Mane Pulling - yearling

liannexsx

Visit site
Just wondering how others have introduced their youngsters to the dreaded mane pulling? Started Mya's properly tonight, she's not happy but tolerating it the wee soul. Instinctively I'll do a little every night and do the approach and retreat style but wondering how others do it.
She's standing better than other youngsters i've had to be fair!

competitiondiva

Visit site
You could try putting clove oil onto the crest, it numbs the skin to some extent, so use gloves when applying it!!! I'm dreading doing mine!! They're both turned away so not doing it this year, but my warmblood cross has definately NOT taken after his mum in his mane, She has quite a fine one that pulls easily, his mane on the other hand is a thick, out of control chestnut mane!!!!

liannexsx

Visit site
yeh i think if she becomes too problematic i'll use clove all. she's just walking back n forward just now, thinking about what she can do to get out of it. luckily her mane is still quite foaly too

Tickles

Visit site
This sounds sooo fluffy but, erm, you're taking babies and pulling their hair out by the roots - yuck! It is bad enough what people (mostly women) do to themselves in this respect. About time we left the poor horses alone!