong in the no.2 "chasing" slot and other than R almost unseating her rider with an over jump at no.3 then almost a stop at no.4 where it is just as well R did go after all as H wasn't for stopping! Hopalong was having so much fun chasing her hacking buddy that we got 2 strides in the 3 stride double at no.6 and she was pinging at no.7;

Gleneagles006_zpsbc18eda8.jpg

Gleneagles007_zps8acce2d4.jpg

We managed to line up for the first "style" dressed fence which was the drop at no.12 where you had to try jump side by side. Another few fences then the next "dressed" fence was no.15, a very innocent and small log. I had let her catch up after 14 so we were side by side again and had what felt like a nice stride to it.

However, on takeoff something went wrong- I don't know if she got stuck in the mud, misjudged it due to the light-to-dark siting of the fence in the shade of the tree or we were just to fast into the fence (however it doesn't look majorly fast on the video) but one leg wasn't quite quick enough or high enough and poor Hopalong wasn't quite able to get the landing gear out on the other side of the fence. :(

Thankfully, it was a rather elegant knee slide by Hopalong, rather than a much worse fall for her, with a much less elegant roll off the side for me. We were both up straight away and after an initial fear of seeing her hurt, there was somehow not a mark on my injury-prone-Hopalong! I fixed a boot that had slipped down, walked her a few strides and checked with fence judges that she hadn't fully fallen to be told she hadn't and that I could remount. Decided as there were only 2 fences left to jump I would see if she felt ok and got back on board. The minute I picked up the reins she was keen to be off and she flew over the last two fences as keen as ever. So relieved she was ok.

You will all be pleased to hear that the one and only competitive XC fall I've suffered was not only caught on camera by Mr FigJam but also by jnhuk's husband and FigJamHatCam!! So below are all three sets of evidence to complete my embarrassment of falling off at a teeny tiny log. ;)

Video courtesy of jnhuk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbThC-PeTMw&feature=g-upl
FigJamHatCam footage (full course up to no.15, if the whole thing makes you seasick, then the "interesting" part of the footage is from approximately 3min 40s!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHetEycboVg&feature=youtu.be

And Mr FigJam photos, taken up until the point he thought it may be best to come over and see if we were ok. ;)
Gleneagles009_zps6016c642.jpg

Gleneagles010_zps6740d2e1.jpg

Gleneagles011_zpsa71d9d44.jpg

Gleneagles012_zps1eeef5e8.jpg

Gleneagles013_zps70ba8fdd.jpg

Gleneagles014_zpscb822092.jpg

Gleneagles015_zpsc84e44f8.jpg

As you can see in the last photo, I didn't manage to consciously tuck and roll as well as I could have done and by the time I was back at the lorry my right wrist was swollen and rather useless. Mr FigJam had a crash course in stud removal and helped me untack and wash off Hopalong then I was sent to the paramedics and withdrawn from my 90cm class. :( Paramedics were happy enough that it was just a heavy sprain/bruising but to keep an eye on it and visit A&E if still worried later.

I self strapped on Monday and it was ok, but when the strapping came off the swelling returned and following a bit of nagging from my Mum and a physio yard pal I was convinced to visit A&E just to be sure. I was impressed with the speed of service (we were in after 10pm and home by midnight) but not so impressed with the verdict- sprial fracture to ulna and a cast on for 4-6 weeks. :( Just so so glad it's me broken and not Hopalong, she is absolutely fine and NHS treatment much cheaper than vet bills!

Boo;
554283_4629516741267_1667114709_n_zps1b2e20af.jpg

So our last run was to be the Drumclog Express Event on 21st but that is a no go now, gutted. :( We were also lined up for RC Team SJ on 28th and will just need to play that one by ear... Thankfully I am still able to drive (with clearance from Doc and insurance co!) and I'm left handed so other than being much slower on the computer at work than normal with cast getting in the way a log, it could be much worse.

Well done to anyone who made it all the way through my rambles, would offer up some Ben & Jerrys Half Baked but I'm afraid it was all needed for medicinal purposes and there's now none left! ;)

Jnhuk

Visit site
Lovely pics from Strathearn and the beach!

Gleneagles HT pictures really are dramatic but look how quickly you are at reacting and sitting back to help Heidi.

Still feel gutted for you though and hope the healing powers of chocolate and ice cream work wonders

measles

Visit site
Very impressed that you can type all that with a crook arm. Have you been typing it since Monday evening..? :p

Great pics all of them and you'll be fighting fit in no time I have no fear. A real pest about Drumclog though and RC teams.

Now tell me the most important thing. Can you still bake with one hand....??! ;)

posie_honey

Visit site
Was great to finally meet Heidi! (and see you again of course :p )
Such a shame about your fall :( sending lots of healing vibes and hope to see you out at things next year :)

BeckyD

Visit site
Loving the pictures! (But not the fall). What a shame - it always seems to be the way that if our horses are fit and well, then we find some way of being under the weather: manflu/fractured wrist etc. The chances of horse and rider being fit and well on the same day do seem quite remote :p

Hopefully you'll be well enough to do the SJ, but don't rush it.

FigJam

Oh you poor thing! :mad: :( What rubbish, rubbish luck, especially as Hopalong was looking so well.

Thank you, I guess we have been very lucky not to have had a fall prior to now statistically, but I am still gutted about it. :(

Lovely pics from Strathearn and the beach!

Gleneagles HT pictures really are dramatic but look how quickly you are at reacting and sitting back to help Heidi.

Still feel gutted for you though and hope the healing powers of chocolate and ice cream work wonders

Thanks, and thanks again for the video, it was interesting to be able to watch back and see if I could spot anything to explain it (although too far away to tell properly really), but was even better to see that she looked fine and happy finishing the course. :)

It all happened so quick there was only time to think "oh sh...." at the time, I bet Andrew Nicholson or WFP would have stayed on, more work to do on stickability...! ;)

Ouch! What a nasty fall :(

Love the beach pictures.

Thanks, I do love the beach photos too. :D

Ouch! Hope you get better soon :)

Hopalong is looking fab! :D

Thank you, she has been feeling fab too so I am gutted I can't go out and finish my XC season on a high at Drumclog. Entries close tomorrow so fingers crossed I have time to contact them today and withdraw and not lose money at least.

Very impressed that you can type all that with a crook arm. Have you been typing it since Monday evening..? :p

Great pics all of them and you'll be fighting fit in no time I have no fear. A real pest about Drumclog though and RC teams.

Now tell me the most important thing. Can you still bake with one hand....??! ;)

Ha ha, I am SO frustrated with the stupid "claw" arm (as Mr FigJam caringly calls it!), takes me AGES longer to type than normal and more mistakes to correct along the way. :( I shall do my best with the one handed baking... can't promise it will look pretty though! :p

Was great to finally meet Heidi! (and see you again of course :p )
Such a shame about your fall :( sending lots of healing vibes and hope to see you out at things next year :)

Was great to see you and well done to you. :) Thanks also for your green gunk! ;) Need to find summat more potent although hopefully neither you I will need stronger stuff again. ;) x

saz5083

Visit site
Hope your arm starts to feel better soon! H is looking great though ;) 6 weeks will fly by and you'll be back out again in no time for a winter of coloured poles and stressage ;)

glamourpuss

Visit site
Oh no!! You poor thing. What with Hopalong's injuries & now your injuries you seem to be definitely having a run of rotten luck :(
I'm glad H was ok though x

dafthoss

Visit site
Ouch! Hope your mended soon :)

Hopalong is looking fab though, such a shame about the little trip hope your back on board soon.

ElaineLightning

Visit site
Great report and fab pics, what a shame about your fall though :-(

We were at Gleneagles on Sun but werent on till 5.40pm last class, I would never know who anyone is anyway lol x

NeverSayNever

Visit site
loved the pics up to the fall - she looks so happy:cool: really lovely pics:D then i saw the xray pic as i scrolled down and thought , oh crap :( WHAT a shame, so unlucky:( am well impressed a) by your slipping of reins and sitting back abd b) by you carrying on broken!! Your poor pairs partner must have got a fright seeing you go down. Do you have to go back for a cast or all you all done and dusted?

Last edited:

sabel

Visit site
Lovely pics and a great report, but sorry to hear about your fall:(.
I came off at Munstead BE in September and fractured my left wrist so I feel your pain! Good healing vibes to you and hope the 6 weeks passes quickly. Glad you can still drive, not being able to is a real pain:mad:

Vickijay

Visit site
Lovely pictures as always, especially the beach ones...not so much the falling off ones. Poor you about your arm. I hope you get well soon

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Oh no poor you, really pleased Hopalong is ok though.

Love the pics from the first 2 reports Heidi looks like she is smiling as much as you.

FigJam

Loving the pictures! (But not the fall). What a shame - it always seems to be the way that if our horses are fit and well, then we find some way of being under the weather: manflu/fractured wrist etc. The chances of horse and rider being fit and well on the same day do seem quite remote :p

Hopefully you'll be well enough to do the SJ, but don't rush it.

Thank you, I know, it's just ridiculous this whole year has either been Hopalong not right, weather/ground not right or now me not right! :mad: It does seem that the chances of all of the above being right are as remote as winning the lottery! :rolleyes:

Hope your arm starts to feel better soon! H is looking great though ;) 6 weeks will fly by and you'll be back out again in no time for a winter of coloured poles and stressage ;)

Thanks Saz, glad you think H is looking ok, feel so sorry for her looking at the fall photos but as you can see in the vid she is not really that bothered other than numpty me falling off and holding up her hooning! ;)

Oh no!! You poor thing. What with Hopalong's injuries & now your injuries you seem to be definitely having a run of rotten luck :(
I'm glad H was ok though x

Thanks, I've very glad H is ok too, was so scared when I got up to look over and see her on 3 legs or something, but very relieved she is fine. :)

Ouch! Hope your mended soon :)

Hopalong is looking fab though, such a shame about the little trip hope your back on board soon.

Thanks, if I can get saddle on I'm sure some quiet hacking at the weekend will be fine. :)

Poor you! That really is rotten luck. I hope you get better soon.

The pictures are fantastic though! Your OH is very talented!

Thank you, Mr FigJam is a very clever 'tog and I'm very spoilt to have him to drag along to most things with me. :) I think he mostly came to the beach with us because the previous time I went to the beach I fell in the sea so he was hoping for photo evidence that time. ;) (it was a year ago, I tend not to make a habit of falling off, honest, although the sea is a far nicer, softer landing!)

Great report and fab pics, what a shame about your fall though :-(

We were at Gleneagles on Sun but werent on till 5.40pm last class, I would never know who anyone is anyway lol x

Hope you had a better, drama-free run compared to us!

loved the pics up to the fall - she looks so happy:cool: really lovely pics:D then i saw the xray pic as i scrolled down and thought , oh crap :( WHAT a shame, so unlucky:( am well impressed a) by your slipping of reins and sitting back abd b) by you carrying on broken!! Your poor pairs partner must have got a fright seeing you go down. Do you have to go back for a cast or all you all done and dusted?

Thanks, hope you and small person are good. :D I am so annoyed about the fall and keep thinking back wondering what I could/should have done different. Maybe I let her get to fast and flat to it? It didn't feel like a bad take off spot and video doesn't look overly fast but who knows? :( I have a temporary cast just now, then getting a proper one next week. We go on holiday to Egypt for two weeks from 18th Nov so the cast WILL be off before then!!! :p

Lovely pics and a great report, but sorry to hear about your fall:(.
I came off at Munstead BE in September and fractured my left wrist so I feel your pain! Good healing vibes to you and hope the 6 weeks passes quickly. Glad you can still drive, not being able to is a real pain:mad:

Aw, between us both we have a good set of hands?! Hope you are on the mend now. And it will be 4 weeks to heal... if not less... think of all the calcium in ice cream surely?! :D ;) Being able to drive is a huge relief. :)

Lovely pictures as always, especially the beach ones...not so much the falling off ones. Poor you about your arm. I hope you get well soon

Thank you!

Jingleballs

Visit site
Lovely pictures - such a shame about the fall and the injury!! :(

If I remember correctly, that fence sometimes has some coloured gravel underneath it so maybe she just spotted that and it threw her off.

Hopefully you are back in the saddle soon! (oh and knitting needles are a must when you're in a cast for scratching those pesky itches - I had a similar injury when I was younger!)

daveismycat

Visit site
Lovely pics up until the fall. You two are just too damned photogenic!!

Fingers crossed for a swift and smooth recovery. I'm hoping it hasn't put you off pairs as I was counting on recruiting you and H to give me a lead around some hunter trials next spring with the new one.

Oh, and from my professional point of view, Ben & Jerry's is bound to help with bone healing. ;) ;) :D

Fiona

Visit site
Hello there..... Its fab to hear H is out and about again :D Am I allowed to ask what age she is now????

Mr FJ's pics as fab as ever I see :)

Hope your arm is better soon, and not in the cast for too long... At least you can still drive etc.....

Fiona

Joss

Visit site
Great report - must have taken a lot of one handed keyboard tapping;) Mr FJ's photos are well up to his usual high standards.

Poor ole you & H taking a tumble but typical that Mr FJ & his camera were in the right place at the right time & you can see why the arm got a battering. Very glad to hear you can at least drive, hope it isnt too sore & you are mended v quick.

BB Borris was at Gleneagles - did you see him?

J x

FigJam

Oh no poor you, really pleased Hopalong is ok though.

Love the pics from the first 2 reports Heidi looks like she is smiling as much as you.

Thanks, I can't believe that a horse who has suffered so many random non-ridden injuries came away from it unscathed! But not complaining about that at all. :)

Lovely pictures - such a shame about the fall and the injury!! :(

If I remember correctly, that fence sometimes has some coloured gravel underneath it so maybe she just spotted that and it threw her off.

Hopefully you are back in the saddle soon! (oh and knitting needles are a must when you're in a cast for scratching those pesky itches - I had a similar injury when I was younger!)

Cheers K. It was weird, she definitely wasn't backing off the fence and didn't feel like she was spooking/looking at anything to do with it (she would do the opposite and completely over jump if that were the case)- in fact the opposite hence me kicking myself that I should have realised and tried to steady her a little to give her time to get legs out of the way maybe?

I am hoping not to be out of action too long although my radiographer friend has threatened me no needles for scratching with- she apparently sees lots of injuries due to them! :p It's not been too bad for that so far luckily, just the fact that tying a ponytail is ridiculously tricky (and I have discovered that this is NOT one of Mr FigJam's skills! ;) ) and obviously showering etc is a total PITA. :mad:

Lovely pics up until the fall. You two are just too damned photogenic!!

Fingers crossed for a swift and smooth recovery. I'm hoping it hasn't put you off pairs as I was counting on recruiting you and H to give me a lead around some hunter trials next spring with the new one.

Oh, and from my professional point of view, Ben & Jerry's is bound to help with bone healing. ;) ;) :D

Aw, thanks DIMC! H is the photogenic one. ;) Absolutely not put either of us off and we would love to chum you round some with lovely ginger one next season horse/rider lameness permitting! ;) Glad to hear Ben & Jerry's a recognised bone healing product! :D

Lovely pics, but ouch!! Well done on your mum etc for nagging you to go to A&E!

I was doing it to shut her up in the hope that I could say "told you it was just a sprain"... instead she gets to say "told you you should go"! :p

Hello there..... Its fab to hear H is out and about again :D Am I allowed to ask what age she is now????

Mr FJ's pics as fab as ever I see :)

Hope your arm is better soon, and not in the cast for too long... At least you can still drive etc.....

Fiona

Hi Fiona! <whisper> H is now 21 years young, still preferring to act her shoe size not her age. ;)

Yes, being able to drive is a massive relief as Mr FigJam and I work in different places and have different places to be of an evening (me yard, him karate classes most evenings) so it would make life very tricky if I couldn't!

Fab report and pic's as always :) sorry to hear about the fracture, ouch, hope it mends quickly

Thank you- me too! ;)

Great report - must have taken a lot of one handed keyboard tapping;) Mr FJ's photos are well up to his usual high standards.

Poor ole you & H taking a tumble but typical that Mr FJ & his camera were in the right place at the right time & you can see why the arm got a battering. Very glad to hear you can at least drive, hope it isnt too sore & you are mended v quick.

BB Borris was at Gleneagles - did you see him?

J x

Ha ha, I am able to use a couple of fingers of right hand to aid typing but cast keeps hitting other keys if I don't hold it at a certain angle and my shoulder then gets sore. :( Much slower than normal, even texting is tricky. :( Hope you and the gang are well- need an update on the new arrival! :D

I didn't realise BB Borris was there, sorry. Hope him and his new owner had a better run than me! :eek: I will try harder to watch out for him in future and pass on a pat from you if I see him. :)

Get well soon! :)

Aw, thanks Admirable! :D Mr FJ and I are in disagreement about which image I should buy, I like that one and the 3rd in the sequence over the fence, he likes the middle one and says I'm wrong! :rolleyes: ;) (and lol at my face in that photo, not my usual smile as I was having to concentrate so hard on breathing! :eek: )