Mane plaiting - anyone actually known one be stolen?

dollyanna

Visit site
I have always poopoo'd the idea of mane plaiting as a form of marking for theft - it doesn't make sense to me. But there have been 2 horses in my village who have been plaited, they are distinct plaits with bands in, in the middle of the mane. It still doesn't make sense to me because they were plaited last night and found today - so how the thieves thought they would come and get them without anyone noticing the plait first I don't know - but given it is so close to home you just start to question yourself!!

Has anyone ever actually known, in person, of a horse who has been taken after plaiting? I guess it's a slightly daft question because you wouldn't necessarily know, but have there been plaits in your area followed by thefts of other horses? ie the ones that weren't vigilant or noticed potential plaits?

Mine are pretty safe where they are so I am not too concerned but it does make your heart jump a little!

I'm still inclined to think it is kids or something, but haven't found out exactly which yard it was on yet to know if there are kids on the yard that might have done it.

wills_91

Visit site
I have always poopoo'd the idea of mane plaiting as a form of marking for theft - it doesn't make sense to me. But there have been 2 horses in my village who have been plaited, they are distinct plaits with bands in, in the middle of the mane. It still doesn't make sense to me because they were plaited last night and found today - so how the thieves thought they would come and get them without anyone noticing the plait first I don't know - but given it is so close to home you just start to question yourself!!

Has anyone ever actually known, in person, of a horse who has been taken after plaiting? I guess it's a slightly daft question because you wouldn't necessarily know, but have there been plaits in your area followed by thefts of other horses? ie the ones that weren't vigilant or noticed potential plaits?

Mine are pretty safe where they are so I am not too concerned but it does make your heart jump a little!

I'm still inclined to think it is kids or something, but haven't found out exactly which yard it was on yet to know if there are kids on the yard that might have done it.

No. Why would someone snoop around and obviously mark an animal for theft, drawing attention to it?!

dollyanna

Visit site
Well exactly, which is why I find it hard to believe! But it's funny what having it happen on your doorstep does to your mind :-D

wills_91

Visit site
Has it really though :p. I remember it being rumoured around my area and you are right it does send your mind into over drive however the source couldnt/wouldn't confirm the yard it had happened at. My mare has been on box rest for 6 weeks and last week she had the most perfect plait in her mane, no idea how.

Equi

Visit site
My mum is not particularly horsey and I often think she wouldn't notice the little things but she called the other day saying a car had stopped at the gate and there was a man trying to open it (you can't see the gate from the house so she must have noticed the car slow and went out to see)

Naturally I fly home and put them in the stable and practically get guard dogs on patrol lol

She then tells me he had a small child with him and was trying to call the darling little ponies over for a pat.

bumper

Visit site
I really doubt it. Think about it..if they can get close enough to a horse to plait it's mane, why not take it then? Most of the "plaits" i have seen are merely what the wind would do!

Boulty

Visit site
Not as such although there were some very dodgy goings on at a friend of mine's field that required police involvement and the first odd thing they noticed was a plaited mane. Said friend did an all night stake out at the field as they were worried and they DID get some dodgy people coming in the dead of night who legged it when they realised they were being watched.

Having said all that it's amazing what interesting things a few burrs can do to a mane or tail with no human involvement and some of the cob mares with foals at foot where I am at moment have some seriously impressive "plaits" going on that are in reality just where the hair is tangled thru lack of brushing / bits of leaves / twigs / burrs getting stuck in it

Leo Walker

Visit site
Nope and having turned my youngster away in a field with lots of other youngsters owned by travellers, they nearly died laughing when I asked them about it!

dollyanna

Visit site
I've always had long maned ponies so know what wind knots/plaits can look like. It was reported to the police as that's where I heard about it, and there are photos of the apparent plaits that do look like wind plaits but apparently have bands in. I have just spoken to the lady who owns one of the plaited horses, they were both youngsters so I suspect they live out (knowing the yard) and the weather has turned so I'm still inclined to think it is just the weather. I wonder if the "bands" are actually wrapped hair.

dollyanna

Visit site
Just looked at the photo closer and to me it looks like the hair has twisted round itself - it's not even a plait, it's 3 pieces of hair caught together :-D I'm not worried, if you were going to mark a horse for theft I think I would plait it well enough to actually be certain I could see it again!

If you scroll down the comments there is a photo in the middle of them.

https://www.facebook.com/DumfriesGallowayPoliceDivision/posts/900072323406413?fref=nf

NZJenny

Visit site
It is common here for properties with dogs to be marked for stealing for dog fighting whether as fighting dogs or bait dogs. Usually chalk marks on fences or the road side. Occasionally it will be a bandana tied to a fence.

Also tinny houses (sell dope) are marked with a pair of sneakers hanging over the power lines outside. But that could just be an urban myth, as I've never tested it.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Do horses even get stolen from fields though?
Who takes them, why & what do they do with them without a passport?
How do they move the horses? Trailer? Lorry? What if the horse doesn't load?
I know a lot of people scream 'gypsy/travellers' but my experience is that these guys have enough nice horses of their own without going through the hassle of stealing some nondescript gelding from Hampshire 😂

To be honest if I was of the light fingered persuasion I could walk onto any yard where horses are kept & with the tack, rugs, electric fencing energisers, grooming equipment, clippers etc steal more value just armed with a set of bolt cutters!

EstherYoung

Visit site
Having looked at the pic that is definitely a wind plait. Ours are quite artistic with theirs. I remember once, Wolf managed to get his decorated with berries too, all along the crest of his neck.

HashRouge

Visit site
Do horses even get stolen from fields though?
Who takes them, why & what do they do with them without a passport?
How do they move the horses? Trailer? Lorry? What if the horse doesn't load?
I know a lot of people scream 'gypsy/travellers' but my experience is that these guys have enough nice horses of their own without going through the hassle of stealing some nondescript gelding from Hampshire ��

To be honest if I was of the light fingered persuasion I could walk onto any yard where horses are kept & with the tack, rugs, electric fencing energisers, grooming equipment, clippers etc steal more value just armed with a set of bolt cutters!

Exactly! You could probably nab some seriously nice horses without too much trouble!

And having looked at the picture, I'm certain that is a wind plait. It's actually kind of funny that the owner thinks otherwise!

dollyanna

Visit site
And having looked at the picture, I'm certain that is a wind plait. It's actually kind of funny that the owner thinks otherwise!
Yeah once I'd seen the photo I wasn't worried, it is laughable that someone thinks that is clear enough to mark a horse for theft.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Funnily enough, I used to drive through a really notorious place on my way to work, largely populated by tenants the council had put out there because it was the back of beyond and they were trouble-makers - the police closed down all the pubs because of the fighting, etc. I could well imagine that a great many people have dope instead of cornflakes for their breakfast there :) and yes, there was a pair of trainers hanging off the telephone lines on one road. I would imagine that would be a very lucky throw to get a pair up there without them either missing or just falling off again.

Equi

Visit site
Lots of horses are just taken half the time for no reason they never seem any good. One has been stolen here a youngish mini Shetland. Tbh it's just another big shmtsbdard small pony so why? What's the point? If you are going to steal one at least steal a good mare to get a foal or a good stallion and cover him as many times as possible. I just don't get **** horses being stolen.