Managing with the weather?

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm VERY lucky in that, so far anyway, down here in the south we haven't experienced quite the same amount of rain that the north has. BUT, it is still very wet. Also lucky, that the kind farmer who I rent off, has a field which isn't muddy,boggy or poached to the armpits.
Being mild has been lovely for the fact that my mare is still in a light sheet, and it fits her better than her MW which rucks up her chest fluff! And the fact we still have grass for her - (mowed the lawn again only last week). I've given them no extra hay in this field nor had the need to hard feed. Bonus! BUT, it is really still too mild.
I just don't think we're going to get any frost. I feel quite sad about it. My local wood has bluebells and snowdrops growing, and the garden is sprouting daffodils! Think we're in for a rough ride with this weather, but not in the rough way that it should be!

How are you all managing? Thinking of all those flooded people.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
We have amber warnings for rain and wind here in my bit of Scotland-with 70mph winds gusting to 93mph overnight. My field isn't poached but its is sucky in the sheltered part and so I've bought mine in for 36 hours for a break. Everything is battened down (including my big 10 x 8 henhouse that was rolled over a couple of times on the night of the 23rd) and anything not nailed down is inside. We're on a big hill so no flooding except for run off through the garden. But I feel for those further down who have had pumps on for days and fully expect our local roads to be impassable tomorrow as they have been several times in the past few weeks.

Fiona

Visit site
We are battening down the hatches for Storm Frank this evening :( and worrying about the wind as surrounded by trees...

Not experienced any flooding, and won't do as like MoC we are on side of a hill, however the fields are lower and have been unuseable for a few days already. Expect it will be Thursday or Friday before the horses get out again, pony has a paddock to himself..

Thankfully we have been able to exercise every day so far..

Fiona

Enfys

Visit site
My ground is frozen and we have snow, I've been shovelling the stuff today :( No fear of flooding as we are on top of a hill, I am hoping that Frank decides to pass on by and leave the UK alone, parts seem to have had dreadful weather and I really feel for those of you who have been flooded, or live in constant fear of it. As for soggy, boggy fields - just yeurgh, I couldn't cope with that anymore. Keep your heads down and stay safe.

Rlister89

Visit site
I'm on the outskirts of York and although it's been horrible, its no where near as bad for me/mine as other areas around here. Mine live out and i've found that they are choosing to stand on the hard standing or in the shelter rather than the field as its so boggy but they are being sensible and have lots of hay/rugs. The youngster has also learnt that water is no longer scary - so atleast one positive! Just glad that they aren't closer to the harder hit areas as I imagine it is a completely different story for a lot of people around here! I have found it amazing though the amount of people who have offered help etc on facebook and people really seem to have pulled together.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I'm lucky that l'm not in a flood area & my heart goes out to those that are. The field that l have is lovely in summer but in winter it's horrendous after a spell of rain. My landlords had drainage put in ob two sides which has helped but there is a small area that water flows & doesn't drain. Although the drainage put in in the summer helped it's not cured it & after the rain we've had recently my horses are fetlock deep in one small area of the field. Sadly it's the blinking place that they like to stand in. Thankfully l've another field l can use but l've tried to hold off putting them in it as there's only about an acre of grazing which isn't ideal & what with the ground saturated l'm concerned about my trio chewing it up quickly. I'll be bringing them in as much as possible but we don't know what sort of weather we're going to get for the reminder of the winter. I'd have a cold winters day like we used to have than a wet windy mild days we have nowadays any day!!!

Count Oggy

Visit site
Badly 😉 the winter paddock is a bog and the summer ones all have standing water. The fields are too wet to ride in so we're stuck with going up the lane and back. I stupidly rode today for the first time over Christmas and had to get off before I was ejected. I think I'll give him the winter off and go into hibernation. Seriously though, even though we have had really bad weather nearly every day for the past two months, we're very lucky compared to some. My heart goes out to all those flooded out, what misery.

dollyanna

Visit site
My ponies are fortunately ok in their huge winter field with food and water on tap without my intervention. We have had a weather warning that flooding is likely to be worse than the weekend of the 6th, and that my village is likely to be cut off again. Doesn't bother me too much, I have food etc and nowhere to be urgently anyway this week as off work, I just won't be able to see my fiance, but I feel for the police and other emergency services as they have had a really rough time this past month and really don't need any more.
Having seen Carlisle only 2 weeks ago I really hope that things aren't as bad as expected and those areas that have already been devastated survive this without too much further trauma.

EventingMum

Visit site
Having marvelled all the way through October at how mild and dry it was it now feels as though it has rained ever since! I live in a very wet area anyway but the amount of water has been phenominal. Our fields are wet, we live at the bottom of a hill and our land drains run out to an estury so don't work when the tide is in resulting in standing water. All the horses are in overnight at this time of year and are coping with the odd day in as they get a run in the school or go on the walker if not ridden but I'm starting to get fed up now and desperately want some dry weather. It has also been unseasonably mild, we've only had one proper frost so far - cold and dry would be so much better than warm and wet. We're also just waiting to see what Storm Frank brings, our local town had pallets of sandbags being delivered today so some flooding is obviously being anticipated. I hope the high winds don't cause much damage, I'm rather partial to my roofs staying intact. I hope everyone and their horses stay safe especially those who have already had to contend with flooding this year.

Makemineacob

Visit site
We are on the outskirts of york and have had three truly terrifying days. We have been inches away from loosing everything (we live in a bungalow with the stables next to the house and are on flat land), we have had friends on standby who live further away to help get the horses and us out. Thankfully so far we have survived but my heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the flooding.

Water is receding but god only knows what the storm will bring.

One thing I have to say I am horrified of is that there has been looting apparently and to the scum who are praying on victims of the flooding, I hope you rot in hell.

flirtygerty

Visit site
We are better off than most here in Northumberland, but the stream burst it's banks on Boxing Day flooding the lower part of the field, the water run off from the upper fields is cascading through the upper part, so my lot are in the barn, being walked out daily, wind howling round the house now, hope it dies off for tomorrow

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We have been on the outskirts of floods. The villages flooded, we are further up. I had to drive to London on Boxing Day and had to attempt 3 different routes to get out of the local area as roads were flooded. Our fields are puddles. Yet again I am so thankful for our hardstanding winter turnout. I think it's in its 5th winter now and saves us from having to keep the horses stabled. The sheep had to move up hill as their feet were getting bad from all the damp.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
We are on the outskirts of york and have had three truly terrifying days. We have been inches away from loosing everything (we live in a bungalow with the stables next to the house and are on flat land), we have had friends on standby who live further away to help get the horses and us out. Thankfully so far we have survived but my heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the flooding.

Water is receding but god only knows what the storm will bring.

One thing I have to say I am horrified of is that there has been looting apparently and to the scum who are praying on victims of the flooding, I hope you rot in hell.

I think the looting is uncalled for people should be pulling together at times like this not doing such awful things when people have lost everything.
l know afew years ago when we had the heavy snow the A road near the M1 was blocked & cars just parked up only to be broke in. There was a guy who was pulling cars out that had slid into a ditch & he ended up sliding into it we pulled him out & he left his car in a layby. the next day we found all its windows broken & someone had pushed it back into the ditch writing it off scumbags comes to mind!!!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I'm on the outskirts of York and although my town has been flooded luckily it didn't reach my house and my horse is in a different area. But the fields and arena are completely saturated which makes it difficult to ride, and the gateways are just full of standing water. However my situation is nowhere near as bad as some - unfortunately doesn't seem to be getting much better anytime soon as we are forecast even more rain and wind in the next couple of days!