managing hock arthritis

impresario08

Visit site
x-rays have shown up some hock arthritis (to be expected with my horse's history). any tips re management? sometimes he struggles to get up and down and doesn't lay down in the stable. He is out 24/7 where possible.

paddi22

Visit site
what age is he and how much work is he in?
I have one with hock arthritis and he got the injections for it and has stayed (touch wood!) in fulltime work. He is on a joint supplement and I do extra long warm ups etc to make sure he is comfortable.

I had another retired oldie last year that got very bad arthritis and struggled getting up and down, and I decided to pts. I hated the thought that the pony might panic if it couldn't get up. I had always said i would pts at that stage and was glad i did.

Stuckinmud

Visit site
I have a 22 year old with hock arthritis. He was diagnosed 6 years ago and is still going strong. At the time he was struggling to even trot but I worked closely with my vet to get him comfortable and the pain under control and now I maintain him with a joint supplement, regular exercise and turnout. My vet drilled into me he has to keep moving, keeping in in winter because of bad weather is not an option. I had to adjust his work as jump 1m wasn't going to happen anymore but we do pop a small jump from time to time.

impresario08

Visit site
I have a 22 year old with hock arthritis. He was diagnosed 6 years ago and is still going strong. At the time he was struggling to even trot but I worked closely with my vet to get him comfortable and the pain under control and now I maintain him with a joint supplement, regular exercise and turnout. My vet drilled into me he has to keep moving, keeping in in winter because of bad weather is not an option. I had to adjust his work as jump 1m wasn't going to happen anymore but we do pop a small jump from time to time.

oh fab, thank you. How did you get his pain under control if you don't mind me asking?