Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've just heard on Facebook that they've had a big fire resulting in some animals perishing, and are looking for help from other rescues for dogs that survived. If anyone is involved in rescues in the North west could you pass this on.

deb_l222

Visit site
Utterly dreadful and senseless. Think the estimate is only 20 dogs survived. There's been an arrest (according to GMP Facebook page) but I guess the most they can charge him with is arson, which is equally criminal.

Might be worth re-posting in tack room OP as it will reach a wider audience.

B_2_B

Visit site
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r-dogs-7758087

Update: we have just been told by Greater Manchester Police that up to 43 animals are believed to have died in the fire.
GMP also confirm they have arrested a male youth on suspicion of arson. He is in police custody being questioned.

"It's an extremely chaotic scene in the small suburban street off Church Lane, leading to the dogs home.
Over 100 people are currently at the scene with more arriving all the time.
Many are bringing blankets, dog food, and dog crates to take the animals to temporary shelter.
The block which was on fire was Block 5 - the shelter's medical department but the fire then spread to other kennel areas.
Members of staff - fighting back tears - have told how they cannot believe.
It is believed some dogs are still trapped in the smoke-clogged kennels."

Is anybody near that could offer a foster home? I think they will get enough blankets etc. but may need fosters for a while. Abut 150 dogs rescued that have nowhere to stay.
Crofters House,Moss Brook Road
Manchester M9 5PG
Totally evil little scumbag, I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist!

I can't imagine trying to get all those poor dogs out, it's not like you can just let them all out at once, they had to take them out one by one and chain them up outside.

ribbons

Visit site
I am absolutely amazed at the amount of money raised in such a short time, over a million pounds now.
Why are so many rescue centres struggling financially if people are prepared to give like this.
Why does it need such a high profile incident to obtain help for homeless /abused dogs.
Folk are strange.

Luci07

Visit site
Because the vast majority of people really don't know how bad the situation is. Much as I love Paul O Grady, his show does perpetuate the myth that all rescue dogs find nice new homes. Not that pounds only keep for 7 days, rescues are overflowing with heavily stretched volunteers and people keep breeding for a quick buck. When the media starts showing the perfectly healthy young dogs that are being destroyed for lack of space and a home… thats when it might start to change.