Mane falling out... solutions please!

ponyparty

Visit site
Hi all

Bruce's mane is falling out, in about a 6" section, about 6" up from the base of his mane :(

He has to wear rugs with a neck as he gets eaten alive by the flies and has an allergic reaction to their bites - the vet recommended that we keep him covered as much as possible.

He's out overnight and in during the day now, so the rugs are on for longer, so I think this is why the problem has started now. He was in a rug with (detachable) neck over winter but was only out for a few hours in the day and there was no rubbing.

He has a fly rug with fixed neck, a lightweight with fixed neck and a mediumweight with half neck.

Any bright ideas on how to stop them rubbing, or other alternative solutions?

I have had a google/search on here and people seem to be saying use show sheen - but doesn't this get on the reins and make them slippy? Are rugs with detachable necks better, to stop rubbing?

Had to plait him up for dressage yesterday and it was literally coming out in clumps when I undid the plaits, worried he's going to have a bald patch soon! :'(

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
It could be that one of the rugs he wears currently is putting some sort of pressure on his crest and causing the mane to fall out in that spot - it really doesn't take much. I find winter rugs have much stiffer neckpieces so they stand up away from the mane, but lighter rugs can sometimes press or bunch up around that area of mane you mentioned is falling about.

be positive

Visit site
Having several rugs will help so you can swap them around, detachable necks are better as they don't have the join built in exactly where the mane gets rubbed, using a product to keep the mane slippery will help, yes it does get on the reins but wear a pair of gloves and you should be fine, I use the product linked below on one slightly itchy horse, it has really helped stop his mane loss and is a good conditioner if rather slippery to deal with.

http://equispada.com/product/alva-itch-spray/

Lydiamae

Visit site
I have a trad cob, and stopped using full neck rugs for this reason. Even in 6" of snow he only wears a standard neck haha! However, for someone in your position, and what I have done in the past is go to the haberdashery, or cut up some silk pyjamas or similar and sew an insert into the neck of the rug where it is rubbing or over the neck seam. This has helped me in the past. Good Luck.

Annagain

Visit site
Keeping his mane and the rug as clean as possible will help too - the grease (in his mane or on the neck cover) will stop the neck cover sliding easily. Wash his mane (head and shoulders is good for itchy horses) at least twice a week and wash the neck cover as soon as you start to see a bit of grease build up. Then apply lots of mane and tail conditioner to the mane and the neck cover - basically you want to make everything as slippery as possible and avoid friction.

ponyparty

Visit site
Thanks all, great suggestions.

I bathed him on Saturday, with anti dandruff shampoo for sensitive skin - so got that bit right! Will continue to do his mane at least once per week.

And will get some conditioner/anti itch spray - thanks for the recommendation, be positive. Just worry that, as he's the riding school's horse, slippy reins isn't really ideal! I know to wear gloves, but others might not... Will have to check with our head girl first.

And will also look at other rugs with detachable necks. I would try the silk thing, but I'm caggy-handed with a needle and thread, and somewhat lacking in free time!

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks all, great suggestions.

I bathed him on Saturday, with anti dandruff shampoo for sensitive skin - so got that bit right! Will continue to do his mane at least once per week.

And will get some conditioner/anti itch spray - thanks for the recommendation, be positive. Just worry that, as he's the riding school's horse, slippy reins isn't really ideal! I know to wear gloves, but others might not... Will have to check with our head girl first.

And will also look at other rugs with detachable necks. I would try the silk thing, but I'm caggy-handed with a needle and thread, and somewhat lacking in free time!

As long as they're rubber grip, they should be fine.

ponyparty

Visit site
As long as they're rubber grip, they should be fine.

Cool :) thanks!
Oh and I know you said wash his mane twice per week but that's probably not feasible as I'm only up about 3 time per week and time constraints... So once/week will have to do for now, and just see how he goes.
Looking at rugs with detachable necks/anti rub features now...

Annagain

Visit site
Cool :) thanks!
Oh and I know you said wash his mane twice per week but that's probably not feasible as I'm only up about 3 time per week and time constraints... So once/week will have to do for now, and just see how he goes.
Looking at rugs with detachable necks/anti rub features now...

Life gets in the way sometimes. I'm sure once a week will be fine.