Mane regrowth

holeymoley

Visit site
So done to death I'm sure but what does everyone recommend for mane regrowth?

I've addressed diet- he was insulin resistant and what I thought was sweet itch was probably due to having excess sugars in his body. So the diet has been addressed for almost 2 years. Hoof quality, etc all fab but he has one part of his mane that is just very thin. It may be that the hair follicles are knackered but I would love to try something to get them back. I have an old bottle of Eqyss MTG and have started rubbing that on but I have very little left and at £25 a bottle it's a bit steep! o_O Are there any other miraculous products or shall I have to part with another £25!

Green Bean

Visit site
I have a similar issue with my mare, very thick from the middle up towards her ears, but the first 20cm or so is thin. She doesn't have your contributing health issues holeymoley but I occasionally use an inexpensive itch liquid and rub it into the base of the mane in case she it itching when I am not around (haven't ever seen her itching it)

Annagain

Visit site
I dilute megatek (about 1 /3 megatek and 2/3 water), put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, brush it through and leave it. It lasts much longer than using it the proper way and seems to have the same effect.

TPO

Visit site
Shapelys MTG is my go to but I've also used Megatek with success.

Coconut oil is a good shout. I think it's about £3 for a tub from Superdrug. I've never used it on a horse but its touted for helping the regrowth eyebrows/eyelashes. Whether that's the oil or the massaging who knows but at that price it's worth a go.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If there was a product that really, truly regrew hair (or alternatively removed wrinkles) it would be out there, making billions for its' marketers. IF hair is going to grow back, it will do so at its own pace no matter what you rub on it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If there was a product that really, truly regrew hair (or alternatively removed wrinkles) it would be out there, making billions for its' marketers. IF hair is going to grow back, it will do so at its own pace no matter what you rub on it.

I agree in principle but if it is going to grow back by itself cornucrescine does make it get there faster :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So done to death I'm sure but what does everyone recommend for mane regrowth?

I've addressed diet- he was insulin resistant and what I thought was sweet itch was probably due to having excess sugars in his body. So the diet has been addressed for almost 2 years. Hoof quality, etc all fab but he has one part of his mane that is just very thin. It may be that the hair follicles are knackered but I would love to try something to get them back. I have an old bottle of Eqyss MTG and have started rubbing that on but I have very little left and at £25 a bottle it's a bit steep! o_O Are there any other miraculous products or shall I have to part with another £25!

I keep mane clean
use a bossy bib mane guard
wear turnouts with neck
use https://www.honestriders.co.uk/products/well-gel-mane-event
no hard plastic brushes and only when cowboy magic or similar is on it so no tugging and breaking

I wont use turnouts without necks, as They can get Staph Aureus which weakens the mane causing it to come out, also itchy horse rubs mane on trees and fencing and you find half the mane disappearing

Quigleyandme

Visit site
One of mine has sweet itch and I agree that frequent washing with a mild shampoo like Dermaline really does seem to help more than topical stuff. The horse seems much less itchy with a clean mane and tail and the texture of the hair is much nicer. Huge flakes of scurf come away and I think that is probably almost as itchy as the wretched midge bites. He is also supplemented with linseed and brewers yeast.