MAN or Iveco

frazzled

Visit site
We are looking for a new lorry and have seen two advertised that we like. They are both by the same maker, virtually the same spec even down to the paint. One is on a MAN and the other is an Iveco. The MAN chassis is one year older and both have pretty much same mileage and were coachbuilt in the same year. Price is almost identical. So which make would you prefer?

morrismob

Visit site
A Man, my only lorry which I have had for 8 years is a Man and been fantastic I have only spent several hundred on it in all that time except for plating ! The garage say they go on for years. But no experience of the Iveco.;)

starryeyed

Visit site
I've always been told to avoid Ivecos at all cost due to their rust problems and the fact that mechanics hate them! I've heard that MANs and DAFs are good, so I'd personally go for the MAN ;)
Can't speak from experience though as we have mercedes - which is always broken!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I dont know about MANS but based on this previous thread where someone had a choice of DAF or Iveco there seemed to be a feeling that Iveco are disliked by mechanics and maybe rust more (than DAFS) - so MANS could be the same but there was a bit of a thumbs down on Iveco which might help your thinking,

heres the thread
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=536448&highlight=iveco

NB you can also use the search in the red bar above to search for 'iveco' and then for 'MAN' and see what people have said re each one.

hope this helps!

Louby

Visit site
Ive been told that Iveco and DAF have the same engine, that MANS are the best but IF something goes wrong, parts are much more expensive.
I had an Iveco hating mechanic, then swapped to another as he was getting me down, and the new one said they are all much alike, in that the older ones rust and then shown me a DAF and an Iveco chassis, which were both rust buckets. They were old though.
Why dont you go and view them both and see which one you prefer to drive.

frazzled

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies. I shall ring about both and try and go and see them. One is just down the road so makes it appealing. Currently have an Iveco which has not been any problem but good to know other peoples experiences. Also shall have a chat with our mechanic see what he thinks.