Mane and tail maintenance!

tatty_v

Visit site
Any tips on how best to manage a fluffy and sticky mane and tail on a Shetland?

My Connie x has a lovely silky mane and tail so it takes very little maintenance to keep it tangle-free. As he’s a grey I probably wash it once a week/fortnight depending on the weather and the mud.

The new addition, however, has a very bouffant hair do!! It’s quite wavy and fluffy post wash (but easy to brush) then it gets gradually stickier and harder to de-tangle as the week goes on. Wash or don’t wash? Conditioner? Frizz-ease??! I think he and I need help! ?

A734F8B6-14CC-4A40-B784-0D108CBF6DD1.jpegC9A963C1-CF2A-4012-B645-5726E80CD6F7.jpeg

holeymoley

Visit site
How cute is he! Definitely looks a character.

Mine is half native pony, half cob so he has that issue with the tail. I just leave it. I shampoo and slather it in coditioner when it gets washed and then spray it with detangler then just leave it. Unless I'm showing then it'll get brushed out. The more you brush the more it all goes crazy!

PSD

Visit site
My fell is high maintenance! I oil her mane weekly with pig oil and sulphur, wash and condition it too once a week too. She wears a sweet itch rug to stop her rubbing it out and I only brush it with a body brush every time it’s washed. I only use my fingers to get rid of any knots, don’t use mane and tail and it contains something that makes it dry and brittle.

same as HM, don’t brush if you can. Tail I never brush unless I’m showing, feather (I know yours doesn’t have it) gets oiled 2/3 times a week to prevent snapping too.