Mane falling out

wilsha

Visit site
My Connemaras mane is falling out, even had a chunk of it come out the other day, he wears a turnout snuggy hood to help but still is falling out, I have washed the snuggy hood to help as well.

He comes in at night and wears either a no neck rug or a rug with a silky inside to help stop rubbing.

Does anyone have any ideas to help, especially as I need to plait to go hunting!

Thanks

xgemmax

Visit site
mine seems to be ok with his snuggy on this year! What stopped it before though is a premier equine rug as the neck covers are shaped well that they don't rub. Other than that keep the mane clean as I find they rub more when greasy

Wimbles

Visit site
I have found that it's not so much the rubbing that has mad my horses mane fall out in the past, it's them getting too hot and with it being so mild this year, mine have gone neckless.

ossy

Visit site
I've found its the heat generated under a hood that then makes the mane fall out with the slightest of rubs. Mine hasn't had a full neck near her yeti do she's fully clipped, so still has a full neck of mane. I've just had to cope with a bit of I muddy neck every night.

Shay

Visit site
I found the snuggy hoods tended to make them too hot and then actually made the mane loss worse because the fit was so close. I had better results with a Bossy Bib mane protector. You have to rug for your horse, your conditions and the workload you have. If you need a full neck (and I do) then some level of mane loss is going to be inevitable. but making sure they don't get too warm (difficult in this freaky weather!) seems to be the key.

saddlesore

Visit site
No neck- I'm trying to grow back a long mane on my traddy cob as his was trashed by a neck rug. If your horses neck is clipped it'll just need a quick brush to look tidy and keep plenty of mane spray on to stop the mud from sticking :)

Allie374

Visit site
I would avoid necks too. My lad goes nuts if he is too hot.... and somehow gets 6ft3 ers off !

Shy has an amazing mane and tail now... i use pig oil and sulphur on the roots, snd then brush it down. Also on his feathers. The only feed he gets is Top Spec Lite with a bit of sunflower oil.

Hope that helps.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My Connemaras mane is falling out, even had a chunk of it come out the other day, he wears a turnout snuggy hood to help but still is falling out, I have washed the snuggy hood to help as well.

He comes in at night and wears either a no neck rug or a rug with a silky inside to help stop rubbing.

Does anyone have any ideas to help, especially as I need to plait to go hunting!

Thanks
Could be a number of things I suggest a skin scrape as it could be Staph aureus. Is the skin red or scabby/sore looking? does the hair come out when you touch it, is it getting thin in places or looks like psoriasis in places.

Bacteria attack the hair root causing it to come out easily

All my rugs are combos and all my horses have long healthy manes - so I would run this past your vet, as little is known about Staph aureus. I learnt how to deal and manage it with my late mare but noone here ever thinks of it as they have not experienced it

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/19802/methicillin-resistant-i-staphylococcus-aureus-i-a-review

Last edited:

wilsha

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. I worry that if he wore a standard neck rug he woul trash the hood, he is so filthy it's almost impossible to keep him clean without! (Naturally he's grey!) I can't imagine he would be too hot as he is fully clipped out and only wearing a medium weight (once clipped he pretends to be a TB rather than a native pony!) I might try him without a neck on the rug and see how we get on!

sasquatch

Visit site
My boy has a shoulder length mane, he has no neck rug (and never has) and I find his neck is kept warm by how thick his mane is (he does have a double mane though) the only parts of his mane that have been rubbed was at his wither, by his rug. So that part has now been hogged off as it was so short, got caught on everything and probably irritated him as it would catch in his rug/saddle etc.

if your mane is long enough, keeping it in plaits that hang can help the same way they do with human hair. also making sure you don't wash it too much, or overbrush as that can pull the hair out as well. Making sure your horse is well hydrated and not lacking in electrolytes/vitamins etc. is also good.

If his mane is really uneven, it may be an idea to hog it now so it all grows back at the same length. Not ideal if you want to be able to plait for shows, but if he has rubbed whole sections out may look neater now than uneven plaits and scraggly rubbed out sections of mane.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Thank you everyone for your replies. I worry that if he wore a standard neck rug he woul trash the hood, he is so filthy it's almost impossible to keep him clean without! (Naturally he's grey!) I can't imagine he would be too hot as he is fully clipped out and only wearing a medium weight (once clipped he pretends to be a TB rather than a native pony!) I might try him without a neck on the rug and see how we get on!

It would probably be better to take the hood off and leave the neck on. Those hoods do seem to create a lot of heat and sit closely to the neck. A clean neck cover imo would be much better.

ihatework

Visit site
It is very mild at the moment. I'd suggest the likeliest cause is your horse is over rugged making the hair more likely to fall out. Try removing all forms of neck cover - you might have to groom a little more but your horse will probably appreciate it!