managing thick tails

dreambigpony

Visit site
My cob's tail is ridiculously heavy and thick. Please don't suggest thinning it!! Haha.
Any ideas how I can keep it nice and knot free...also poo free!! Are tail bags any good? What do you all use or do? Thanks!

Bernster

Visit site
Despair?! And have him on full livery haha. Well, that's my answer I'm afraid. I use tail spray and spend a while brushing it out in sections each week. It's currently yellow and poo smelling (and suspect it's not as thick as your boys) so I'm not much help am I!

nato

Visit site
My mare has a very thick tail, and it's curly too. And it's (supposed to be) white! I honestly love it. I wash it weekly and brush it through everytime I ride - I know most people say don't brush it as it damages the hair, but when it's so thick I don't worry about losing a hair here and there! I also spray it through with Showsheen once or twice a week.

I tried plaiting it when putting her out but the plait was so heavy she couldn't lift the tail up when going to the toilet which made it worse!

I actually think because her tail is white it makes me more diligent about keeping it clean.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Baby oil will keep it tangle free, although does attract some dirt. Don't brush, but separate with the fingers. If white, then wash with tomato ketchup (then shampoo) which will remove the yellow pee stains.

Makemineacob

Visit site
Mane and tail or I've found a squirt of dreamcoat works just as well. My mares tail is incredibly thick and is almost triangle shaped and has waves. I brush it every couple of days to keep the knots out. With a thick curly tail I'm afraid there is no way to do it with just fingers, tried and never worked as unless you brush it the waves/curls start to wrap around themselves and then you've got a hell of a job to untangle them. I've tried baby oil and it does indeed attract a heck of a lot of dirt so haven't used again.

crabbymare

Visit site
50 gallon drum of tail spray sounds the best way and if you are ok with it being short chop some off the bottom for the winter so there is a bit less weight in it which will help her raise it and also have less at the bottom to get the poo in

meandmyconnie

Visit site
Hi, Dusty's tail is also like this. I split it into sections and brush each one. Then I brush the whole of her tail together to get out any small knots. Sorry not sure about the poo :( x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Wash it, spray it, comb it through and then chop it short to the hocks. And then don't really worry about it until the spring.

Dreckly

Visit site
My chap has a big thick curly tail. I use a tailgator bag when he is turned out and it is brilliant at keeping the mud off. Each day I brush it out using tail spray when I need (again fingers do not work and it is thick enough to not worry about loosing a few hairs). I wash it occasionally. Started using the bag last year and it is the only way for me. Once the mud gets in it is impossible to brush through.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
wash it spray it with mane and tail plait it and buy a tail bag they are 5 quid on each bay or if you need a big one tail gaitor make them for thick tails, my horses live in there tail bags they only come of for shows.