Manège harrow/leveller

scats

Visit site
Our Manège relies on the yard quad being available and someone available to drive it (YO relies on a friend and won’t let anyone else do it due to insurance) in order to be harrowed/levelled. As a result, it’s not being done enough and as the only person who uses it, it’s always down to me to do the general maintenance of it- raking by hand and weeding etc. I do the track weekly by hand but I want to invest in a small (cheap!) harrow to put on the back of my 4x4. Any suggestions?

WandaMare

Visit site
I bought one from Browns Equine about 10 years ago, good value and still going strong. I think it was the budget one, but compared to some of the other brands I looked at, I found it was light enough to set up and handle by myself. They do a smaller one as well.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not sure what you call cheap :). If you can run to £800 + VAT or so depending on model, an Arenamate will do the job very well. I tow mine behind the Sorn‘d Shogun. It has a free arm widget which brings in the track as required.

I used a basic set of chain harrows before, but they left my sand and rubber surface uneven with rises and falls.

E998D910-3DCE-4F0A-867D-352FA01EE824.jpeg

Finlib

Visit site
My husband made me one with 2 sheep hurd!es welded one on top of the other for weight and rake teeth added to the back edge a chain on the front to tow it.The indoor arena is sand the outdoor rubber chip over sand we tow it with a Quad but could be towed with a 4x4 Not expensive to make and have been using it for over 10 years!!!!

EventingMum

Visit site
The type of harrow will depend on the surface you have. I have a Browns Equine one for our waxed fibre and sand and it does a great job.Previously had an Arenamate for a surface that tracked and it did the job fine for a good number of years but eventually fell apart. Our RDA group has an Andrews Bowen one which is great but very expensive.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Totally depends on your surface. Our flexiride is kept level and tidy with a flat 6’ gate with a couple of breeze blocks on top pulled by a ride on lawnmower. Corners are hand raked.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I echo ycbm, look on ebay. We bought ours for under £200, it is probably heavier than modern ones and has an extending "arm" that sweeps the surface out of the corners. Not essential though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was looking at those but thought they’d be rubbish for the price, so that’s really encouraging.
I’m loathe to spend too much, as it’s not my manège. It’s sand underneath with rubber on top.

No it really is just as it looks. Heavy, top quality, zinc electroplated. Top notch, should be selling at least twice the price, I have no idea what they are doing charging that, they must be desperate for money. It did a brilliant job on my Spanish pile driver's footprints ?

scats

Visit site
No it really is just as it looks. Heavy, top quality, zinc electroplated. Top notch, should be selling at least twice the price, I have no idea what they are doing charging that, they must be desperate for money. It did a brilliant job on my Spanish pile driver's footprints ?

Bumping this thread again as I’m finally hoping to order one this week (cash has been in short supply this year!).
Ycbm, do you use this with a quad or 4x4?