Managing 23 year old horse with arthritic shoulder

tigger01

Visit site
Any tips on managing an old horse who up til now has been ridden 4 times a week - mostly hacking with a little schooling plus veteran classes. He's on devil's claw daily and I'm considering a bute every other day so that I can still ride him. Anyone got a horse with a similar problem? He's showjumped up to quite a high level so I guess his past life has taken its toll but to be honest he doesnt look his age.

Any ideas gratefully received?

Clodagh

Visit site
Totally a personal opinion but I would be unhappy about a horse living on bute so he can still be ridden. Lots of horses where I work live on the stuff though so it is a personal choice. I have a 25 year old with bad hocks and he has a bute a day but is just a companion/ornament.

HappyHooves

Visit site
agree about masking pain in a horse who has clearly had a busy life! Also, you could end up with gastric ulcers with a life on Bute - I know as my 28 yr old retired gelding had arthritic changes and had this problem. Whatever you decide to do I would recommend giving msm. Purest and thus cheapest comes from www.a1msm.co.uk . A lot of the available equine joint supplements have a lot of filler in and little active product. Even better if you feed glucosamine as it has a synergystic effect ( 1+1 = 3) and if you can afford it chondroitin. I have seen good results in horse and dogs with arthritic problems when put on msm.